Event viewer is broken

rob davis

Since i installed sp4 on my windows 2000 server, the event
viewer stopped logging any information. At first, i would
go into event viewer and it would list at the top that
their are for events, but the event would not be displayed
in the viewer window, so i would just close event viewer
and go back in a couple time then they would appear.... now
no messages appear at all....nothing....

any ideas?

thanks

rob davis

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Rob,

Thank you for using our news group.

Please check if the Event Log service is started. To do so, please run
SERVICES.MSC and double-click the "Event Log" item in the right pane. Then
check its Startup Type (should be Automatic) and Service Status (should be
Started).

If the service status is correct, let's perform the following steps to
recreate the Event Log files.

1. Run SERVICES.MSC and change the Event Log service's Startup Type to
Disable.

2. Restart Windows.

NOTE: When the system starts up, several services may fail; a message
informing the user to use Event Viewer to review errors may appear.

3. Move the *.evt files from the following location to another backup
folder:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Config

4. Run SERVICES.MSC again and re-enable the Event Log service by setting it
back to the default of Automatic startup. Then reboot the system and check
if the problem has been resolved.

If there is any thing unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation