• What is VoIP?

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I use Skype . Its free pc to pc , all you need are speakers and a mic . If you pay up front 10 euros you can call land lines and mobiles almost anywhere in the world , and its cheap and I mean realy cheap , check their rates out .
You can configure the system pretty much the same way as any of the messenger services , allowing or not allowing folks to contact you . Its easy peasy to set up and use and you can do other stuff on your pc whilst talking . You can even buy phones that are compatible with the system fairly cheaply , can't give a link so youd have to google for info .
Works fine on my crock of a machine .

http://www.skype.com/

http://www.3-speech.com/

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Been using SkyPE for about 18 months now and think its brilliant.

Very useful when you have to frequently talk to Support Desks in California et al.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
What about folks on dial-up? Is Skype recommended for them? Anyone used it with dial-modems, say from a laptop?

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Try it ....

Quadophile said:
What about folks on dial-up? Is Skype recommended for them? Anyone used it with dial-modems, say from a laptop?
Hi Quad,

Last I heard was SkyPE did not suggest trying to use it on Dialup, but I suppose there's only one way to find out. If you want to download it and bell me, I'd be more than happy to test it out with you. PM me is you want my contact detail.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
CITech said:
Hi Quad,

Last I heard was SkyPE did not suggest trying to use it on Dialup, but I suppose there's only one way to find out. If you want to download it and bell me, I'd be more than happy to test it out with you. PM me is you want my contact detail.

Very kind of you for the offer :) Will let you know when I am ready

Thanks

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Very kind of you for the offer :) Will let you know when I am ready

Thanks

Pleasure, I will await your PM when it is all set up.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I've been using skype for about a year now, not had any real lag problems when talking with friends in UK, US or Netherlands & love the conference calling. I've not used it to a landline yet but their rates are extreemly cheap! I'm not on dialup but I am using it with my laptop with no additional mic's or speakers & have had no real prob's with sound quality. Things sound a little tinny at my end but less than I expected & the sound quality at the other end was no different than that of a friend who was using a plug in mic.

Oh... by the way, chips(fries) or crisps dipped in ice-cream... now that's heaven!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
AppleFanboy said:
Well, I have the Truphone app for iPad, but I never buy more credits. :lol:

Blooming heck, you know how to wake up an old thread dont ya!? :D

Well on the subject, yep i've used Teamspeak 3, Ventrilo, but at the moment i use Mumble. By far the best out of the three so far. :)

Reaction score
I use Skype it is free so can call my daughter in Somerset, and our friends in LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question