endless cycle running chkdsk on bootup, how do I stop it?

Niteowl

hi,

I discovered some issues with a few files on a secondary hard drive on my
system, so decided to do a chkdsk, went into Administrative tools/disk
management, and right clicked on the drives, (D: and F:) and chose to run
chkdsk, it said it had to reboot and run on bootup, I said ok... now it is
in an endless cycle of running on bootup...

I've tried booting up to safe mode, and bootup normally, neither work.. the
one for safe mode just stops after showing a bunch of stuff it is supposedly
installing, and does nothing... booting up normally just continues the
cycle.

How do I stop it and get it to finish booting into windows?

thanks,
niteowl

XP Pro SP2

David H. Lipman

From: "Niteowl" <[email protected]>

| hi,
|
| I discovered some issues with a few files on a secondary hard drive on my
| system, so decided to do a chkdsk, went into Administrative tools/disk
| management, and right clicked on the drives, (D: and F:) and chose to run
| chkdsk, it said it had to reboot and run on bootup, I said ok... now it is
| in an endless cycle of running on bootup...
|
| I've tried booting up to safe mode, and bootup normally, neither work.. the
| one for safe mode just stops after showing a bunch of stuff it is supposedly
| installing, and does nothing... booting up normally just continues the
| cycle.
|
| How do I stop it and get it to finish booting into windows?
|
| thanks,
| niteowl
|
| XP Pro SP2

Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic software
respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard disk is bad or
not..

Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
http://support.wdc.com/download/

Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Seagate - SeaTools
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/

Samsung - Disk manager
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/shdiag.htm

Niteowl

the chkdsk is not finding any errors.. it just keep cycling..

isn't there a way to force a bootup?? C: drive was not checked, these are
just data partitions.. shouldn't have anything to do with bootup.

thanks,
niteowl

David H. Lipman

From: "Niteowl" <[email protected]>

| the chkdsk is not finding any errors.. it just keep cycling..
|
| isn't there a way to force a bootup?? C: drive was not checked, these are
| just data partitions.. shouldn't have anything to do with bootup.
|
| thanks,
| niteowl

CHKDSK can still cycle if it finds nothing.
I still suggest running a manufacturer's diagnostic.

pcbutts1

Read the screen when it boots and do what is say to cancel the chkdsk.
"Press any key to cancel within 6,5,4,3,2,1.... seconds"

Niteowl

yep, did that, it just kept recycling...

I finally got it to boot to safe mode command line and manually ran chkdsk
/r on the two partitions, and then just for yucks ran it on the c: drive,
and it found and fixed some errors on there also...

after doing that and running chkdsk 3 times on each partition (just to be
sure it found no new errors), I was able to get it to boot to windows, I
then manually modified the registry and it appears to be working...

one thing I discovered is when trying to run the "chkntfs /x" command, it
said it was an invalid command.. ? so I checked it on another XP machine I
have, and it worked on that one.. so not sure why that command isn't
available as both machines are XP Pro SP2.

at any rate, I appreciate the responses, Thanks to all.

niteowl