Entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located...

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Bobby C, May 18, 2007.

  1. Bobby C

    Bobby C Guest

    About two months ago, when I would start one particular application (I don't
    remember the title), I would get an error:

    The procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in
    the dynamic link library USER32.DLL

    Since then it's starting to crop up in other unrelated (from different
    vendors) applications. One of the is Setup Factory 7.0 by Indigo Rose,
    another is SpeedUpMyPC by Uniblue and another one that I can't remember.
    When I click OK, the application runs as it normally does. Does anyone have
    an idea what this means?

    System info:
    Toshiba laptop, P4 3.43 2GB RAM
    Windows XP Professional, SP2 with all updates applied

    Thanks!

    Bobby

    Bobby C, May 18, 2007

  2. "Bobby C" <> wrote:

    > About two months ago, when I would start one particular application
    > (I don't remember the title), I would get an error:
    >
    > The procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be
    > located in the dynamic link library USER32.DLL
    >
    > Since then it's starting to crop up in other unrelated (from different
    > vendors) applications.

    Even the latest "USER32.DLL" version (5.1.2600.3099) for WinXP does not
    have that entry point. Therefore, at least one system file (*not*
    USER32.DLL) has been replaced with the Vista version of that system file.
    That system file will be hard to find. Analyze your applications causing
    this error message (executable files *.exe and *.dll) with the
    "Dependency Walker" in order to find the culprit.

    The "Dependency Walker" can be found on the WinXP CD, however, download
    the latest version from here: http://www.dependencywalker.com

    --
    d-d

    Detlev Dreyer, May 18, 2007

  3. Bobby C

    Bobby C Guest

    SOLVED: Entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located...

    "Detlev Dreyer" <> wrote in message
    > "Bobby C" <> wrote:
    >
    >> About two months ago, when I would start one particular application
    >> (I don't remember the title), I would get an error:
    >>
    >> The procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be
    >> located in the dynamic link library USER32.DLL
    >>
    >> Since then it's starting to crop up in other unrelated (from different
    >> vendors) applications.

    > Even the latest "USER32.DLL" version (5.1.2600.3099) for WinXP does not
    > have that entry point. Therefore, at least one system file (*not*
    > USER32.DLL) has been replaced with the Vista version of that system file.
    > That system file will be hard to find. Analyze your applications causing
    > this error message (executable files *.exe and *.dll) with the
    > "Dependency Walker" in order to find the culprit.
    >
    > The "Dependency Walker" can be found on the WinXP CD, however, download
    > the latest version from here: http://www.dependencywalker.com
    >
    > --
    > d-d

    Detlev,

    Thanks for the information. The problem was caused by the presence of the
    file DWMAPI.DLL which was installed with IE7. I reverted to IE6, renamed
    the file and the error went away. Thanks for the tip...!

    Bobby

    Bobby C, May 19, 2007
  4. Re: SOLVED: Entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located...

    "Bobby C" <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the information. The problem was caused by the presence of
    > the file DWMAPI.DLL which was installed with IE7.

    IIRC, "DWMAPI.DLL" is a Vista file not being installed with IE7 under
    WinXP by default. That file is *not* present on my WinXP systems while
    having IE7 installed as well.

    > I reverted to IE6, renamed the file and the error went away.

    That's interesting. Was there an IE7 BETA version installed?

    > Thanks for the tip...!

    You're certainly welcome.

    --
    d-d

    Detlev Dreyer, May 19, 2007
  5. Bobby C

    Malke Guest

    Lockon wrote:

    > I got the same message when i recently installed MSN 9.0 I don't know
    > how i can fix it as i have never used Dependency walker before can
    > anyone help?

    Unfortunately, no one can help you since you are not posting on a real forum
    as you think you are and you didn't quote any of the thread to which you
    are replying. You are using a web interface that leeches Usenet posts and
    most of the rest of us are using real newsreaders. We don't see what you
    do. If you want to participate in Usenet, the better way is to set up a
    newsreader. This is very easy to do and I'll give you information about
    that below. If you prefer to use a forum, then here are two excellent ones:

    http://forum.aumha.org/index.php
    http://http://computerhaven.info/

    Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
    a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
    a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
    Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it.
    Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

    About Usenet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
    http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
    of newsgroups

    Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessing_newsgrousp_with-windows_mail.htm

    How to Post:
    http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
    Usenet

    microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
    properly
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting