Reaction score
Sounds like its overheating as said....:(
BigJay said:
Played COD2 all night....
Online? If so what server? :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice, i think i seen that server in the list before....

*Great avatar you got over there! ;)

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
V_R said:
Nice, i think i seen that server in the list before....

*Great avatar you got over there! ;)

Thank you, I've got loads of them:blush:.

I don't think they would go down to well over here;)

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
ok.....Update....

I have fitter a fan to blow cooler air at card, which at normal running has reduced heat by approx 8C, but under gaming, it still shoots up.

I recon my card is shot/not up to the task, time for a new one:(

I've got about 150 quid stashed away for a rainy day........and it appears to be pi$$ing down......So, any recommendations?

Reaction score
BigJay said:
I've got about 150 quid stashed away for a rainy day........and it appears to be pi$$ing down......So, any recommendations?

Before you rush into that BigJay,

Was your system overheating before pikkakilla gave you the card?

and, if you can, try borrowing a different graphics card from one of your friends to see if it is the GPU thats overheating.

Assuming you have Pci slot, and you want pretty much the highest end DX9 card

Try that. Its pretty much what i have :D.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
This is Pika's old MB, processor and GC, and he says "it worked fine for me"

Try a different card....I'll see what I can do.

And its AGP! untill I do my next big-upgrade;). Which may be a while off yet:(

Reaction score
BigJay said:
And its AGP! untill I do my next big-upgrade;). Which may be a while off yet:(

:eek: :rolleyes: :p

Its hard to reccommend a new card thats agp slot, especially at this time. Are you a cruncher BigJay?

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
:eek: :rolleyes: :p

Its hard to reccommend a new card thats agp slot, especially at this time. Are you a cruncher BigJay?

Yup,I am a cruncher Michael, and thanks Ab's for your input.

Update.....

I've just re-seated my gc cooler, new paste and clean-up. Again, this has reduced the basic running temp to 55C, about 8C less than before.
I ran a graphics benchmark, so I could monitor the temps and it crashed, yet again:), but this time, at only 60C....lower than it has ever crashed before.

I'm going to fit my old gc over the weekend, and see how that goes.

As for a new card........I may now wait a few weeks, when I may come into a bit more cash, if the hiest comes off, and get a new mobo, processor, gc and case. If hiest fails I'll be in prison, so I wont care about my PC;)

Reaction score
As you know BigJay your cpu runs at 100% when you crunch. Have you turned off the crunching device and then done a temp check? Also, how many processes do you have running on your pc?

Just dont want you spending a load of moolah on a card and still getting high temps :D

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
As you know BigJay your cpu runs at 100% when you crunch. Have you turned off the crunching device and then done a temp check? Also, how many processes do you have running on your pc?

Just dont want you spending a load of moolah on a card and still getting high temps :D

Bionc is off at the mo, while trying to sort this out.....but it's vid. card temps that are the problem..I think
wallbash.gif

I can leave Bionc running with vid. card temps not moving.

I'm only running PC wizard and Nod32 in the background.

I'm running a temp monitor prog at the mo, to see how things are going.

I think a lot will depend on how my old vid card performs......if that runs silverfall or the benchmark, or COD2 in anything other than low settings, the card is the issue......I guess
laughingsmiley.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
BOINC will only have a small effect, if any, on the GC's temp, depending on your case. But its probably a good idea to sort this out before you continue to crunch BJ. :)

Are you seeing anyother issues, be it with other games or software?

Reaction score
V_R said:
BOINC will only have a small effect, if any, on the GC's temp, depending on your case. But its probably a good idea to sort this out before you continue to crunch BJ. :)

Are you seeing anyother issues, be it with other games or software?

I dont know for sure if it is his graphics card overheating, or whether it is his CPU, or a combination. I know that Boinc would have a serious affect on CPU heating, and when BigJay says 'overheating', it could be a mixture of a number of hardware pieces overheating?

Comprendez?

:)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

BigJay said:
Bionc is off at the mo, while trying to sort this out.....but it's vid. card temps that are the problem..I think
wallbash.gif

I can leave Bionc running with vid. card temps not moving.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
CPU temp in not getting above 42C running at 100%....only the graphics card is rising......

But as I memtioned a bit earlier, my system is now crashing with my gc at a lower temp than before (at about 65C, which is lower than the 75C in the earlier crashes), despite re-sitting my gc cooler and adding an extra blower to the case.

I now really believe my gc is on the way out.....when I try my old card over the weekend, that should answer a few questions....I hope!

Reaction score
BigJay said:
CPU temp in not getting above 42C running at 100%....only the graphics card is rising......

But as I memtioned a bit earlier, my system is now crashing with my gc at a lower temp than before (at about 65C, which is lower than the 75C in the earlier crashes), despite re-sitting my gc cooler and adding an extra blower to the case.

I now really believe my gc is on the way out.....when I try my old card over the weekend, that should answer a few questions....I hope!

The GPU should answer all BigJay :D

We'll be eagerly awaiting for the answer :)

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
The saga near's it conclusion.....

michael 118 said:
The GPU should answer all BigJay :D

We'll be eagerly awaiting for the answer :)

"We'll change the graphics card cooling fan.....that will sort you out" says Pika....
"I don't know, I recon the card is shot...." I reply.

I try the new cooler.
The card runs at 49C!....much cooler..things are looking good.

I'll just run my benchmark, so I can keep an eye on the card temps.
The temp gets up to about 56C, looking good.....it nears the end of the benchmark,"it crashed about here before" I mused.........CRASH!

So, out comes the gt6600, for about the eight time, and in goes my trusty old 9700pro.

And it runs like a dream!( that is, as well as a 9700 pro can run)
The gt6600 Is shot!
No crashing.
I can play games again.
Nightmare:D

So, save some cash, and upgrade my mobo and cpu, case and gpu in a couple of months time.
I need a lie down.....
happywave.gif

Ask a Question