dSLR Filters...

Reaction score
Hey

I am interested in a polarising filter for my camera... i have seen some picture taken with one and it seems the colours are more "full" and the contrast is much better...

Not sure exactly what they do though.

At the moment i have a 67mm Hoya UV filter.

Is a polarising filter worth getting does anyone know?

Are there any particular brands that i should look out for? The ones i were looking at are made by HOYA.

Ta

Chris

Reaction score
From the looks of things, HOYA are the brand to go for...

I guess i need a 67mm as this is the diameter of the lens?

I think i might buy a HOYA Circ-Pol filter (I read that linear is for non auto focus/older cameras)

They are £50 in the UK but i can get one for £9.99 + £9.99 shipping from eBay (hong kong) if i wanna wait a week - which i am prepared to do to save £30!!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Go for it Chris Hoya are the brand to go for when it comes to filters...They are expensive but you get what you pay for...I use a polarising filter when i'm taking Landscapes as it jolly's up the sky immensely....

Also use a Diffusing Lens for Portraits now and again....Used to have fun in the dark room as well, but not anymore with Digital...

Reaction score

Was gonna pay the £50... then i saw one on eBay and got it for £9.99 :) (19.98 to the door if it slips by customs)

ALSO.....

Whats the best way to clean a UV fiter? got crap on mine... the funny alcoholy spray i got goes kinda weird when you rub it over with the microfibre cloth... and it didnt come with instructions...

There are loads of suggestions on the net, from water and toilet paper to putting it in the dishwasher...

Any suggestions?

thanks

Reaction score
oh cool!! just about cleaned my UV thing today... seems alright :)

lots of water and hard polishing (hope i didnt rub anything important off...)

Cant wait for my polariser!!

oh and i moved my gear over into an old camcorder bag (about 20 years old) looks a bit tatty but i can fit camera with lens on in there now :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I also use that foam cleanser for cleaning lots and lots of things, I buy mine from RS though, the can's bigger ;)

It's really good for cleaning plastic things, actually, like OHP's, computer cases, cassette recorders et al.

Ask a Question