Flops' Friday mini blog

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
So glad you were able to rescue your Marantz CD player, nice job Sir Flopps. :thumb:

You did well with your vinyl haul. There'll be a few hours of listening pleasure with that wonderfully varied selection, methinks :nod: Also, part of the pleasure is in seeing those old album sleeves. No doubt about it, the purchase of an LP which had a "special" sleeve, always added to the thrill, I think.

Oh dear... good old Sun eh? Their version of the event was certainly much more lurid than your recollection of what really happened that night.

Happy listening Flopps :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not much going down really, should I keep this going? Health wise no new probs and I'm still here :D Guys Hospital should have given me a checkup on December 1st but they didn't, Guys Hospital dentist were supposed to be treating me and promised me an appointment when I last saw them in March but they haven't. Those budget cuts cut deep indeed. Still, I ain't too bothered, not really in any discomfort and seeing the oncologist always scares the bejayzuz out of me anyway so in one way I'd rather not know, lol ;)

I will email the dentist though and ask for an appointment, having to eat with little saliva and few teeth which means chewing is nigh on impossible is not much fun, they may be able to make me some dentures.

Cancer! It is SO much fun people, the disease of choice and a really handy aid to slimming :) I know, I know, I'm lucky, I not dead yet and so many are but sometimes I just want to scream. Yes, I'll skeem and skeem again until I'm sick.

Enough of that.

My daughter Lucy finally started full time work as a paramedic almost 4 weeks ago and on her first 'Blue run' which is driving as fast as you can to a medical case with blue lights flashing she wondered whilst approaching a roundabout 'Why are all these vehicles pulling over to let me pass?' And then she realised :D I suppose it takes some getting used to.

And then on her 4th week she gets... Jury Service. Which she could have done without but she's confident it won't put her out of favour with her employers. Who are the Ambulance Service which covers Cardiff where she lives with her boyfriend Ned and works.

I almost wasn't able to give my three a Christmas present but then out of the blue I get a job and installed a new sound system in a school in Chelsea last Friday which was a bit good and something of a life saver :)

Last night I went to see a band:

8wYYNRdh.jpg

7OeuSDEh.jpg

HVF6newh.jpg

A great evening, not the real thing, I know, but as good as it's ever going to get since the Captain left us. I simply won't go and see tribute bands but these fellas at least have genuine credentials to play Dons' songs, three of them having been in original Magic Band lineups. The Borderline was very full but not uncomfortably hot. Nice little venue, have been there on and off over the years, easy to get served at the bar.

Lousy pix, taken with iPhone 4, if I'd known I'd have taken my camera, we weren't searched on the way in. Five of us went and on the way back we really did try very hard to get into trouble and be very naughty boys indeed but the first club we walked straight into (fully expecting to be challenged) let us straight in so down to the basement we went where some Mexicana/Jazz/Salsa type band were playing - lively stuff! We had another drink and so to Charing Cross station and buzzing, nice warm glow.

I wonder whether we would have gained club admission had we been younger! Could this be an advantage of advancing years? The Borderline said 'Photo ID may be required' so I thought about this and brought with me..... my Freedom Pass! :D Has it really come to this? Oh dear, hee-hee

And yes, they played The Floppybootstomp.

I really should do this more often :)

And that's all for now folks...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Another vote here, to please keep your blog going. :D

You're very charitable to blame the lack of medical/dental appointments on budget cuts. In this neck of the woods, it is usually down to the inefficiency of clerical staff. No, I'm not even being unkind. 'Tis true.

Take prescriptions for instance. Like a lot of places, there's a 48 hour wait, between submitting the request, and receiving a 'script. All the GP has to do is sign them... everything else is organised by the reception/secretarial staff. They receive an e-mailed, repeat 'script request... all neatly laid out on their web-form. (My OH is on regular meds.) But the staff regularly make some awful blunders and errors... wrong med strengths; sometimes wrong meds!

To make matters worse, when their error is pointed-out, they try to make one wait and return in another 48 hours, just to alter the darned prescription. Crazy, particularly for some folk, who are elderly and not very mobile.

Anyway, hope you're able to get your appointments sorted soon.

Congrats to your daughter Lucy. Imho, the Paramedics do a brilliant job. Best of luck to her.

Sounds like you and your mates enjoyed a really good night. :thumb: Hahaha, I loved the mental picture of you flashing your Freedom Pass to get into a club. Priceless! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I honestly think this thread has run it's life now to be quite honest. Having said that, the forum generally has been quiet, has it not?

Anyhow, I'll just spout off a bit anyway. I watched the film 'Rush' just now, imo absolutely great film, whether you're a motor racing fan or not. The first motor race in the film is at London's Crystal palace Motor Racing circuit in 1970, when James Hunt was racing in the Formula III class.

At that time, as I have oft remarked before, I was working for a local newspaper as a typewriter-basher and used to cover many race meetings at Crystal Palace for the paper's sports pages. Not that I had a clue about any sport in particular but the newspaper I worked for was on a budget and so I was an instant authority on all sports, from Motor Racing to football to Hurling.

For much the same reason some photographic equipment was thrust at me and I was an instant photographer. What the NUJ (National Union Of Journalists) would have said about this I don't know as the esteemed organ I toiled for didn't recognise unions. I was loaned to use a Nikon F SLR; a Rolleiflex TLR and a Megablitz flash pack, all of which I had not a clue how to use but I did, eventually, learn (after a fashion).

But, Crystal Palace Motor Racing. I can't remember when it was ('70 or '71) but I did see James Hunt race there a few times. On one occasion I was watching about 20 metres from the finish line and watching James Hunt drive. The race was 20 laps and James led nearly all the race. He came round the last bend on the last lap in sight of the chequered flag when suddenly a driver lagging behind who he'd lapped pulled over in front of him, they collided and James Hunt spun out, stopped, and lost the race.

He was so mad, James, that he leapt out of his car, ran over to the driver who'd crashed with him and gave him a right hander or six. I was so gobsmacked at this apparently loss of professional protocol that I quite forgot to take a picture. An historic moment and I missed it completely, lol

I may well have related this tale before but hey, at my age I'm allowed to be like my Dad and tell the same stories numerous times ;)

Other stuff; New Years Eve me and Johnny drove to Swindon in the pouring torrential rain so I could collect an Akai 4000DS reel to reel tape recorder I'd bought on Ebay for £60. It is cosmetically perfect, it works, but I made a recording and it has wow and flutter on the last part of the reel's playback. I have bought a replacement belt set and service manual, will do that thing soon and hope it will be ok.

Put a loudspeaker into a new classroom at a school in Fulham today with Johnny, in this state of semi-retirement it's kinda pleasing when people still phone me up and ask me to do stuff.

Hospital check-up February 13th, should've been December 1st but I don't really care tbh.

Eldest offspring has finally landed a full time 9-5 job at Blackfriars for good money, I'm really happy about that. Twin offspring still working as teacher and paramedic respectively. Ex wife # 2 still living in Frome, whereabouts of ex-wife # 1 still unknown, not that I'm bothered, lol

I'm just about to start making an Electronic speed controller for one of my turntables, I'll probs post some pix of this, it's promising to be good, albeit a litle complicated to make.

Got my Assassins Creed IV freebie game loaded today, played some, it's quite good, although sometimes it's hard to figure out what you have to do or where you gotta go. Looks absolutely gorgeous on PC with my GTX760 :)

Oh, there's a ton more crap I could spout off about but as I said, methinks it's time to serve closure on this thread, it's just me ego-tripping really innit?

You folks be well :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hey!

... at over 45 thousand views you want to quit?

There are a lot of people that like reading your musings, yeah, me to, even if we all have some of the same stories, yours are great to read, and are very diverse.

Still think you could right a book.

So, please, no early retirement, you're only 62. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
NOOooooo... please don't stop blogging. Every forum needs to have an area for off-topic stuff, don't you think? In fact, I think it would be very cool if a few more members followed your example and occasionally shared some snippets with us. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I've noticed that it has been a tad quiet on PCR recently, but this time of the year, is often a bit flat - probably the post-Crimbo dip. It even seems to be a bit quiet in town, at the moment.

Hope the new belt will solve your Akai reel-to-reel's wow and flutter. Good luck with fixing it up - I enjoyed years of enjoyment with mine (it wasn't an Akai) when I was young. It was one of the best presents ever, from my parents.

Good luck also with your hospital check-up, hope that goes well for you.

