Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by alo, Mar 29, 2011.

  1. alo

    alo Guest

    Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

    "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
    Disk 1:
    Previous count: 1504
    Current count: 2507"

    This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

    Before I start the proccess of returning it as a faulty item I want to
    make sure it is indeed faulty.

    I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides putting it into
    a PC how would I go about testing again.

    Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

    Thanks

    alo, Mar 29, 2011

  2. alo

    Rod Speed Guest

    alo wrote

    > Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

    Fark, it actually failed it dismally.

    > "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
    > Disk 1:
    > Previous count: 1504
    > Current count: 2507"

    Fark. She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

    > This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

    > Before I start the proccess of returning it as a
    > faulty item I want to make sure it is indeed faulty.

    Yep, thats an utterly obscene level of reallocated sectors.

    > I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides
    > putting it into a PC how would I go about testing again.

    > Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

    Yep, but with quite a few of them, you cant get the SMART stats with the drive in
    one of those unless its a relatively modern one and you use a paid for SMART ute.

    Rod Speed, Mar 29, 2011

  3. alo

    mike Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > alo wrote
    >
    >> Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

    > Fark, it actually failed it dismally.
    >
    >> "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
    >> Disk 1:
    >> Previous count: 1504
    >> Current count: 2507"

    > Fark. She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?
    >
    >> This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

    >> Before I start the proccess of returning it as a
    >> faulty item I want to make sure it is indeed faulty.

    > Yep, thats an utterly obscene level of reallocated sectors.
    >
    >> I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides
    >> putting it into a PC how would I go about testing again.

    >> Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

    > Yep, but with quite a few of them, you cant get the SMART stats with the drive in
    > one of those unless its a relatively modern one and you use a paid for SMART ute.

    Hddscan.exe is among the free SMART readers.
    Bytecc BT-300 is among the cheap usb to ide/sata readers that can read
    smart.

    mike, Mar 30, 2011
  4. alo

    Rod Speed Guest

    mike wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> alo wrote

    >>> Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

    >> Fark, it actually failed it dismally.

    >>> "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
    >>> Disk 1:
    >>> Previous count: 1504
    >>> Current count: 2507"

    >> Fark. She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

    >>> This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

    >>> Before I start the proccess of returning it as a
    >>> faulty item I want to make sure it is indeed faulty.

    >> Yep, thats an utterly obscene level of reallocated sectors.

    >>> I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides
    >>> putting it into a PC how would I go about testing again.

    >>> Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

    >> Yep, but with quite a few of them, you cant get the SMART stats with the drive in one of those unless its a
    >> relatively modern one and you use a paid for SMART ute.

    > Hddscan.exe is among the free SMART readers.

    Yes, but that doesnt mean it can get the SMART data from the drive in a USB HD enclosure he already has.

    > Bytecc BT-300 is among the cheap usb to ide/sata readers that can read smart.

    You dont know whether he plans to buy a USB HD enclosure just to check the drive before doing a warranty claim.

    Rod Speed, Mar 30, 2011
  5. alo

    Arno Guest

    alo <> wrote:
    > Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

    > "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
    > Disk 1:
    > Previous count: 1504
    > Current count: 2507"

    This is alarming from around 10-30 upwards. This disk is
    very near death. It somehow manages to hang on, but very
    soon it will run out of replacement sectors.

    > This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

    > Before I start the proccess of returning it as a faulty item I want to
    > make sure it is indeed faulty.

    Very, very, very faulty.

    > I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides putting it into
    > a PC how would I go about testing again.

    > Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

    Yes. But entirely unnecessary.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    ----

    Arno, Mar 30, 2011