DVD-RAM, Panasonic SW-9572

lifespeed

I just bought a new 3X DVD-RAM drive. Supposedly all the reliability
and utility of a 9Gb double-sided removable hard disk. I have been
unable to get it to work in my AMD Athlon 1200 MHz running Win XP. It
is jumpered as master on the secondary IDE bus (ATA 133) with an old
Toshiba SD-M1202 DVD-ROM as the slave drive. As far as I know, the
IDE cable is good because I disconnected a working CD-RW to hook up
the DVD-RAM.

Supposedly, I only need the format utility (from Panasonic) to run
under XP, the drive is otherwise supported.

I have formatted discs (Panasonic 3X DVD-RAM) as UDF1.5, UDF2.0 and
FAT32. I can copy large files to the formatted discs. But when I try
to read them back I get an error "can't read from device. Disk I/O
error".

I am about ready to return the disk drive as faulty. Is there
anything I could be doing wrong? I have tried two different new discs
without success.

Help!

Lifespeed

Michael Hawes

lifespeed said:
[...]

Have you tried reading commercial DVDs in the drive?
Mike.

lifespeed

Michael Hawes said:
Have you tried reading commercial DVDs in the drive?
Mike.

It will display the files on a commercial CD, but won't even copy them
successfully to the HDD.

There is no need for 3rd pary software under Win XP, correct?

Lifespeed

John Turco

lifespeed said:
It will display the files on a commercial CD, but won't even copy them
successfully to the HDD.

There is no need for 3rd pary software under Win XP, correct?

Lifespeed

Hello,

Here is some helpful info:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 283588 -
Windows XP Supports the DVD-RAM File Systems
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;283588>

Quoted, therefrom:

"The support technology for DVD-RAM uses the file allocation table32
(FAT32) file system for read/write operations and enables the use of
the Universal Disk Format (UDF) file system for read-only operations."

The following PDF document, at Dell <http://www.dell.com>, also mentions
this topic:

Windows XP-Sept. update.fm
<http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/vectors/2001_windowsxp.pdf>

A quote, from above:

"Windows XP does not support recording UDF-formatted information
on a DVD-RAM disc. UDF is the file system used in the DVD-Video
specification."

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <[email protected]>

lifespeed

John Turco said:
[...]

Thanks for the info. I did read this in another post of yours. It
sounds like I will need software to write UDF2.0.

Unfortunately, I cannot even reliably write and read back FAT32 using
Win XP. Nor can I read a commercially-recorded CD in this drive.
"Device I/O error". At this point I have tried replacing the IDE
cable and removing and re-installing the device. I do have the
Panasonic 'driver' which appears to be simply a format and
write-protect utility.

I believe the drive isn't working, I just wanted to check and make
sure I wasn't ignoring some important detail.

Thanks,

Lifespeed

Michael Hawes

lifespeed said:
John Turco <[email protected]> wrote in message

Thanks for the info. I did read this in another post of yours. It
sounds like I will need software to write UDF2.0.

Unfortunately, I cannot even reliably write and read back FAT32 using
Win XP. Nor can I read a commercially-recorded CD in this drive.
"Device I/O error". At this point I have tried replacing the IDE
cable and removing and re-installing the device. I do have the
Panasonic 'driver' which appears to be simply a format and
write-protect utility.

I believe the drive isn't working, I just wanted to check and make
sure I wasn't ignoring some important detail.

Thanks,

Lifespeed
It's DEAD Jim, :)
Mike.

lifespeed

Michael Hawes said:
It's DEAD Jim, :)
Mike.

According to the people I bought it from it works fine in their
system.

Is there anything about my machine that I should be looking at that
could cause a device I/O error? I already tried swapping out the IDE
cable. It works fine with a DVD-ROM and CD-R.

Should I enable windows XP IMAP CD-burning service. I currently have
it disabled.

Any suggestions from someone with DVD-RAM experience would be
appreciated. I do have another new SW-9572 drive on the way.

Lifespeed

Michael Hawes

lifespeed said:
It's DEAD Jim, :)
Mike.

According to the people I bought it from it works fine in their
system.

Is there anything about my machine that I should be looking at that
could cause a device I/O error? I already tried swapping out the IDE
cable. It works fine with a DVD-ROM and CD-R.

Should I enable windows XP IMAP CD-burning service. I currently have
it disabled.

Any suggestions from someone with DVD-RAM experience would be
appreciated. I do have another new SW-9572 drive on the way.

Lifespeed[/QUOTE]
Have you tried it on its own on the cable? If you boot from a Win98
startup diskette, is the drive found and does it read a CDROM or DVD data
disk? If you are using 80-wire cable, try setting as Cable Select!
Mike.

lifespeed

Michael Hawes said:
Have you tried it on its own on the cable? If you boot from a Win98
startup diskette, is the drive found and does it read a CDROM or DVD data
disk? If you are using 80-wire cable, try setting as Cable Select!
Mike.

OK, here's the scoop: The DVD-RAM drive uses UDMA4. This is the
first optical drive I've owned that is fast enough to require the
80-wire shielded cable. I had an 80-wire IDE cable for the HD's, but
the DVD drives just had the old 40-wire.

Lifespeed

John Turco

lifespeed said:
OK, here's the scoop: The DVD-RAM drive uses UDMA4. This is the
first optical drive I've owned that is fast enough to require the
80-wire shielded cable. I had an 80-wire IDE cable for the HD's, but
the DVD drives just had the old 40-wire.

Lifespeed

Hello,

Just curious, but, how did you discover this "scoop" of yours?

Thanks, in advance.

Cordially,
John Turco <[email protected]>

lifespeed

John Turco said:
Hello,

Just curious, but, how did you discover this "scoop" of yours?

Thanks, in advance.
Cordially,
John Turco <[email protected]>

I suppose I should have known, but I'm not used to having a really
fast optical drive. As I was flailing about looking for an answer as
to why a good DVD-RAM would not work on my machine, I read that
someone had issues with old BIOS on their motherboard not working
properly with their DVD-RAM. I updated the Award BIOS in my ASUS
A7M266. The new BIOS was kind enough to display the interface that
each disc drive was using (something the old BIOS did not do), showing
me that the DVD-RAM uses UDMA4, and the HD's used UDMA5. The old
DVD-ROM uses DMA2. There was also a note on the BIOS screen saying I
couldn't use the fast format without an 80 wire IDE cable.

I bought an OEM-type deal on the DVD-RAM drive, it came with only a
driver disk which said absolutely nothing about the different cable.

- Lifespeed

John Turco

lifespeed said:
I suppose I should have known, but I'm not used to having a really
fast optical drive. As I was flailing about looking for an answer as
to why a good DVD-RAM would not work on my machine, I read that
someone had issues with old BIOS on their motherboard not working
properly with their DVD-RAM. I updated the Award BIOS in my ASUS
A7M266. The new BIOS was kind enough to display the interface that
each disc drive was using (something the old BIOS did not do), showing
me that the DVD-RAM uses UDMA4, and the HD's used UDMA5. The old
DVD-ROM uses DMA2. There was also a note on the BIOS screen saying I
couldn't use the fast format without an 80 wire IDE cable.

Hello,

I've now learned that the SW-9572 is an external Firewire/USB 2.0
drive. Therefore, why would it need an "IDE cable," in the first place?
I bought an OEM-type deal on the DVD-RAM drive, it came with only a
driver disk which said absolutely nothing about the different cable.

- Lifespeed

My OEM SW-9571 (internal) came packaged the same way. Using a
"40-wire" ribbon cable has worked fine, for me, on my AT mainboard's
(Tyan Tsunami S1830S) ATA/33 controller. (The SW-9571 is a "UDMA4"
device, also, from what I've read.)

Cordially,
John Turco <[email protected]>