do you want to move or copy files from this zone

All, Until I reformatted my XP pro machine this weekend, I was able to click
an image from say a webpage and, drag it to my desktop or to a folder located
on my machine where it would be saved.

Now, since my re-install, when I click and drag a picture to anywhere on my
machine I get a dialog box asking "do you want to move or copy files from
this zone" Sure I can click yes but it's annoying!

I read article 888534 on the Microsoft support site that looks like my
problem may be related to an update but the instrctions to turn this
'feature' off assume that I had turned the 'feature' on in the first place,
which I didn't. I have checked my settings in and they all seem to be correct.

Does anybody have ideas how to stop this dialog from appearing?

Thanks

Vic Baron

This is just a WAG and a generality BUT - sometimes a setting gets "tweaked"
inadvertently. Try turning the "feature" ON exit. reboot. then turn the
"feature" OFF - sometimes the toggling will work. Can't hurt.

HTH,

Vic

Thanks for the quick reply Vic!
I'd like to say that your suggestion worked but it didn't.
Have you got anything else ;-)

David

Don Varnau

Hi,
Take a look at Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone> Custom> Drag and
drop or copy and paste files. It sounds like you're set to "Prompt."

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

No, that's not it... I have checked, double and, triple-checked.

xbrit98 said:
All, Until I reformatted my XP pro machine this weekend, I was able to click
an image from say a webpage and, drag it to my desktop or to a folder located
on my machine where it would be saved.

Now, since my re-install, when I click and drag a picture to anywhere on my
machine I get a dialog box asking "do you want to move or copy files from
this zone" Sure I can click yes but it's annoying!

I read article 888534 on the Microsoft support site that looks like my
problem may be related to an update but the instrctions to turn this
'feature' off assume that I had turned the 'feature' on in the first place,
which I didn't. I have checked my settings in and they all seem to be correct.

Does anybody have ideas how to stop this dialog from appearing?

Thanks

Don Varnau

Hi,
After reinstalling XP Pro, did you reinstall all critical updates? Have you
tried a Security setting of Default for the Internet Zone?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Yes, After installing XP I downloaded all available updates and I think that
is where my problem lies. If you google "do you want to move or copy files
from this zone" you will see several posts about other users experiencing
this issue. (Yesterday when I googled the error there were zero posts and I
suspect more people will start asking questions as the days go by). It seems
that the drag and drop option contained some kind of potential security
exploit and Microsoft blocked the option in an update. (regardless of how the
option in Internet Options is set) There is no 'work around' as yet but I'm
hoping that somebody will find a way to un-fix it in the next few days. I
really hate not having this option.

The way around it right now is to use another browser like Firefox but I'll
wait until a 'fix to the fix' is released by somebody. I have always used IE,
I will always use IE, I like IE! I'm not a firefox guy.

So... stay tuned. Thanks for the advice.

David

"xbrit98" <xbrit98[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Noel Paton

Try downloading and running Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com) and see if the
hotfixes list shows any problems.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read on how to post messages to NG's

: