• What is VoIP?

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There is an article being published later this week on VoIP, but I'd be interested to hear if many people use this already?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I do not use it yet, but the chances are that I will as it becomes more popular over the next few years. It's certainly a good idea. ;)

Reaction score
I do, i use skype for p2p calls, and i can make and receive proper phone calls.

Reaction score
tbh i got a good deal on my mobile

it would feel unauthodox using my pc to call someone!

for me this is like putting salt in tea, or sugar on chips!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Sugar on chips sounds kinda good....:p

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
I have used VOIP and am sure that I posted a message about 12 months ago after some provider tried to sell me the service at work. I thought it was a bit freaky and there was a definate time delay between speech and response. I actually thought that I was talking to a computer at the time!

I am proud to say that I ACTUALLY know what this is for once!!

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Alf in USA:) woohoooo said:
Sugar on chips sounds kinda good....:p

lol alf!

what i really mean is sugar on FRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chips = fries here in uk :)

u know what if u ever get the chance try a mars bar in battter...............
mmmmmmmmmmmmm so nice really it is!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
psd99 said:
lol alf!

what i really mean is sugar on FRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chips = fries here in uk :)

u know what if u ever get the chance try a mars bar in battter...............
mmmmmmmmmmmmm so nice really it is!

Mmm...sugar on both chips and fries...
Mars bars and batter? now your just crazy:D

Reaction score
You can get battered mars bar from the local chippy, havent had one though

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Now where would i find one in the US?

Reaction score
I am a regular Skype user, I use it to contact friends/famliy. It doesn't cost anything to "skype" other users so to speak, though I do occasionally get the odd phone call from someone i don't know

I would recommend it to other people

Reaction score
“What’s in a name? That which we call a [VoIP phone] by any other name..."

I've been very interested in utilizing VoIP technology to lower my long-distance bills. In fact, I went so far as purchasing a Linksys wireless router and attempted to buy a Wi-Fi VoIP phone. "Attempted," you ask? The company I *attempted* to buy my phone through arbitrarily decided to discontinue selling the unit I tried to purchase. So, I'm now the owner of a wireless router and a desktop computer that has all the portable characteristics of...well, a desktop computer.

The reason for my preference for a mobile VoIP phone (as opposed to the unit you can plug your existing home phone into) is simple. I work at a large university that is wireless from one end of the campus to the other; I would like to take advantage of this network by being able to call, and receive calls, from my family. The VoIP company I was thinking of using is BroadVoice (http://www.broadvoice.com/ ) They offer a plan (Unlimited World) that would allow me to call my in-laws in Germany for a flat fee of $19.95 a month!

The problem: I still don't have a VoIP phone. Any suggestions? The two characteristics I'm looking for is ease of configuration, and to be able to upgrade the firmware. I was thinking of going with ZyXEL (http://www.zyxel.com/product/P2000W.php ) Has anyone heard of any negative feedback regarding this company?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
There is a version of Skype that runs on Pocket PC, so if you already have a wi-fi enabled PDA then this would seem the easiest option. Depending on the cost of the Zyxel ( Never come across them sorry ). It may be more beneficial to go the PDA route as its more use than just a phone :)

Reaction score
A VoIP is a terrible thing to waste

I'm VoIPing! (A new verb -- VoIPing?) My friend, who, as good fortune would have it, is also our department's network manager, set me up with his VoIP phone (http://www.zyxel.com/product/P2000W.php ). Overall I'm happy with the quality of the connection that the phone offers; there is, however, a noticeable echo of my own voice when speaking with my in-laws in Germany. (My in-laws are unaware of any difference between our normal "land-line" phone and that of the VoIP phone.)

There is one problem, though... Now that I have a Wi-Fi unit (Linksys), I feel that I want to take advantage of the freedom it offers by not being tethered to an AC outlet to do my computing. I was doing some sleuthing around PCR and found some very informative articles regarding Apple's iBook and its cost/performance (e.g. longer battery life) benefits. However, given the recent developments concerning Apple's decision to use Intel chips in its computers, I wonder if/when we can start to see a preciptious price drop in their line of laptops... Any thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question