advice on laptop buy for a mate

Reaction score
hope i got the right section but im asking u lot for your advice

ive come across a bit of a stuke. one of my mates is off to uni next year and he wants to buy a laptop. hes been bugging for me ages and ages to tell him which one to buy.

ive always told him go for a Sony laptop as i feel that they r the bees knees
he needs the laptop to mainly do his work, use the internet and occasionaly watch films on it, with the yettis :p

first question which company does evryone reccomend? ive never been the owner of a laptop so im unsure abt this.

any of your comments or reccomendations will be appreciated. thanks

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I moved this thread in the Hardware (General) category since it is more appropriate. For PC Review, this is not off topic ;)

As for the laptop the most imprtant information anyone would like to know before recommending anything is the budget, so if you can give us an idea we can get the ball rolling.

Reaction score
yes thanks.

rite his budget is as follows:

£1000 to £1500
anything more than £1500 has to be SPECIAL and WORTH IT!

Reaction score
Awaiting KGB to pop in and sing praises about his Dell machine.

Look at novatech.co.uk - they have some good ones, and IBM are supposedly very good, right, Quad?

I have never owned a Laptop, but hope to some day (of course in addition to a desktop)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Think of the devil...........:D He should be here any minute
Look at novatech.co.uk - they have some good ones, and IBM are supposedly very good, right, Quad?

I have never owned a Laptop, but hope to some day (of course in addition to a desktop)
Absolutely correct, someday you will also own an IBM.

With that kind of (very decent) budget, I suggest you have a look at the T Series of IBM Laptops. They start from around £1,250.

If you have any questions, we are here to help you.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

Chris, i will pop in! but not necicerily to sing praises about MY machine!

As you were saying, sony are supposed to be the number one make of laptops :)

And Dell are seccond.

Everyone want's a laptop! - well, nearly everyone!
I would also like to say that sony are expensive, i do not know exactally, but they are much more expensive than others​

Now, i am going to state the obvious, do NOT go for Tiny or Time, they may look good... and VERY cheap, but, you get what you pay for! - A load of junk.​

Toshiba, HP and compaq, are quite good.​

http://dabs.com/uk/shopbybrand/tosh...ksandtabletpcs/ProductView.htm?quicklinx=3j1b - Have a look at that, it has a reasnoble spec' at a reasnoble price!​

Hope i hepled!​

i wll continue to look around for you,​

KGB​

Reaction score
thanks for ur reply lads.
as we speak my mate is reading this stuff!!!

cheers from him and me!

Ask a Question