Windows XP Fixing the display

Reaction score
This is my first post on this site, but I've found help here before, so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum...

Anyways, my father ended up getting his laptop hijacked by Antivirus Gold last night so I was put to work trying to fix it for him. If you haven't come across this lovely virus, it essentially hijacks your desktop background with a huge pop-up ad. Apparently, there was a better way to do this, but because I'm not very good with computers, after all the adware scans, I just erased the source file from the background. The problem now is that I can only get a blank white background. Is there any way that I can restore the file so that I can put normal backgrounds back on this computer? If it helps, he has Windows XP Professional from 2002 running. This is the one where if you right click on the display, there is an option to view the source, which is a file called screen.html.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Danielle

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you know exactly when the virus attacked you could possibly use System Restore to a previous date.

Reaction score
I thought you could stop this by turning active desktop off? Try it, it'll be in crtl panel then display settings then desktop tab, then click on the web tab. I think it's something to do with that.

Ask a Question