Crash and burn

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Ok folks.....sort this one out for me.

Whenever I try and play Silverfall or Stalker, the game loads up to options screen, then.......crash and reboot.
I ran a graphics benchmark with PC Wizard, and that too crashed my comp.

What's going on?

I'm guessing Video Card/settings etc, but I'm no expert.
icon_cool.gif

System spec....
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Deluxe
Chipset : VIA K8T800 Pro
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2200 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce 6600 GT
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2006)

Need to know anything else?

Thanks in advance!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Any error messages?

Have you patched Stalker? might be worth tying, but you save games wont work if you have any.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
No error message, just a black screen and reboot.
I haven't patched Stalker yet, but it does it on Silverfall as well, and when I was running a Graphics bench mark.
I haven't been able to play either game because of this, so save games aren't an issue:D

Reaction score
Get the latest NVidia drivers for your 6600GT.
*Might* also be corruption in DirectX.. a reinstall wouldn't hurt.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I had a 6600GT ... same thing happened to Oblivion as you describe ... replaced it with a 7600GT, and no other changes, game plays no problem.

Mind you, I ain't got my version of Stalker yet, but I'll let you know what breaks this time. :D

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
AbsoluteKevster said:
Get the latest NVidia drivers for your 6600GT.
*Might* also be corruption in DirectX.. a reinstall wouldn't hurt.

I had the latest NVidia drivers, even tried a roll back to the previous drivers, with no succsess.
I'll give DriectX a go.

Cheers

*Update*

The reinstall of DirectX didn't sort it.
wallbash.gif

Last edited:

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I had a 6600GT ... same thing happened to Oblivion as you describe ... replaced it with a 7600GT, and no other changes, game plays no problem.

Mind you, I ain't got my version of Stalker yet, but I'll let you know what breaks this time. :D

Thats good to know. I could do without any more expense at the moment!

muckshifter

Reaction score
BigJay said:
Thats good to know. I could do without any more expense at the moment!
Hey, I was peeved too ... not had the bloody PC more than a month & had to get a better graphics card ... good job I ain't a proper gamer. ;)

One "trick" I learned was to reduce the screen res down, try 1024 or even 800, that will at least show you whether you do need a better card. If it still crashes, there is defiantly something wrong with "compatibility" of something or other.

I haven't patched Stalker yet ...
... :rolleyes:

... but the 6600gt really can't handle it well at all (unless you're at a really low resolution and turn all of the other settings down). I actually encountered more graphical glitches with dynamic lights on than off with my 6600gt.

I'm very helpful today. :lol:

Sorry BJ, not laughing at you ... I was caught out also with a 6600gt & SLI at that too.

:user:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I actually encountered more graphical glitches with dynamic lights on than off with my 6600gt.
Running a 6600GT you should definitely turn off the dynamic lighting, set it to static lighting and you will see a difference in FPS. You will have to turn all the detail down too...

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
V_R said:
Running a 6600GT you should definitely turn off the dynamic lighting, set it to static lighting and you will see a difference in FPS. You will have to turn all the detail down too...

The game usually crashes before I can even tweek the in-game graphic options!.
But I set them low on my desk top, and the game loaded and I managed to play for about 10 mins before, yup, crash!

I don't know what else I can do, before I have to go shopping:(

Last edited:

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
I try and run the game, and keep nipping out of it to check the card, and the las temp was around 73 deg C, when it crashed.
It runs at about 63 normally.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Not wishing to rub any salt into your wounds BJ, but I finally got my copy of Stalker today (me brother forgot to bring it round yesterday :rolleyes: ) ... it err, runs very nicely on my Vista setup. Default settings out of the tin box. :thumb:

63C on a graphics card ... man, that sounds way to HOT for me. :eek:

user.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
BigJay said:
So, do we think card cooling is the issue?
A strong possibility, but, I would expect it to "crash" playing some other games also.

Take the side off the case, is the fan even working? is it clogged with dust ?

:user:

Reaction score
:eek: Well its a something cooling issue BJ, i mean on my rig its in the 30's and when it gets to the low 40's there is a huge decrease in performance. Somethin' is way too hot. Probably graphics card cooling system failure, or something like that. Could be that it's dusty inside. Im just throwing ideas here :D

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
This system has only recently been put in, so dust won't be a problem yet!

From doing a bit of reserch, I've found that these temps do seem a bit hot.

Pikakilla (this cards previous owner), said that the temps I'm having were normal for him, and he had no problems
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif

Reaction score
66 isn't exactly molten, but it is higher than usual. You have good airfllow in your case? You could try reseating the heatsink?

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys folks.

Played COD2 all night, no problems untill i changed my graphic settings to high, just to see, then....and you know the rest.

Will checkout the cooling when I have a bit af spare time.

The case is quite old, so I may need to upgrade it, no room to add extra fans at the mo.
I may just take my Dremmel to it!.

Reaction score
Yeah well it sounds like whenever you really tax your card it overheats and dies. Had that on my 9600. I bought a new heatsink. But yeah if the case airflow is bad then really a new fan or something won't have that much effect as it will just circualte warm air inside the case.:thumb:

Ask a Question