Yay! Good news regarding your eldest daughter's new job. Sounds like they're all doing really well, which is great. Wishing them continuing success in their chosen careers. :)

All the best! :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
What a story! In a way I think it's better to be in the moment than watching it through a camera lens, but it would have made a great photo! ;)

Congrats to your daughter on her new job too, that's great news :thumb:

Please keep this thread going, we all really enjoy reading it! :bow:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I still read your blog Tony, its great, dont stop. :)

Rush is an awesome film, as you said regardless if you like F1 or motor sport in general its well worth a watch. Even the other half liked it and she cant stand F1! haha.

Hope the check up is all good and grats to your daughter, good jobs are hard to find it seems.

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, thanks all :blush:

Found this on a James Hunt Wiki, as told here it's not quite how I remember the incident, I could have sworn fists flew, but it was a long time ago and maybe time has coloured things in my mind. Or maybe they got it wrong...

'Hunt was involved in a controversial incident with Dave Morgan during a battle for second position in the Formula Three Daily Express Trophy race at Crystal Palace on 3 October 1970. Having banged wheels earlier in a very closely fought race, Morgan attempted to pass Hunt on the outside of South Tower Corner on the final lap, but instead the cars collided and crashed out of the race. Hunt's car came to rest in the middle of the track, minus two wheels. Hunt got out, ran over to Morgan and furiously pushed him to the ground,[10] which earned him severe official disapproval. Both men were summoned by the RAC and after hearing evidence from other drivers, Hunt was cleared by a tribunal but Morgan was given a 12-month suspension of his racing licence. '

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Don't you dare give it up flop's..There will be hell to pay :D

Yeah funny how things get changed, I would rather believe your eyewitness account of things and Hunt got away with it too, cheeky beggar..:rolleyes:

Glad the daughters got new job, it helps if its good dough aswell, especially in these hard times...I know because I have just got myself a new job too with decent dough and it took some time and effort to get it..

Hoping news on checkup will be all good mate!! :nod:

Ta ta for now

Reaction score
methinks it's time to serve closure on this thread, :)
No way!!!
This is one of the best threads on this site Tony.
Keep it going, it's interesting and good to hear your view on life.
I for one say keep the Flops Friday mini blog alive as long as you are!!!!:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, you asked for it, gluttons for punishment, the lot of you ;)

Let me recall the less savoury side of this character of mine... could this be therapy! :eek:

'In shrink's voice': Tell me about your childhood....

Let me relate one of the darker episodes in this life of mine. I think it's genuinely recognised that the young male of the species is usually nothing but trouble when he reaches the age of 14. This is the time of life when males of that age usually commit crimes they would never have dreamed of doing just six months previously. They also take it upon themselves to upset their guardians/parents/authority figures as much as is humanly possible and take on an arrogant attitude, symptoms of which include talking back abusively, refusing to do as requested and making a very determined effort to be slovenly and turn their bedroom into a passable replica of the local council's refuse disposal yard.

Why this should be, I know not. Perhaps it's a surge of hormones. Perhaps it's an awakening where the young male realises his life is pretty much ruled by his parents (or, for the politically correct, his guardians) and mistakenly and misguidedly decides to rebel against this, not realising that (in most cases) the folk looking after him only have his best interests at heart.

Whatever the reason most males around the age of 14 become completely obnoxious little gits for a a period of time. This period of time lasts for a minimum of two years and has been known to actually carry on to the age of 54 in some rare cases.

So, when I was 14, attending secondary school, I realised that surviving school was something to be taken seriously. Age 14 at school is, possibly, one of the hardest and cruellest periods in one's life to journey through and come out sane and unbloodied at the end of the journey at age 16 or so.

So, to avoid bullying and ending up with a boxer's nose I befriended one of the school's hard cases. I figured if I was friends with somebody everybody feared then maybe I'd be left alone. So I got talking to Terry Goff (that was his real name) who was rather fond of whacking kids in the mouth just for fun and taking their dinner money from them. He was feared and he was hard. Perfect.

So I asked around, found out what interested him, and got talking to him in the playground at break and dinner times. I managed to engage this local thug in conversation and soon we could be described as, if not friends, then certainly acquaintances. There was one little drawback to this arrangement however, and that was, in order so I didn't end up on the end of his fist, I had to sort of run errands for him.

In short, I became a 'gofer' in exchange for protection. Nothing new here I suppose, this has been going on since time immerorial. But, as long as I could swallow the humility, I soon found out I had some sort of respect now and came to realise I was being left alone, not bullied - result!

