Crysis 2 - Being released on 25 March 2011

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its almost always the way over here. Same as we get shafted on the price of things compared to you guys. :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, bit like petrol prices - Americans have absolutely no right to complain at all compared to prices we pay :mad:

Ok, starved of new stuff I just ordered Crysis 2 from Play.com, 27 quid. Gamespot review convinced me it may be worth a bash.

Also ordered Deathsmiles for Xbox 360 for 17 quid on a whim :)

Unlike most of you saddos, I don't mind waiting for new games :p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So, been playing this a bit now.... Not a bad game, can tell its been dumbed down for the console noobs though. :(

Good news is that it seems the DX11 patch is buta day or two away now. Also a high res texture pack mod is on the careds too. :thumb:

I use the Advanced Graphics Tweaker here.

7436d1301266501-crysis-crysis2launcher.png

My screens can be seen full rez @ my steam profile here...
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197974318696/screenshots/

Here they are in low res.....

crysis2screen01.png

crysis2screen02i.png

crysis2screen03.png

crysis2screen04.png

crysis2screen05.png

crysis2screen06.png

crysis2screen07.png

crysis2screen08.png

crysis2screen09.png

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Consoles could possibly ruin PC gaming.

My copy should arrive by Wednesday.

Which means I may start playing by Friday, lol ;)

And then, by the end of May, I may give a comment ;)

But by then it will probably be history won't it?

But not to me :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No worries Flops, i'm thinking i'll wait till the DX11 patch is out, so IMO, your in the best position. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It arrived today, I have it installed.

Hard copy isn't installed into Steam which meant I could load the game onto my storage drive as I have Steam installed on 300Gb primary drive.

It auto-patched to V1.1 Had to activate game with supplied code number.

Attempted to log in to 'MyCrysis' site at start of game but details I gave for demo were not recognised so created different account. Could log in to the site by browsing directly to it but not from within game. And when I did log in at site each time I went to edit profile it locked me out. Something clearly wrong there then.

One of the good points of Crysis One was the ability to save the game at any point as well as having checkpoints. No such luxury here, checkpoints only.

That must have been the longest opening scene of a game ever, must have been twenty minutes long with only one place where you just use w, mouse and c.

The theme music is a ripoff of Abba's 'Lay All Your Love On Me'.

Have played to first checkpoint, visuals on high; full screen; v sync on and res at 1280 x 1024, haven't tried a higher res yet. It's running very fluidly and to these mince pies looks very good indeed. Nowt breathtaking, but very good.

Gameplay feels good, early days yet, haven't tried multiplayer yet.

I noted the review at Gamespot said gameplay went up a notch about half way through, that should be interesting.

Looks like I'm going to enjoy this one :)

My system specs are in the drop down menu to the left there.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Version 1.7 of the Crysis Graphics tool is out...

Changes (Version 1.7)
*added Max FPS
*added Draw Near FoV
*FoV's will now take in decimals
*removed 4th level as it was confusing
*removed FSAA because it had no real effect
*changed names of all levels to match Crysis 2 default names to also remove confusion
*fixed some minor bugs

http://www.wasdie.blogspot.com/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hope you like it Mr Bootstomp.

Also maybe this will be of use to you? http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Or you could just move the whole Steam folder. :)

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

That second option looks easy enough.

Here's my current situation, my C drive is a pair of Velicoraptors in a RAID 0, don't want to change them unless it's for an SSD which will probably be a similar size:

C Drive: 39Gb free of 279Gb
D Drive: 164Gb free of 465Gb

Steam folder is 132Gb

I do have almost all non-Steam games installed on D drive.

So, having given it some thought I think I'll wait until space is a real issue replace the 500Gb storage drive with at least a 1Tb drive then shift the Steam folder to the new storage drive.

And I think I'll back up the Steam folder to an external drive, luckily I have a spare 160Gb drive that just became free.

Thanks for the links :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan to me. I did much the same only two weeks ago, installed a new 1tb drive that i use only for games. My Steam folders over 200gb now and growing rapidly! lol

I decided to go with the second, slightly longer route from that link, just because i'm like that!

- Copying the steamapps folder, uninstalling steam and reinstalling on the new drive then copying back the steamapps folder. Very easy, Its just the moving files and folders between drives that takes the time. :)

The same process can be used when you move to a new PC, just remember your game saves. :thumb:

If you encounter any errors during the move process or when Steam is launched from the new location, it may be necessary to perform a more thorough process:

1. Exit the Steam client application.
  2. Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation (continuing the from the last section example, this would be the new location of D:\Games\Steam\.
  3. Move the SteamApps folder from the Steam installation folder to your desktop.
  4. Review the Uninstalling Steam topic for instructions to uninstall Steam (this must be done to remove your old Steam installation settings from the Windows Registry).
  5. Review the Installing Steam topic for instructions to re-install Steam to the desired location.
  6. Move the SteamApps folder into the new Steam installation folder to copy all of your downloaded game content, settings, and saved games to the new location.
  7. Start Steam and log in to your existing Steam account to confirm that the move was successful.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

I'd also recommend that Graphics tool too, gives you way more options that the in game menu system ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just been playing a little more of this, starting to get into it....

Screen shots here...

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197974318696/screenshots/

Also, am using a custom autoexec.cfg if anyones interested...

