DB results error message

Mettá

Database Results Error
The operation failed. If this continues, please contact your server
administrator.

Can anyone shed some light on the cause of the above on an asp page - some
db results show up and other give the above - all on the same page??

Thanks

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Metta,

Just enable debug messages to get more info,

To turn on the Debug Messages, do the following:

1. Ensure the "Show hidden files and folders" option under Tools->Site
Settings->Advanced Tab is turned ON.
2. Open the file _fpclass\fpdbrgn1.inc
3. search for the line (usually line 19),
fp_DEBUG = False
4. replace it to,
fp_DEBUG = True

Now browsing to the page will give you a debug error message.

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: "Mettá" <[email protected]>
| Subject: DB results error message
| Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:53:33 -0000

| Database Results Error
| The operation failed. If this continues, please contact your server
| administrator.
|
| Can anyone shed some light on the cause of the above on an asp page - some
| db results show up and other give the above - all on the same page??
|
| Thanks

Mettá

Hi thanks for this reminder, I have seen the errors in a little more detail,
although most remain the same, one is the missing parameters one -

Database Results Error
Your page contains a query with user input parameters that could not be
resolved.
This could happen if your DatabaseRegionStart webbot has an empty or missing
s-columnnames or s-columntypes attributes.
You may need to read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 817029.

As I am using FP2002 this KB article does not seem to apply???

The error messages are not much help especially as the ASP & DRW within the
pages has not changed and has worked for over two years?

Any ideas welcome, especially as to why the Select DISTINCT in a drop down
DRW is no longer working??

Thanks

Mettá

No, no real solution yet... I have exactly the same problem with updates.
Adding records is fine - SP3 may well be the cause. - Also Select DISTINCT
within DRW no longer works which is a real pain.

Hand coding is the only answer so far to all these problems but with
literally dozens of pages on various sites I am hopeful that MS will issue a
fix very soon!!!

Jeremy said:
Metta,
I'm getting the same Database Results Error and can't update tables. It
seems to be coinsiding with having installed Office SP3. But not sure. I can
view records already stored in tables but can't add or edit (update). Have
you found any help?

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Jeremy and Metta,

I am researching this issue. Could you please try this work around and let
me know if it work,

The workaround is to manually update the s-columnnames and s-columntypes
values in the DatabaseRegionStart webbot code.
To do so, us the following steps:
1. Create a new 'default' Database Results Wizard page with the same table
as in the page giving the error.
2. Switch to HTML view.
3. Locate the following section of code:

<!--webbot bot="DatabaseRegionStart"

4. Copy the following text of s-columnname and s-columntype [example given
below].

s-columnnames="Expr1000,EmployeeID,FirstName" s-columntypes="3,3,202"

5. Open the page that is returning the error in FrontPage 2003.
6. Switch to the HTML view and locate the following section of code:

<!--webbot bot="DatabaseRegionStart"

7. Update the s-columnnames value to include all field names, including
derived names for fields from aggregate functions like COUNT, etc. For
example:

s-columnnames="Expr1000,EmployeeID,FirstName"

8. Update the s-columntypes value to include all field types, including
derived types from aggregate functions like COUNT, etc. For example:

s-columntypes="3,3,202"

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: "Mettá" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: DB results error message
| Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:05:36 -0000
|
| No, no real solution yet... I have exactly the same problem with updates.
| Adding records is fine - SP3 may well be the cause. - Also Select DISTINCT
| within DRW no longer works which is a real pain.
|
| Hand coding is the only answer so far to all these problems but with
| literally dozens of pages on various sites I am hopeful that MS will
issue a
| fix very soon!!!

| | > Metta,
| > I'm getting the same Database Results Error and can't update tables. It
| seems to be coinsiding with having installed Office SP3. But not sure. I
can
| view records already stored in tables but can't add or edit (update). Have
| you found any help?
| >
| > Jeremy

Kevin Spencer

WHAT DO YOU ALL MAKE OF THAT????

To be honest, we're getting tired of hearing it repeatedly. Congratulations.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

PAUL E BUSHNELL said:
Problem Description: RE: ERROR MESSAGE "The operation failed. If this
continues, please contact your server administrator."
NOW CHECK THIS!

I TOOK A COPY OF THE FILE "fpdbrgn1.inc" FROM THE FOLDER "_fpclass" FROM A
WEB THAT I HAD STORED ON MY HARD DISK LAST YEAR AND COPIED IT TO THE SAME
FOLDER ON THE WEB SERVER OF ONE OF MY WEBS THAT HAS BEEN EXPERIENCING THE
ERROR - AND GUESS WHAT??? ALL QUERIES WORK AGAIN!!!!

KEVIN

I WAS ALSO GOING TO ASK YOU, WHO'S "WE'RE"

----- Kevin Spencer wrote: ----
WHAT DO YOU ALL MAKE OF THAT???

To be honest, we're getting tired of hearing it repeatedly. Congratulations

--
HTH
Kevin Spence
..Net Develope
Microsoft MV
Big things are made u
of lots of little things

PAUL E BUSHNELL said:
Problem Description: RE: ERROR MESSAGE "The operation failed. If thi
continues, please contact your server administrator.WEB THAT I HAD STORED ON MY HARD DISK LAST YEAR AND COPIED IT TO THE SAM
FOLDER ON THE WEB SERVER OF ONE OF MY WEBS THAT HAS BEEN EXPERIENCING TH
ERROR - AND GUESS WHAT??? ALL QUERIES WORK AGAIN!!!

Thomas A. Rowe

In order for those 5599 sites to be fixed, they must know that they have a problem, so you need to
contact them, as they will not know they have the problem unless they happen to run the page or see
the error message in search results.

There really was no reason to post any of your prior post more than once, as it will never get you a
faster reply.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

PAUL E BUSHNELL said:
BOY! EVERYBODY IS SO THIN-SKINNED HERE.

I JUST WANTED EVERYONE TO BE ABLE TO FIX THEIR SITES - SEEING AS THE SP3 LEFT MORE THAN 6,000
SITES EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM.

Stefan B Rusynko

And there aren't 5600 sites w/ the problems (-;
There were 5600 (now 5700, thanks to all the repeated posts by Paul) that had that error message (or a portion of it) in the posted
text
- that error message by FP is generic enough that it can come from more than 1 problem

--

| In order for those 5599 sites to be fixed, they must know that they have a problem, so you need to
| contact them, as they will not know they have the problem unless they happen to run the page or see
| the error message in search results.
|
| There really was no reason to post any of your prior post more than once, as it will never get you a
| faster reply.
|
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| ==============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
| | > BOY! EVERYBODY IS SO THIN-SKINNED HERE.
| >
| > I JUST WANTED EVERYONE TO BE ABLE TO FIX THEIR SITES - SEEING AS THE SP3 LEFT MORE THAN 6,000
| SITES EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM.
| >
| > AND - I LIKE CAPS, IN CASE YOU ALL ARE SENSITIVE ABOUT THAT ALSO.
| >
| > PAUL

Mettá

As the person who started this particular thread, thank you to those with
constructive comments, even the one who shouted about it but gave no
explanation of why/how this "fixes" SOME of the problems.

What I would really like is an answer from MS on this new problem.

So, come on all you MS guru types, put some of your expertise together and
get MS to DO SOMETHING about a growing nightmare.

Kevin Spencer

I WAS ALSO GOING TO ASK YOU, WHO'S "WE'RE"?

I imagine you'll figure it out eventually.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer