Disk Partition Software

xmp

Nor is it one about commercial software solutions.

yet products like AVG and Private Disk Light are routinely recommended
here. AVG is not freeware, it requires a registration with AVG. it's a
loss leader, and spams usenet and email with advertisements. Private
Disk is a loss leader and serves only as a advertisement for the premium
version of Private Disk.

AVG Free and Private Disk Light are commercial. so quit using the
"commercial," "free," "non-commercial" distinction. truly being free is
open-source (LGPL, BSD) and also zero cost. free as in libre, free as
in beer.

michael

jo

xmp said:
AVG is not freeware, it requires a registration with AVG.

I don't have an issue with registration. A squared requires it also. The
app I use to remove 'readonly' attributes does also - the author says he
likes to know how many people use the app.
it's a
loss leader, and spams usenet and email with advertisements

Non newbies turn the bluddy things off.

CHarneyCHRIS

'AVG is not freeware, it requires a registration with AVG', did you have to pay
to register?

jo

CHarneyCHRIS said:
'AVG is not freeware, it requires a registration with AVG',

xmp said that. Does AVG?
did you have to pay
to register?

Never used it. My point was that I don't have an issue with
register-ware.

Or was your post directed elsewhere?

Franklin

Violating the EULA doesn't have anything to do with whether or not
you install to HDD. You're violating the EULA and calling it free,
no different than any other warez advocate would.

Temporary Evaluation Use Only. You may use this
Evaluation Software without charge for a limited time only,
and solely to decide whether to purchase a paid license for
the software from TeraByte. If you wish to use the
Evaluation Software after the thirty (30) day evaluation
period, then you must purchase a Full Use license for the
software from TeraByte.

r/any time in the future/any time in the future within 30 days/

OK now?

Franklin

A commercial program that is free for 30 days, when a person
needs it for only 1-day, is for that purpose free IMO.

I would tend to agree wholeheartedly.

Franklin

A commercial program that is free for 30 days, when a person
Here's a problem with your "helpful" posts to others: Yes, they
use the software for one day. Then they uninstall it. Then they
think they can re-install it later at any time. It don't work
that way. Most programs will not work after the 30 day period
has ended from when they *first* installed it. People need REAL
solutions not band-aids.

But how often is someone like the OP who doesn't seem to know a lot
about partition work going to need to remove a partition and resize
the other to take its place?

My guess is that it's not very often.

Surely you are not advocating a REAL soultion would be for the OP to
learn to use Ranish because it's freeware.

Of course, even FDISK is not freeware.

xmp

CHarneyCHRIS said:
'AVG is not freeware, it requires a registration with AVG', did you have to pay
to register?

my interpretation of freeware is that it can be freely redistributed on
P2P networks and places like Tucows. To my knowledge AVG can only be
obtained from AVG.

michael

xmp

CHarneyCHRIS said:
'AVG is not freeware, it requires a registration with AVG', did you have to pay
to register?

yes AVG requires a registration key. i obtained mine directly from AVG.

michael

xmp

Never used it. My point was that I don't have an issue with
register-ware.

Or was your post directed elsewhere?

i have not read the charter, but i would propose the following as
acceptable and non-acceptable:

betas -- unrestricted betas that don't expire is close to freeware. esp
betas that are legally traded on P2P and freeware sites. if it's a
time-restricted beta then it's closer to shareware or trialware and
shouldn't meet the requirements.

trials -- BootItNG would not qualify as freeware IMHO.

F/OSS -- truly free software like FreeBSD and Slackware should meet the
requirements for freeware. it is zero cost, can be freely
redistributed, and adds the additional freedom of being open-source.

registration required, distribution limited -- stuff like the Borland
C++ compiler is not freeware by the strict definition, however it should
meet the requirements for posting.

open-source, not free as in beer -- stuff like SuSE Personal costs
money, and doesn't meet the free requirement. it can however be
redistributed to friends so it is free in a sense after the initial
purchase is made.

crippleware -- stuff that has certain features of freeware should
qualify IMO as long as the license permits unlimited use at no cost.

freeware -- true freeware is free in every sense except often being
closed-source.

michael

jo

Franklin said:
But how often is someone like the OP who doesn't seem to know a lot
about partition work going to need to remove a partition and resize
the other to take its place?

This is hardly the issue here...
Surely you are not advocating a REAL soultion would be for the OP to
learn to use Ranish because it's freeware.

Er, that is the on topic response, yes. Me? I hate the bloody app and
have never used it since shafting a HD with it :)

A *real* solution here is to point a newbie to an appropriate group...
Of course, even FDISK is not freeware.

Nor is bootit...

BarryTone

Franklin said:
Surely you are not advocating a REAL soultion would be for the OP to
learn to use Ranish because it's freeware.

Please don't try to be cute with me. Did I recommend Ranish to anyone?
Of course, even FDISK is not freeware.

Nor does it expire.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

And no sir, it's not a problem for me.

If that were the case, I'm sure you wouldn't resort to name-calling
over the issue.
I don't let the control-freaks dictate to me what is reasonable to
post,

Yet you do resort to name-calling.
and I don't try to tell others what is reasonable and acceptable.

Yes, you do. You just tried tell us that it's reasonable and
acceptable to recommend commercial software here.

Got That Wrong

A commercial program that is free for 30 days, when a person needs it
for only 1-day, is for that purpose free IMO.
That still makes it shareware, so take your BS to alt.comp.shareware,
and stop trying to prove what a dumb ****ing non-conformist you are.

Vic Dura

i have not read the charter, but i would propose the following as
acceptable and non-acceptable:

Here's the charter:

==============================

From (e-mail address removed) Sun Dec 31 06:05:02 1995
From: (e-mail address removed) (Terry Knab)
Newsgroups: alt.config
Subject: cmsg newgroup alt.comp.freeware
Control: newgroup alt.comp.freeware
Date: 31 Dec 1995 11:06:17 GMT

alt.comp.freeware discussion and binaries of freeeware

==============================

As you can see it leaves a lot of room for the definition of
"freeeware". No indication of all the restrictions, exceptions,
exemptions, qualifications, and nit picking favored by some.

Franklin

Franklin said:
Violating the EULA doesn't have anything to do with whether or not
you install to HDD. You're violating the EULA and calling it free,
no different than any other warez advocate would.

Temporary Evaluation Use Only. You may use this
Evaluation Software without charge for a limited time only,
and solely to decide whether to purchase a paid license for
the software from TeraByte. If you wish to use the
Evaluation Software after the thirty (30) day evaluation
period, then you must purchase a Full Use license for the
software from TeraByte.

You want a crack for Partition Magic?

OK now?

I own Partition Magic 8. Thank you.

Why do you post a Non Sequitur after I added a qualifier to what I
had previous written?

Franklin

This is hardly the issue here...

Er, that is the on topic response, yes.

Although it is the politically correct response it is of no use at
all to the OP.
Me? I hate the bloody
app and have never used it since shafting a HD with it :)

A *real* solution here is to point a newbie to an appropriate
group...

Nor is bootit...

Yes, that is why I mentioned FDISK in our BOOTIT discussion!

Franklin

Please don't try to be cute with me. Did I recommend Ranish to
anyone?

I think you are being too cute because you ask for a counsel of near-
perfection when you say "People need REAL solutions not band-aids".

The solution I posted about (using BOOTIT) works, works well, works
legitimately, works for as long as the OP probably has the current
requirement.

I agree that 30 day solutions are usually poor but this is not a
request for something ke a frequently used text-editor. This is a
request for a tool to do a one-off operation.

Nor does it expire.

Also the obligation to pay for it (or it's parent software) has not
diminished with the passing of time.