Epson Perfection 3170 Pulley Broke - Fix

Reaction score
Here we are in 2021, and still this thread is helping Epson owners. I'd just like to add my thanks to Tony for the original post, and Bradley for the additional tips on taking the top off - if they're still around on here after all this time. My 3170 is now restored to working order (having failed just after I reinstalled the drivers following a Windows 10 update that removed them - thanks MS!). Looking forward to another 15 years of scanning (maybe).

Reaction score
Now 2022. My epson 3170 just stopped. Sounds like the pulley problem as it sounded like drive belt loose around the cog wheel and scan head no longer moves. I'll take it apart tomorrow and look Hope I can fix like you guys have with a screw or 2.

Reaction score
Now 2022. My epson 3170 just stopped. Sounds like the pulley problem as it sounded like drive belt loose around the cog wheel and scan head no longer moves. I'll take it apart tomorrow and look Hope I can fix like you guys have with a screw or 2.
Excellent results. Exactly same problem; pulley plastic tab broken meant cog wheel slips. Installed 2 screws (one on either side of metal bracket; not too tight so bracket can slide as designed....and Voila scanner scans like new again.
Thanks to this thread, my Epson 3170 scanner working again!

Ask a Question