Displaying file details on networked PC

Trevor L.

BlankI have a laptop (XP Pro SP2) networked to my desktop (XP Home SP2). All files accessed from the laptop are stored on the desktop, except for a large encyclopaedia type program. (There may be a couple of others - certainly all files which are not read-only are stored on the desktop.)

When I mouseover the file names on my desktop in Windows Explorer, I can see all file details. This includes details such as when taken, etc. for picture files (JPEG images taken with a digital camera)

When I do the same thing on the laptop, these details are not present. It is useful (almost necessary) to see these details so as to classify them correctly when working on the laptop. It is annoying to have to do this work only on the desktop, as it removes the advantage of networking and file sharing.

Are there some settings I can make on the laptop so that these details come up

--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Trevor,

ToolTips do not display complete information about files that are
located on a network share:
http://www.winxptutor.com/quicktip.htm
http://groups.google.co.in/[email protected]

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

[...]

Ramesh,

Thanks for the references to earlier discussions.

I assume these changes are made on the remote PC - the one on which the
files are not stored

I am particularly concerned to see
Date Picture Taken
Dimensions
Date Modified

What are the parameters I put into QuickTip?

--
Cheers,
Trevor L.
Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Trevor L.

Ramesh,

I searched the registry on the desktop (the PC on which file are stored) and
I did not find QuickTip in HKCR\*\

I did find
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\QuickTip
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\InfoTip
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\TileInfo

Are these the correct entries to change and what are InfoTip and TileInfo?
Should I change all these to read the same?
Of course, I understand (at least I think I do) that these registry changes
should be made on the laptop

--
Cheers,
Trevor L.
Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Keith Miller

For the jpegs, the special info displayed is found under:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\image"

on my computer, there are only values for Details, InfoTip, and TileInfo. If that's the case on yours, you should create a new QuickTip value, and copy the data from InfoTip (or only the props you want - the prop names are pretty intuitive.

I'm not sure which computer you need to make the changes on...

InfoTip is what shows when hovering over a local file, or in the status bar when that file is selected.

TileInfo is what is displayed next to the icon when you select the 'Tile' icon style from the view menu.

Details is what is displayed in the common tasks pane when the file is selected.

Keith

Ramesh, MS-MVP

IIRC, for the files in network share, the InfoTip and TileInfo values are
ignored, and uses the QuickTip value only. That too from HKCR\*\

David Candy

On the computer doing the viewing. But HKCR\* = HKLM\classes\* They are the same key (unless you have a per user override which is unlikely). Two paths to the same point.

Trevor L.

David,
I am sure you have much more knowledge than I

But HKCR= HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKLM= HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, don't they?

I can understand how HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE would be the same as
HKEY_CURRENT_USER (unless, as you say, I have a per user override). It is
possible that when putting in some tweaks, eg from KellysKorner, that I may
have used HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but you are right in that I would have no need
for a special user override. There is only one user as far as the machine is
concerned. The fact that my wife also knows the password and logs in as the
same user is irrelevant to a dumb machine :)

Anyway to get to the point would HKCR and HKLM be the same?
Or is it that HKCU and HKLM are the same?

P.S. I haven't yet made any changes to try to see the tips correctly
I am particularly concerned to see
Date Picture Taken
Dimensions
Date Modified
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.
Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

David Candy

HKCR is built from HKLM\Classes and HKCU\Classes (most computers have few or no entries here) with CU values overriding LM values. If editing HKCR the edit is applied to whereever it came from. HKCR is built at logon time. If you computer is off it ceases to exist.

HKCU\classes is the contents of this file
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

David Candy

Per machine installs do Local Machine, per user installs do HKCU. The default is for admins to do per machine (or the install program can ask which) and for users to ONLY do per user installs (but only if it's possible which usually it's not).

In large companies software can be rolled out as per user but unless you are wierd it's irrelevent to home/stand alone/small company users.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes (all references are to software\classes not just classes)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message HKCR is built from HKLM\Classes and HKCU\Classes (most computers have few or no entries here) with CU values overriding LM values. If editing HKCR the edit is applied to whereever it came from. HKCR is built at logon time. If you computer is off it ceases to exist.

HKCU\classes is the contents of this file
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Trevor L.

Thanks, David
That was very informative.

As a home user, I should therefore only need to look at HKLM. (I think that
is a statement, not a question). In the past, I have noticed references to
both HMLM and HKCU and so far as I recall, I have always changed HKLM, so I
should be on track
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.
Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

David Candy

The purpose of HKCR is that you change this. Then windows looks after all the messy bits of where should it go. And if reading what should be there from where. May as well do it right and simple rather than complex and learning something that will be wrong sometimes (and when you are wrong, say while fixing your mum's machine - say cleaning it of per user sypwear, will you remember my little talk or just look stupid as you change things but nothing different happens).

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Trevor,

That's one of the important stuffs I learnt from David. I was confused when
I tried a trace using Regmon (for another problem). RegMon showed explorer
was accessing "HKCR\.nnn" and said NOT FOUND

I then created a .nnn extension in that area, but still Regmon said NOT
FOUND. Then I mailed two persons 1 yr ago, to clear this confusion and got
the exact answer from both. David said it the best. Later I learnt that
there is a MS article which explains this per-user override stuff (file
associations) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257592