    Is there a way to change this behavior and have IE download to the target
    location directly?

    Thanks

    Guest, Nov 27, 2005

    Noel Paton Guest

    No - but what you can do is relocate the TIF and TEMP folders to a drive
    with more space on it.
    You don't specify your OS _ so I'll ASSume it's XPSP2....

    For the TIF
    Internet Options|General| Settings - Move Folder
    For the Temp folder -
    System Properties|Advanced|Environment Variables - User variables
    in both cases define a path to existing folders on a drive with sufficient
    space.
    You should limit the TIF folder after moving it - the default is 10% of the
    drive size, and is way too big on any reasonable-sized drive.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Nov 27, 2005

    That's right the os is XPSP2. You see, even if I were to move the temp folder
    to the bigger drive (10 Gigs), there is still not enough room to hold 2
    copies of the file (one in the temp folder and enough room to copy it to the
    same drive when download is done) as it would need 12 Gigs. This seems like a
    big limitation requiring the users to have 2X the needed space for
    downloading files. My situation might seem like a corner case but I can see
    other scenarios where someone would want to download a large file (larger
    than their local free space) to a network share with a lot more free space.
    What is the reasoning behind this? Why not just a direct download to the
    specified location?

    Thanks

    Guest, Nov 27, 2005

    Noel Paton Guest

    IIRC, it's actually a security restriction - but I don't really know.
    What you could do is use a Download Manager - GetRight would do what you
    want (and is Shareware) www.getright.com, and gives a number of other
    benefits.

    Noel Paton, Nov 28, 2005