Windows XP Windows XP screensavers -- how can I install a new one?

Reaction score
I have a shareware screensaver that I long ago installed into system32 directory; it showed up in my list of screensavers to choose from [Display Properties, Screensaver tab]. Now I see the file is still there, but it no longer shows up to select it and I can't figure out what to do. I love it; I miss it. Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Virgi

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Odd that the screen saver has just disappeared. What is the file type and where is it located?

Reaction score
Hi Becky ---- I searched for .SCR in C/Windows/system32/ and found all other screensavers there. I recopied my file into that directory, set the file names to alpha order, and the file is there. But it doesn't show up in my list of screensavers to choose from [Display Properties, Screensaver tab]. I know it used to be there.

It's called 'cathedral' and was part of a shareware disk I got way back then. This is a laptop I've had since 2003 and it's worked perfectly ever since. I use it now only for my Quicken program [not connected to the web], and for some solitaire and other games. But I love the screensaver. Would love to also find a similar one to use with Windows 8. But searching the web i only get photos of actual cathedrals, which isn't anywhere close to this one.

Suggestions?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you restarted your PC since moving the .scr file to the C:\Windows\System32 folder?

If you manually run the .scr file, does it run? Be careful not to move the mouse immediately after double clicking it, as that will exit it.

Reaction score
Hi Ian. Yes, I've restarted several times ---- we've been working on this for several days. And the file runs if I start it in system32.
what's next?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what else you could try, unfortunately. I wonder if you try temporarily renaming the file if it'll make a difference and show up on the list - I'm not sure why it would, but it's going to do no harm as a test.

Reaction score
Guide Overview
This guide will explain how to change your screensaver on your computer.
Instructions
  1. Minimise all programs so that the desktop is shown.
  2. Right click in an empty space on the desktop.
  3. Left click on "properties"
  4. Click on the "screen saver" tab at the top of the screen.
  5. In the "screen saver" drop down box, select the screensaver you would like to use.
  6. Click "ok" again to finalize the changes made.
I hope it helped

Ask a Question