Windows XP File and printer sharing for Microsoft client issue

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I need help with my windows XP Pro SP2 on my T61 laptop. So here is the thing my computer can view shared files from the network and can access C$ of other computers on the same network however when other computers tried to access my computer C$ or other shared folder they only get something like "network path not available". Then I was able to find the problem, it is because of my windows firewall and File and printer sharing for Microsoft clients are not configured so what I did is I disable my windows firewall and enable the file and printer sharing for my network adapter then everything is working fine. Later on after I reboot my laptop the issue came back and the configuration I did for the firewall and file and printer sharing were both reverted back to it's original setting where firewall is enable and file and printer sharing is disable. Does any have here knows how to handle this kind of issue because I'm losing my mind over this one. I did some troubleshooting as enumerated below:

1. Removed File and printer sharing and client for microsoft services on my adapter then uninstall my NIC then reboot my laptop. After rebooting reinstall everything back but to no avail.
2. I was thinking it was some kind of virus or spyware run Symantec client full scan and search and destroy anti-spyware but also didn't help at all.
3. Rerun virus and anti-spyware scan on safe mode but issue still exist.
4. installed SP3 hoping is has some fix for this but still no luck.

Please help guys..
Jon

Reaction score
Disabling the firewall isn't wise unless you have an alternative installed.
Remove the option for you to be notified about the firewall being disabled in the MS Security Centre.
Configure it all again.
Report the outcome.... more than likely someone clicked the the red shield and followed the fix me option.

Reaction score
It's mainly caused by your symantec anti-virus. Sure you installed nortan anti-virus.
Sometimes nortan products may cause many compatible problems.

to change your network file shared issues, do as follows:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa”
Modify value "restrictanonymous"=”0x00000000”
Locate and then click the following registry subkey: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa”
Modify value "Crestrictanonymoussam"=”0x00000000”
Close Regedit Editor
Restart Windows.

also you may download a free tool to do this. url: http://www.digitalsupporttech.com

hope that can help you with your problems.

Ask a Question