This may make me seem a little odious and something of a toady. I did understand this at the time however, but I thought it was a fair price to pay for my new status. I can remember the teachers, noting this new 'friendship' became colder to me, they did not like Terry. I had always constantly been in trouble prior to my forming an alliance with Terry and what puzzled and annoyed the teachers was the fact that I always managed to stay in the top class and come top in most tests and exams yet still got caned and got detention regularly, something of a paradox I suppose.

So, Terry and I came to hang around together, we actually seemed to become quite good friends, though I'm sure both of us were aware we were using each other. Maybe, maybe not, I'll never know. One morning we played truant with two girls, one of which was named Wendy Prosser. I can't remember the other girl's name.

As I remember it we took a train from Grove Park railway station to Hither Green and went back to Wendy's house, which was empty as her parents were working. Her house was quite near the Station Hotel Pub at Hither Green.

We sat around in the living room and after a while Terry and Wendy disappeared upstairs where they stayed for the next hour or so. Myself and the other girl sat downstairs, listened to the radio, talked and drank orange squash. Hey, I was 14, what did I know? After, we took a train back and attended school for the afternoon. To this day I wonder what Terry and Wendy got up to. Perhaps it's best I don't know.

As mine and Terry's friendship grew - and it did grow, he no longer bossed me about so much - we took to playing truant - or 'hopping the wag' as it was then known - more frequently. Then Terry had this idea. He had observed, travelling on buses, that at the end of each bus journey the bus crew would park the bus in the yard or depot and go and have a cup of tea or something.

During their break they would lock the fare takings in a cupboard under the bus stairs, behind where the conductor stood when they weren't busy. This key the conductor carried on a loop on the outside of their leather bag they wore to hold the cash and spare ticket rolls for fares.

So one day, as a conductor was walking up the aisle on the lower floor, I called the conductor over at just the right moment to ask which stop to get off at and while he was distracted Terry nicked the key off the side of his leather bag and quickly put it in his pocket.

We then hung about at the Grove Park bus depot for a few days and observed the comings and goings of the bus crews and made mental notes. We noted that the average time the crews spent in their canteen was 15 - 20 minutes and most crews left their money in the cupboard under the stairs. Some crews, however, perhaps a little wary, took their cash into the canteen with them. Note we were 14 years old at the time, I am still genuinely surprised we had the presence of mind to do this.

We also noticed that most parked buses gave their crews a direct line of sight from the canteen windows to the cash cupboard under the stairs. Except for two parking spaces, immediately outside a small supermarket. The supermarket (Or just a large shop in those days) was not busy and few people from there walked past the two out-of-sight-of-the-crews parked buses.

So, after much talk where we thought we'd covered most angles and issues, we made ready to carry out our first hit. I got on the parked bus, which was empty, so it looked like I was waiting for it to move off for me to journey. From where I was sitting I could see the canteen and could thus give a warning if a crew were making their way back to the bus.

Terry crouched low, got on the bus, opened the cupboard with his stolen key and emptied the contents of two cash boxes into a carrier bag he had with him. He then locked the cupboard, leaving everything as it was and we both slowly walked away from the bus.

Underneath the row of shops where that small supermarket was were a series of service tunnels which you could enter through an open gate to a railway goods yard. This is where we headed, with torches and candles, to inspect our ill gotten gains.

What we had were bags of pennies, sixpences, shillings, florins and half crowns. Shillings were the most common. Counted up, we had bagged about £15 which in 1964 was pretty much an absolute fortune to a pair of 14-year-olds. The only problem, we soon figured, was how to spend all that loose change. Who would take five shillings in pennies without suspecting skulduggery?

I'll tell you who - Wimpy Bars, record shops and any Lewisham market stall, they didn't give a monkeys how the money came in.

We stored the money in this little hard-to-find alcove in those service tunnels, covered it with bricks. Our raids continued, our fortunes swelled and soon we had the best part of £60.00 hidden in a mountain of small change. Our only problem was how to spend it. When you're 14 your desires and wants are really quite modest and all that money was a huge amount to us.
We bought 7" 45 records, some Airfix kits, some new shoes, lots of sweets, new lights and stuff for our bicycles, comics, and we went to the Wimpy Bar a lot. Previously the Wimpy Bar seemed like a luxury, now we were eating there most evenings, we felt like kings, we felt good.

We carried on nicking, there were a couple of close calls, we were almost caught a few times and we were chased twice but a couple of healthy non-smoking 14-year-old boys can outrun a fat smoking middle aged bus conductor.