Code:
sys_spec_shading=3
sys_spec_gameeffects=3
sys_spec_objectdetail=3
sys_spec_particles=3
sys_spec_physics=3
sys_spec_postprocessing=3
sys_spec_shadows=3
sys_spec_sound=3
sys_spec_texture=3
sys_spec_water=3
g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=75
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=75
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
r_motionblur=0
g_radialBlur=1
cl_zoomToggle=1
r_UseEdgeAA=3
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_PostMSAA=2
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 0
cl_crouchtoggle=1
r_ColorGrading=1
r_SSAO=1
r_VSync=0
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed=1
e_shadows=1
g_enableInitialLoginScreen=0
r_HDRBloomMul=0.4
r_HDRBrightLevel=0.5
r_MultiGPU=0
r_multithreaded=1
r_ShadersDX11=1
r_ShadersDX9=0
r_driver=dx10
g_useHitSoundFeedback=0
sys_MaxFps=125
r_DrawNearFoV=75

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me too, thoroughly been enjoying this game.

Only gripe is no free saves, checkpoints smack of consoles/developer laziness.

A few observations - no goodies in obscure places, always obvious places; very linear, not much going in the way of free roam; programmed vocals 'we have a man down' become predictable and obvious; I have yet to work out what a 'tactical choice' is as there ain't nothing in manual to enlighten me; semi-automatic much better mode for weapon, easier kill; that Gould character is starting to cheese me off in a big way, he needs a slap; very accurate fire engine, shots count, even from a distance; vehicles are fun especially the ones with big guns and missiles; and that's about it. Good, but just like the first one - flawed.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have yet to work out what a 'tactical choice' is as there ain't nothing in manual to enlighten me.
Bring up your visor, look for the yellow markers. :)

You usually get two or three options, one stealthy, one flanking etc.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
loads of rubbish compared t crysis 1 or warhead. 100% console port.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Cut and dried there then eh? :lol:

I know console ports are usually bad news but I did enjoy Halo 1 & 2 on the PC a great deal.

I loved the halo series on the xbox, I bought a 360 just for halo reach and loved it, I knew it wasn't going to beat a PC fps but it was good for a console.

I expect more than what a console can offer in a PC fps game, like what crysis 1 brought to the table.

Half life 2 is a rare example of a PC game being porter to console and it plays pretty bad on consoles and looks poor compared to on a PC.

I think I'm so pee'd off with crysis 2 because crysis 1 was so damn good, and crysis 2 was hyped up so much and just didn't deliver. It's not got the open feel of crysis 1 neither the detail. The controls seem sluggish to me, and when leaning from cover you can tell they've had to dumb it down for console as there doesn't seem to be any dedicated controls for leaning and you can't lay down now?!?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
DX11 finally coming to Crysis 2! Was beginning to wonder if its worth waiting for as this is why i stopped playing it... Now i can play it properly..

Below are the patch notes for Patch 1.9, this is also the patch that will enable DX11 Support (available via a separate download). We're aiming to have this patch live and available to you all next week. As always we're interested to hear your comments/thoughts on these changes so please post them below.

Crysis 2 Patch 1.9

• Added Contact Shadows
• Added DX11 benchmark level
• Added DX11 support for Crysis 2 (the following features only work when downloading the optional DX11 package here):
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• Added Realtime Local Reflections
• Added support for Higher Res Textures Package
• Added various new console variables to whitelist
• Fixed bullet penetration, which had been broken by a bug introduced with the DLC 2 patch
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats weren't always saved at the end of a game
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats would sometimes randomly reset
• Fixed issue with MP time played statistic, which would sometimes be too low on leaderboards and in stats
• Fixed issue with JAW rocket not firing through window's containing broken glass
• Fixed rare issue where a user could not access MP with a valid CD key if they had previously used an invalid CD key
• Improved advanced graphics options menu
• Improved anti-cheat measurements: fixed exploit which could prevent vote kicking working against a user
• Improved multi-GPU support
• Improved Tone Mapping
• Re-added possibility to enable r_StereoSupportAMD via config file (unsupported)

More here...
http://www.mycrysis.com/news/crysis_2/crysis-2-dx11-and-high-res-textures-update

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, I saw that, 'bout time too.

Crysis 2 can now be had for fifteen quid (Amazon, IIRC).

I am personally stuck exactly half way through and gave up on it a long time ago.

Re: the earlier posts about moving Steam folder.

I have two drives on main computer, 2 x 150Gb WD 'raptors in a RAID 0 = 300Gb and a 500Gb Samsung.

I had ordered another 500Gb Samsung from Scan but it didn't arrive yesterday as planned as my intercom/door entry system decided to break down.

I transferred 96.6Gb of photos to my media machine (which has oodles of room left on it) and this gave me 205Gb of free space on my 500Gb drive, plenty to take my Steam folder of 143Gb.

Everything seems ok but just to be sure I backed up the whole Steam folder to an external drive first.

The new 500Gb Samsung disk arrived at 08:15 today so I'm going to fit that and use it for data and the existing 500Gb for games only.

This now means my primary drive is less than 120Gb used which means it's feasible to buy a 128Gb SSD drive to replace the 'raptors, so that shall be my next purchase when I get flush again.

Ask a Question