Windows Vista Dealted Programs in start up list

Reaction score
Hi,

I deleted my programs in the start up list by mistake. Is there anyway that I can get them back them back without reinstalling them again?

Any Ideas,

Thanks,
Wiz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you remove the startup entry, or the whole application?

Using System Restore is probably the easiest way to roll back the changes :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Did you remove the startup entry, or the whole application?

Using System Restore is probably the easiest way to roll back the changes :)

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

Bascly there was a folder in the start up programs called programs with all the windows applications in the folder so I decided to delete it because I thought that it was the same and I did not need it. After doing this all the programs and applications went and now the start up programs list is blank. I tried system restore to yesterday and that said that some errors had orccerd during the restore process. So I am going to try a restore a week ago and see if that corrects the issue.

Do you know of any other ways to fix this is System restore does not?

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

Bascly there was a folder in the start up programs called programs with all the windows applications in the folder so I decided to delete it because I thought that it was the same and I did not need it. After doing this all the programs and applications went and now the start up programs list is blank. I tried system restore to yesterday and that said that some errors had orccerd during the restore process. So I am going to try a restore a week ago and see if that corrects the issue.

Do you know of any other ways to fix this is System restore does not?

Thanks,

Wiz

Hi Wiz
Silly question, but have you looked in the Recycle Bin..???

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, if you've removed something from the start menu and it isn't in the recycle bin and system restore doesn't fix it then you'll have to repair/reinstall the applications again to make the links automatically. Otherwise, you can make links to them manually.

I'm not sure why your start menu could be emptied by deleting a folder in the startup group... so I might have the wrong end of the stick.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Ah, if you've removed something from the start menu and it isn't in the recycle bin and system restore doesn't fix it then you'll have to repair/reinstall the applications again to make the links automatically. Otherwise, you can make links to them manually.

I'm not sure why your start menu could be emptied by deleting a folder in the startup group... so I might have the wrong end of the stick.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I will start reinstalling the programs. You know in the Vista start menu you have all the Windows applications like Photo Gallery and Windows Mail, Media Player and so on. There was a folder in there called programs and that had all the same files in it so I thought it was not needed so I removed it, soon after I removed it I realised that all the links did not work and then later on when I went back everything had gone.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

If you are on about having deleted the Program folder from "C:\Documents and Settings\michaelball\Start Menu\Programs" Please do tell me how you deleted it..Its a System Folder and can't be deleted...Or did you go into the folder and delete programs from there individualy..? As Ian says if a System restore doesn't do it, or they are not in the Recycle Bin, then you'll have to do a repair install..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
If you are on about having deleted the Program folder from "C:\Documents and Settings\michaelball\Start Menu\Programs" Please do tell me how you deleted it..Its a System Folder and can't be deleted...Or did you go into the folder and delete programs from there individualy..? As Ian says if a System restore doesn't do it, or they are not in the Recycle Bin, then you'll have to do a repair install..

Hi Madxgraphics,

Please see attached picture of the problem.

http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=89192170wm4.jpg

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi Madxgraphics,

Please see attached picture of the problem.

http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=89192170wm4.jpg

Thanks,

Wiz

Ok lets not panic yet..If I understand that image, you have just deleted programs that were pinned to the start menu..???
right click Start > Properties > Start Menu > Customize > Advance...Its all pretty self explanitory from there..Hope that sorts your problem..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Ok lets not panic yet..If I understand that image, you have just deleted programs that were pinned to the start menu..???
right click Start > Properties > Start Menu > Customize > Advance...Its all pretty self explanitory from there..Hope that sorts your problem..

Hi Madxgraphics,

Thanks for your reply.

I have already tried that. However when I click on display Admin Tools I still get a folder with nothing in it. So I think its time to reinstall the the programs, going to try another System Restore first though to see if that corrects the issue. Thanks for your help though.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi Madxgraphics,

Thanks for your reply.

I have already tried that. However when I click on display Admin Tools I still get a folder with nothing in it. So I think its time to reinstall the the programs, going to try another System Restore first though to see if that corrects the issue. Thanks for your help though.

Regards,

Wiz

Wiz before you do owt, go HERE and see if thisis of any help to you..Let me know..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Wiz before you do owt, go HERE and see if thisis of any help to you..Let me know..

Thanks I'll give that ago, do you know of any way to get the other windows applications to show up again in the stat menu.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Thanks I'll give that ago, do you know of any way to get the other windows applications to show up again in the stat menu.

Thanks,

Wiz

Iff you follow the steps I showed you earlier in the Advanced tab, you'll see Recent Documents, if you check the check box in there Windows Applications will show as and when you use them, for instance if you use Word, it will be added, if you open Windows Media Player it will be added, you can set the amount of applications you want showing to if you like..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Iff you follow the steps I showed you earlier in the Advanced tab, you'll see Recent Documents, if you check the check box in there Windows Applications will show as and when you use them, for instance if you use Word, it will be added, if you open Windows Media Player it will be added, you can set the amount of applications you want showing to if you like..

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I mean the other Windows Applications like windows media player and photo gallery, movie maker ext. Please see attached picture

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25853922hd6.jpg

Is there any way to get back the Accessories folder as well?

Can you please let me know,

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
All folders should have been restored if you followed the link I sent you...Otherwise do a start up repair from your Vista CD

Last edited:
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
All folders should have been restored if you followed the link I sent you...Otherwise do a start up repair from your Vista CD

Hi,

Yes I have got all the Admin Tools back but how do I get back the other Windows Apps like Photo Gallery and Media player all the other Apps that usually show up in the all programs menu some of them are still not there. System restore did not correct this either so is it time to reinstall windows?

Any advice welcome.

Thnaks,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
All fixed now. :)

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Wiz

What was the fix then Wiz..? Please do share with us and for reference for the future if somebody else has the same issue..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
What was the fix then Wiz..? Please do share with us and for reference for the future if somebody else has the same issue..

You can create Shortcuts for the rest of the apps that are with the Vista Update service you have Windows Calendar and Meeting Space and Contacts and so on. You can do it that way... But decided to reinstall Vista because I was having some other issues with it.

See attached picture for the list that I mean.

http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25853922hd6fi1.jpg

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question