DOK USB Boot -> 7B Error

chris@netcontrol

Hi,

I'm pretty new to XPe so maybe all things I'm going to say may not be
totally exact.

Here are the facts:

My XPe boots ok on HDD IDE and on CF with IDE adapter home mounted.

I have a DOK that didn't want to boot for a long long time until I found
this solution:

- Configure an ASUS P5AD2 with USB that force emulation of the
USB DOK as a Local HDD (that's a magic function on AMI boards?!)

- Boot on a Win98 SE BootDisk

- The DOK is detected as a C: drive visible from dos as an IDE
disk

- I fdisk/format the key using Win98 format.com/fdisk.exe (I
had to remove all my IDE drive to activate that partition for note)

- I used BOOTPREP.EXE from DOS that works then perfectly (many
try without doing this was not working)

- After all those .. Magic . when I put USB-HDD in any BIOS on
any computer the key said : NTLDR Missing .

Ok so the BIOS try to read NTLDR on the USB Key

Next I use TD to Build the Configuration on the USB Key then Reboot and
... 7B ERROR !

I think that the boot phase is unable to read on USB.. I saw many posts
about pushing the usb at boot phase but didn't really understand it.
Also I would like to modify the registry on the USB key without building
all the config again is it possible?

Any information would be a great help.

Many thanks in advance

Christophe

KM

Christophe,

[...]

Please read through this threads: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded/msg/276b5110061b5a62

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded/msg/a1e4b404865b4c15

Also I would like to modify the registry on the USB key without building all the config again is it possible?

Yes, you can change the some driver parameters through registry if you load the iamge system hive offline with regedit on your dev machine.

Any information would be a great help.

chris@netcontrol

KM,

I did some modification regarding to the links you gave me but I still
get the 7B error.

Here are the modifications I made :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbehci]

"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub]

"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbstor]

"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbuhci]

"Start"=dword:00000000

“Also you need to set LoadGroup to Boot Bus Extender so USB is loaded
before filesystem load is attempted.”

Where do I put those modifications? What is LoadGroup ?

I didn’t find the OPEN function into regedit… Import ?

I saw that there is a “DiskOnKey” component in TD that contains
usbstor.sys. Do I need to import it to my slx ?

Thanks in advance for all the ideas you may have.

Christophe

_____

De : KM [mailto:konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com]
Publié à : lundi 21 février 2005 21:52
Publié dans : microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
Conversation : DOK USB Boot -> 7B Error
Objet : Re: DOK USB Boot -> 7B Error

[...]

Just in case, what USB version the device you are using is ? 1.1, 2.0?
I did some modification regarding to the links you gave me but I still get the 7B error.

Here are the modifications I made :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbehci]

"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub]

"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbstor]

"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbuhci]

"Start"=dword:00000000

"Also you need to set LoadGroup to Boot Bus Extender so USB is loaded before filesystem load is attempted."

Where do I put those modifications? What is LoadGroup?

I guess that was a typo. That needed to be LoadOrderGroup :)

Boot-start drivers can use INF LoadOrderGroup entries to order their loading. (Boot-start drivers are loaded before most of the devices are configured, so their load order cannot be determined by device hierarchy.)

Just set it in usb INF files like "LoadOrderGroup = Boot Bus Extender" or change it in TD (component resource sections).

Or set in registry (Group registry value).

I didn't find the OPEN function into regedit. Import?

Load Hive. (You have to select on of the root keys - HKLM or HKUS).

I saw that there is a "DiskOnKey" component in TD that contains usbstor.sys. Do I need to import it to my slx ?

You just need "USB Mass Storage Device" component. You don't need to use the DiskOnKey.

(or just manually copy the usbstor.inf and usbstor.sys files)

KM, BSquare Corp.