This lasted just a couple of months, we were lording it up and probably sub-consciously thought that crime does pay. But then one day the stolen key didn't work. They'd changed the lock on the cash cupboard and had obviously sussed what was happening. It couldn't last, could it?

As we looked at each other in the bus, we noticed out the bus window about twenty bus staff running towards the bus with several police officers. Oh crap! We legged it, we outran them, but they'd had a good look at us, two young white lads in school uniforms.

We went down the service tunnel, counted our money and realised our little spree had come to an end. We started attending school regularly again, a week went by. Then one morning I was called to the headmasters office. When I went in, wondering what this was all about, the head teacher introduced me to a CID officer from the local nick.

He told me his name, seemed friendly, the head teacher (actually an acting head teacher, a Mr Sharrock, the regular head, Mr McCarthy, was away, possibly ill and in hospital considering events to come) explained I was to accompany the CID officer as he wanted to interview me. It was not explained to me what the police wanted to interview me for.

So me and this CID officer - and let me explain here folks, this copper was an identikit plod straight out of that TV series 'Life On Mars'. Overweight, mid-height, moustache, shiny suit, smoked and smelt of booze - went walking around the school grounds during lesson time and he proceeded to interview me.

He more or less got straight to the point, he said there had been money stolen from Grove Park Bus Depot and I had been seen there and he had reason to believe I was the one who had stolen it. I, of course, denied it. Unknown to me at the time was that another officer was giving my partner in crime, Terry, the same treatment.

I walked the school grounds with my overweight companion for more than two hours, constantly being questioned. He used every trick in the book to trip me up, tried the soft approach, the hard approach, gentle persuasion, coercion and he very nearly caught me out. But he didn't. I'm still surprised that at the age of 14 I had the presence of mind to mentally outbox this guy and I didn't break down and confess or get caught out.

I was later to learn Terry also resisted coercion. The police left the school, I went back to lessons, no charges were brought and that was the end of that. Or so I thought. Despite the police being unable to prove Terry and I were guilty of any crime the acting head teacher phoned our parents and informed them of events, apparently strongly hinting that we were in fact guilty.

When I got home my Dad confronted me, I denied all and for the first time in my life my dad pretty much beat me up, swung a few good really good right handers at me that connected. During this confrontation I managed to scramble under the kitchen table where my dad continued to try and whack me but only succeeded in cutting his knuckles where they connected with the kitchen table.

Then my Mum, who was pregnant with my little brother at the time and sticking out in front, came into the kitchen and threw the screaming ab-dabs, shouting at my Dad to stop thumping me, which he then did. Dad went upstairs (or possibly down the pub) my Mum went to her bedroom and I sat outside in the garden and felt my bruises.

To this day, and even then, I hold no malice against my father for reacting as he did, I deserved it, I was acting like a little ****.

And that was the end of that, or so I thought, Dad and I got on just fine the next day, the incident wasn't mentioned, and school carried on as normal, albeit with even more hostility from my teachers.

And in case you're wondering, no, I'm not proud of it. I am, perhaps, a little ashamed, but not that much ashamed. And from the age of 19 I've been straight as a die, which I sometimes wonder about...

But, the bus episode wasn't the end of it, two more significant episodes were to occur before I (almost) settled down to a regular pattern...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Almost like an episode from The Sopranos. :thumb:

I was pinched for nicking a book from WH Smith when I was about that age. It was dealt with by the Headmaster, as I was in school uniform at the time, and I got six of the best. My parents were informed but there was no punishment at home.

It was the one and only time.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Flopps, this blog is becoming a page-turner. Two more significant episodes you say..? Please pour yourself a Guinness, (or maybe some coffee, if it's early) and whip those digits into action. We are thirsting for the next installment. :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
You're a really good story teller you know, have you ever thought of writing professionally? Seriously, you should think about it!

Interesting story, and you can tell from the level of detail that it's something you have dwelt on since. It's funny how some memories fade so quickly and others stick with you...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
aye, yes, I think most teenage boys have some similar story ... some, like myself, actually ended up with a term with HMPs ... I may 'tell the tale' one day, isn't as bad as it sounds.

You do have a way of putting things into words ... and I'll say it again, you can write a book. Hopefully we, at PCR, get a signed first edition, hey, I'd even pay for one. :)

:user:

Ask a Question