Finally got Vista Ultimate and am pleased

S

SteveC

I had been running RC1 of Vista Ultimate since October without any real problems except that it seemed sluggish, keystroke shortcuts didn't work, and a few, mostly banking web sites wouldn't come up in IE7 or with MSMoney.

It took me until this week to get the released version, which installed as an upgrade (everyone said not to do it, but I thought, what do I have to lose) and it fixed everything. It all runs much faster and smoother and the buglets I had work fine. The only thing I have notices is sometimes Sidebar forgets the order of its apps on reboot.

I did have to re-activate Windows OneCare, which was odd since I had the latest Vista-compatible version, but it was no problem. I have been running it four days now. I have done a lot of rebooting and cleaning out old files and defragging and backing up, so cannot comment on reliability yet; however, Vista RC1 was the most reliable version of Windows I have ever run, so I expect the final version to be the same or better.

Finally, I hate that I have to confirm everything with UAC, but have gotten used to it by now. I wonder sometimes if we get so used to clicking ok the second time that it loses its effect. Half the time I think, what did I just ok?

On the other hand, I am not as happy with WindowsOneCare under Vista as I was under XP, the tune-up took about an hour or two but under VISTA, it takes forever. I chalked it up at first that I was running a beta under a beta, but now that I have th final versions of both, I am suspecting it has something to do with Vista's security features. It takes roughly 12 hours to run the virus scan and I have a single NTFS harddrive with 22GB of files (74.5 gig total size). I have heard others complain of the same, so need to find out what is going on here.

G

SteveC,

Thank you for sharing your experiences of obviously properly and correctly
Installing Windows Vista.

Simply amazing how well and seamlessly Vista provides user friendly
functionalities when properly installed.

Likely, at this writing, the situation regarding OneCare has been resolved,
required the folks (employees) from Microsoft IT Developers for rectifying
the conflict issues.

Ask a Question