Defragmenter doesn't finish

Jesse

When I run defragmenter, the process begins, but only gets to 3% before
stopping and saying "defragmentation complete". If I view the report at this
point, I see that the disk is still badly fragmented. How can I force it to
finish the job?

- This is XP Pro, booted in "diagnostic startup"
- There is no relevant information in the event log
- The disk has only 13% free space (defrag likes 15% free space)

Thanks!

Wesley Vogel

Ensure that your disk has at least 15% free space
[[A volume must have at least 15% free space for Disk Defragmenter to
completely and adequately defragment it. Disk Defragmenter uses this space
as a sorting area for file fragments. If a volume has less than 15% free
space, Disk Defragmenter will only partially defragment it. To increase the
free space on a volume, delete unneeded files or move them to another
disk. ]]

Gerry Cornell

Jesse

Wes is right.

In Disk CleanUp there are "More Options" try removing all but the last
System Restore point that will create some space and remove a number of
large fragmented files. Compacting Outlook Express files will also help.
Empty the Recycle Bin!

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wesley Vogel said:
Ensure that your disk has at least 15% free space
[[A volume must have at least 15% free space for Disk Defragmenter to
completely and adequately defragment it. Disk Defragmenter uses this space
as a sorting area for file fragments. If a volume has less than 15% free
space, Disk Defragmenter will only partially defragment it. To increase the
free space on a volume, delete unneeded files or move them to another
disk. ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In
Jesse said:
When I run defragmenter, the process begins, but only gets to 3%
before stopping and saying "defragmentation complete". If I view the
report at this point, I see that the disk is still badly fragmented.
How can I force it to finish the job?

- This is XP Pro, booted in "diagnostic startup"
- There is no relevant information in the event log
- The disk has only 13% free space (defrag likes 15% free space)

Thanks!

Feng Mao

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for posting!

Personally, I agree with Wesley's suggestion. When Disk Defragmenter works,
it will place the fragmented segments to the end of the disk, combine them
to a complete file if possible and then copy it back. If there is not
enough free space, it may not be able to finish the job.

Safe mode is also a good suggestion. Some services especially anti virus
services or application can prevent Disk Defragmenter from working.

In addition, you may perform Disk Checker or use the command "chkdsk <drive
letter> /f" to perform a full disk checker. Incorrect disk can affect Disk
Defragmenter as well.

I hope it can help you.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Jesse" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Defragmenter doesn't finish
| Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:10:20 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
|
| When I run defragmenter, the process begins, but only gets to 3% before
| stopping and saying "defragmentation complete". If I view the report at
this
| point, I see that the disk is still badly fragmented. How can I force it
| finish the job?
|
| - This is XP Pro, booted in "diagnostic startup"
| - There is no relevant information in the event log
| - The disk has only 13% free space (defrag likes 15% free space)
|
| Thanks!

I have the same problem as Jesse, but I do have more than 15% disk free
space. Nevertheless, defragmenter stop after 6, sometimes 9%.

The are numerous files reported in the log that can not be defragmented,
some as small as 2MB. I would have thought that those are small enough for
defragmenter to work on (total free disk space is 700 MB).

Any thoughts?

Jesse said:
When I run defragmenter, the process begins, but only gets to 3%
before stopping and saying "defragmentation complete". If I view the
report at this point, I see that the disk is still badly fragmented.
How can I force it to finish the job?

- This is XP Pro, booted in "diagnostic startup"
- There is no relevant information in the event log
- The disk has only 13% free space (defrag likes 15% free space)

Thanks!

My problem seems worse. Defragmentation will only go to 1% and then just
keep humming along. Never gets any further. I have 64% free disc space and
when I "Analyze", it says... "defragmentation not need for this volume".
Will it only defragment when the "Analyzation" feels it is necessary?
I'm new, hope you could understand that?
Thanks

Ted Zieglar

Disk Defragmenter will work even if its analysis says that your disk does
not need defragmenting.

Disk Defragmenter gets interrupted if there are programs running in the
background. Make sure you exit all programs before defragmenting.

Try defragmenting in Safe Mode. If this works, your problem is one or more
programs running in the background.

Ted Zieglar

Hi and thanks Ted Z.

I apologize.
I should have stated that I tried this in "Safe Mode" and STILL STUCK at 1%.
I just switched from ME to XP 2 months ago and had same problem...always
restarting of defragmentation.
BUT, I COULD go to safe mode and defragment with ME.

NOT with XP.

I haven't a clue what is running in the background?!
I close out of everything. Security (firewall, etc) is Norton Internet
security, Norton Anti-Virus, and Ad-Aware.