    my first guess is that her hard drive is dead or at least the boot sector
    but I'm not experienced enough to know for sure. Any guidance greatly
    appreciated.

    Guest, Mar 16, 2005

    Can you simply cancel the chkdsk when it starts? Or close it? I saw this on a
    computer before. From what I recall, I could cancel the chkdsk, and found an
    ..exe that was in the statup options that ran every time the computer started.
    If your computer will not boot to a cd, it's probably not setup in the bios.
    You will have to change this.

    Guest, Mar 16, 2005

    you can't cancel the chkdsk unless the cancel command has changed (it's x
    right?). The boot to cd is changed in the bios......all I get is chkdsk :(

    Guest, Mar 16, 2005

    You should be able to access the bios before the check disk runs.
    Shut your computer completely down, use the power button if you have to.
    Once you turn the computer on, hit F1 or F2 or enter, all makes of computers
    are different. I 've seen some where you use the delete key. You may have to
    try several times until you get into the bios. Also what operating system are
    you running?

    Guest, Mar 16, 2005

    Win XP Home. I can access the bios it just does me no good. If I set the
    boot cycle to boot off the cd it just goes to chkdsk and get stuck.

    Guest, Mar 16, 2005

    teedd

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just fixed this one myself, PM me should anyone in the future need help with this,

    1st) your need a bartPE cd google it really useful tool, this means to create one you will need a full xp install disk, don’t worry their wont be installing of xp today.

    2nd Once you have your bartpe disk go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm this page has instructions on how to edit the computers registry while under the bart pe environment, or their is plug-in for bart pe you can use to do this.

    3rd remove the entries that schedule disk check chkdsk from the registry follow the instructions on the Microsoft page.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158675
    Worked for me,
    And if you had the same problem I had you wont be able to do a repair install unless you do this.

    teedd, Dec 12, 2007

    Richman1

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the same or maybe just similar problem. Whith my XP Home, I got the blue screen saying that windows did not shut down propperly and had to run chkdsk on one of my drive partitions. I ckickee any key to skip that process 3-4 times I booted up since I knew it would take a long time to complete. The last time, the system would not let me click any key to skip it. I clecked several keys and it times out and started the chkdsk. It ran for about 20 hours and the next time I logged in it would send the system into an endless reboot loop after getting to the log in creen and also wanted to keep chking the same disk at boot up. I read about adding a registry entry to the bootexecute to have it skip this scan. Which it did. then read that you should chkdsk manually on the drive from comand promp which I did. But the next sudgestion was to make sure that the 'dirty bit' was removed from that drive which didn't work. I removed lsdelete from bootexecute and restored the entry to "autocheck autochk *" and I still am stuck in a reboot loop. I can log in under 'safe mode' and for some reason while I was away having the drive rechecked the system automatically added another administrative login account dated around midnight on a day when I was across town and nobody was home. This sounds really strange.
    Can anyone help with this?

    Richman1, Aug 22, 2010