DVD RW Drive advice

Reaction score
just wondering what dvd rewriter drive u lot have?have any suggestions for me?

im loooking to buy one but unsure as there are so many! do u think 16speed will be common soon ? and what abt dual layer wriitng (both sides)

please boice your opinons thanks

Reaction score
you can get an 8x Dual Layer NEC one for £55 - thats in black, inc VAT. So if you have a beige case it would be cheaper...

Non dual layer ones are about £48.99 but for such a small increase in price i'd take the dual layer. as for 16x? nah, the media would cost more and my Sony DWu14a (or whatever lol) is only 4x and that does the job just fine, most of the time!

Reaction score
im loooking to buy one but unsure as there are so many! do u think 16speed will be common soon ? and what abt dual layer wriitng (both sides)
you seem to be mistaken here, dual layer doesn't mean that it;ll burn to both sides, if that were the case why would you need a dual layer writer, surely you'd just turn the dvd over.

may i refer you to the article listed below.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dvd6.htm

Regards

Reaction score
lol i didnt see that bit there PSD!!

well you will notice that in some DVD movies there is a short half/1 second pause half way through? thas the player changing layers and reading deeper into the disc - onto the second layer.

tis how you get 9.4gb (i think) DVD's instead of 4.7gb and is also why you need to resize original DVD movies when ahem...backing them up to a standard 4.7

Reaction score
Format Capacity Approx. Movie Time

Single-sided/single-layer 4.38 GB 2 hours
Single-sided/double-layer 7.95 GB 4 hours
Double-sided/single-layer 8.75 GB 4.5 hours
Double-sided/double-layer 15.9 GB Over 8 hours

Reaction score
you lose a bit because on the second layer the data is spread out more so that the reader doesn't get confused between the two layers.

don't want the end getting confused with the beginning do we?

lol

James

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Think I may have to get me one of them dual layer writers soon, I'll probably go Pioneer as my 106 has been really good. I wouldn't go NEC, have read too many bad things about them.

Ideally, I'd go Plextor, but they're expensive. Friends of mine also have DVDRW's, MSI & Sony respectively, no complaints there.

Reaction score
well yeah NEC are the cheapest on the market currently so it makes the product look oh so more attractive...

Reaction score
thanks for that at the moment i have got a pioneer dvd drive. and its been sound since i got it two years back. so with regards to what floppybootstamp said i agree

but nec at £55 aint bad is it!

Ask a Question