Windows XP File/Internet Sharing

Reaction score
hi ppl

I'm trying to set up a LAN between 2 computers both using XP and using ethernet card...the file and printer sharing is working well however the adsl connection is not working from the client computer... any ideas how to solve this?

Reaction score
yes i used the network wizard... they are working fine but still no internet connectivity on client computer...file and printer sharing working without problems..

what settings should i do for protocols?

Reaction score
Sorry to take so long replying - family problems.

Could be your firewall on the gateway is blocking the connection, I assume you're using Windows Firewall, look in control panel - firewall - advanced and make sure your local area connection is checked.

Reaction score
i'm just using an RJ45 cable from one computer to the other...both having an ethernet card. This setup worked for a year but now i formatted computer and can't set it up again.. i thought may be i haven't set up the protocols well

both LAN and Internet Firewall are off..
File and printer sharing works perfectly,,

The client computer is recognising an internet gateway from host computer and the connection icon in the system try is lighting properly on both computers...however anything that uses the internet on the client computer does not work

thanks

Reaction score
You can try setting your gateway to 192.168.0.1 and your client to 192.168.0.2 with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on both machines, although if you set up the gateway first the client should obtain an IP address automatically from the gateway machine. It's better if the client gets it's address automatically from the gateway as this takes care of DNS as well.

Try typing 72.14.207.99 in your browser address bar on the client and press enter and if it brings up Google you know that you have a DNS problem.

Reaction score
hey,

thanks a lot! It's working.. it was my DNS!.. i followed your steps and working perfectly

Ask a Question