Endless loop of Chkdsk

Reaction score
Hey all...

Got a somewhat weird problem, hope someone can help?

Everytime without fail, when i turn my computer from cold, it goes into Chkdsk. I leave it to run, and still it wants to go again next time.

It says something about not enough space to complete required actions or similar in there...

Any ideas how to fix this?

I'm not able to defrag at all as Chkdsk is scheduled to run...

Cheers

C

Reaction score
I had that same problem ages ago...

the only thing i did was to reformat. i did that because of another thing though...

Reaction score
chris, sounds like there is a problem somewhere

first of all how much free space do u have?
and when it goes through checkdisk do u notice any error messages?
and last question
have u recently installed any sort of software such as norton system tools?

admist all of this there is probably a command that u can type into run or msdos which will turn off chkdisk, but we both know who the man is to ask for the commands!!!

let us know the answer to the questions.

good luck

Reaction score
72.8Gb free on my array (pretty much equivalent to one drive full and one drive empty)

Didn't install anything really except Disk Keeper, after that ChkDsk wanted to run endlessly. Maybe thats coincidence.

If someone could give me the command to stop it i'd me most greatful as need to defrag PC - it's being REALLY slow!

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Didn't install anything really except Disk Keeper, after that ChkDsk wanted to run endlessly. Maybe thats coincidence.

!

u didnt install nething EXCEPT Disk Keeper? lol you kidding right?

i rekon it would have been better typed:

'Yes I installed Disk Keeper!'

anyway, unistall this programe, see if it makes the difference!

it probably is this programme that keeps making windows go into chkdisk before getting into windows xp.

good luck!

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Sorry... forgot to mention i uninstalled it a week ago... no difference!!

lol very funny thing to forget!

how abt KGB's solution?

fear not Sir Mucks will be at hand very soon, i guess he has a red hot command ready for you to type in .................................

Reaction score
I found a command to try, i put it in but dont have time to restart and see - just leaving for a four and a half hour driving lesson. I'll try it when i get back...

Cheers

C

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
DO NOT run disk checking software on the array:

Scandisk and Chkdsk are programs that often run automatically if a problem with the filesystem is detected.

Unfortunately, these programs are unable to deal with physical damage to hard disks, and even more unfortunately, rather than terminate, they will carry on and attempt to fix any problems.

Unless DiskKeeper spacifically says it can handle a 'raid array' I wouldn't use it.

;)

Ask a Question