CPF or the Comodo Personal Firewall

John Fitzsimons

Guys.... good news :) all being well on Tuesday 28th March we will
have CPF v2 launched publicly.

Better news would be "......for win 98 systems" and "...with a non
expiring licence."

Regards, John.

Comodo

John

We have a win98 firewall already that we used to sell previously. We
are thinking about bringing it back. It will require some face lift
etc. We are evaluating the resources required to see if it will be
feasible or not.

Melih

Craig

David said:
toodeloo wrote:
[...]

Thx for the response. If you don't mind me asking:

- Are you planning to stick w/Win98SE beyond MS' end-of-life? and Yes
- Do you have a migration plan?
Linux.

Sooo;

Just for clarification. Is toodeloo David? Or did we broaden the
conversation?

-Craig

Craig

Comodo said:
John

We have a win98 firewall already that we used to sell previously. We
are thinking about bringing it back. It will require some face lift
etc. We are evaluating the resources required to see if it will be
feasible or not.

Melih
Melih;

Interesting news on win98. Wrt John's statement "non-expiring license,"
I thought Comodo moved to a non-expiring schema.

Is this correct?

-Craig

toodeloo

Craig,
Thx for the response. If you don't mind me asking:

oh no, you could ask everything. But giving answers could be a problem.

if possible, yes. But only for internet and internet related things.
It's so much faster then XP, better, no BSOD's, not every day a patch or
more and a lot of more things.
Biggest problem at this moment are the harddisks and Mobo's. The smallest HD
already become too big for FAT ( I already use a 150 GB disk and could only
use 128 Gb of it ) and modern Mobo's demands at least W98SE.
- Do you have a migration plan?

I have a working XP ( no SP's ) computer for heavy graphic work and other
CPU consuming matters; one with Suse 9.3 and let's say some test computers.
My migrating plan is most likely to migrate to Suse after XP' end-of-live.
But maybe Ubuntu or BSD; I'm going to look and evaluate both this year; I
read a lot of possitive things about it and you don't need to be an expert
anymore to work with this software.
But my W98SE systems are so much more secure to access the internet then my
Linux PC's that I prefer W98SE ( I'm still in a learning curve for Linux.
With W98SE I know I have an OS which doesn't have an own mind like XP; if I
change something that stays changed after I boot my PC and not like XP you
have to hope that things stay changed ).
Most of my Pc's have their own purpose, so talking about a migration plan is
a little bit tricky.
Reason I ask is that I'm mightily trying to veer from Win2k to Linux (or
BSD or Solaris) /before/ MS drops support next year sometime.

support or not; why should you switch? If it works OK and without problems
don't change in my opinion ( I think you must be able to configure and
set-up a W98SE/Win2k computer without problems and knowing which software
and versions you should use ). A 1 G - 2 G computer is fast enough for
internet access and cheap and the Mobo works good with my spare parts. A
dual-core PC for only surfing? Most people are stupid enough to buy such a
monster.

Satisfied?

toodeloo

Just for clarification. Is toodeloo David?

no, I only use one name in a discussion.
If you looked at the proporties you didn't asked this question.
Or did we broaden the conversation?

I think so.

toodeloo

Comodo
So I am a bit puzzled with your posting saying we should not talk about
improvements.

everybody could make mistakes and I was testing when we were asked to stop
with this conversation.
You promissed us to make the CPF freeware, but that's not the case. So, we
should leave this newsgroup.

Comodo

Toodeloo

NP.

Question to you: Can you please expand on the definitions(widely
accepted) of Freeware or Free Software, or how would you classify our
product?

thanks
Melih

Comodo

Toodeloo

a bit of research about the definition of "freeware" revealed this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware

Freeware
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Freeware is computer software which is made available free of charge,
as opposed to payware where the user is required to pay.

Freeware contrasts with "free software", because of the different
meanings of the word "free". Freeware is described as "Gratis", as in
"free beer" and refers to free price, versus "free software", as in
"free speech", which refers to the license freedom.

Freeware licencing

The only criteria for being classed as "Freeware" is that the software
be made available at no cost, thus being a Freeware is not directly
related to license terms. Freeware and "free software" are not the same
thing, as the former bans any payment for the transmission of a copy,
and the latter imposes explicitely that the software can be sold (the
GPL v 2.0 says "You may charge a fee for the physical act of
transferring a copy") and that you are not allowed to withdraw this
right to whom you transfer a copy ("you must give the recipients all
the rights that you have"). However, "free software" is often confused
with freeware, the term freeware being erroneously used to refers
software under either FSF GPL or OpenSource licenses.

History of use of the term
The term freeware was coined by Andrew Fluegelman when he wanted to
distribute a communications program named PC-Talk that he had created
but for which he did not wish to use traditional methods of
distribution because of their cost. Previously, he held a trademark on
the term "freeware" but this trademark has since been abandoned.
Fluegelman actually distributed PC-Talk via a process now referred to
as shareware.

Comodo

Toodeloo

a bit of research about the definition of "freeware" revealed this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware

Freeware
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[...]

Susan Bugher

Comodo said:
Toodeloo

a bit of research about the definition of "freeware" revealed this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware

Freeware

Freeware is computer software which is made available free of charge,
as opposed to payware where the user is required to pay.

Freeware contrasts with "free software", because of the different
meanings of the word "free". Freeware is described as "Gratis", as in
"free beer" and refers to free price, versus "free software", as in
"free speech", which refers to the license freedom.

Freeware licencing

The only criteria for being classed as "Freeware" is that the software
be made available at no cost, thus being a Freeware is not directly
related to license terms.

alt.comp.freeware's ware glossary is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php

"Freeware: Legally obtainable software that you may use at no cost,
monetary or otherwise, for as long as you wish."

A program with a EULA that imposes non-monetary costs on the user is not
Freeware by ACF's definition of that word.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

toodeloo

Comodo said:
and here are some more places which tries to explain what is a "Free
Software" and what is a "freeware"

< snipped >

be happy with it.

I leave this discussion.
If you did your research well you also should have found the accepted
freeware definition this newsgroup uses.
On the internet you can always find things that fits your ideas the best.
You only makes promisses and now you leave the subject.
We were talking about the CPF (wishes) and not What is my definition of
freeware?

If you didn't noticed it : every time people looks at the Comodo sites they
have the same questions.
You write something in this newsgroup and when people go for it the reality
is different.
For example : you says it's free forever after your first registration but
the sites aren't update yet. Before writing something like that your sites
should be updated and that is not the case. You promissed us registration
free software, but that seems never going to happen.
If you remember it : You could get our car in every colour, as long as it is
black.
Your version : We listen carefully to you and we do everything you ask us,
but not in your lifetime :).

Toodeloo or better

bye-bye

meow2222

Susan said:
alt.comp.freeware's ware glossary is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php

"Freeware: Legally obtainable software that you may use at no cost,
monetary or otherwise, for as long as you wish."

A program with a EULA that imposes non-monetary costs on the user is not
Freeware by ACF's definition of that word.

Susan

As anyone that reads this group soon knows, there is more than one
opinion on the subject, and this group seems fairly clearly not based
on the opinion of the wiki contributor. I understand Comodo would want
to find its CPF within acf's boundaries, but I have to agree with
others that it does seem not to be.

NT

meow2222

Comodo wrote:

Hi Melih

wrote this last night...

I think this takes me to the point where I doubt I can offer whats
needed, as I'm not currently running an OS that CPF supports afaik, and
am not happy to put something on an organisation's machine that I
havent checked out properly first. The current software testbed machine
(aka working reject with the necessary monitoring installed) doesnt
have xp, I'm one of the few that advises clients against it.

I would have to use CLP to be able to respond to your points sensibly.

The only one I could answer would be a bit more about how the more menu
works. But I'm not sure where the non-clarity is, so maybe I cant!

I'll have a go... most software has a toolbar with file, edit, view,
help, etc. This wont be seen very often on a firewall, but now and then
I will bring a FW up to set or check something. I suggested adding
another button on here, marked 'more,' perhaps just left of the help
button. When you click 'more' the user sees a menu of Comodo's
products, one per line, and when each one is clicked it displays your
info about that product. All with no connecting to the net.

The last entry on that menu is 'update this list', this updates the
list info via the net, adding any new products you've got, and updating
the info entries.

FWIW a few useful freeware utils on the list would much increase the
click rate. Clicking these entries would take the user to the Comodo
freeware page, which has side ads of your products. There are plenty of
best of breed freewares that are free to distrib for free.

The key points to this more menu system are:

1. There is no unauthorised conection to the net at any time, which is
something that really does worry end users that dont know you from
Adam. If you want to be recommended and used far and wide it is
necessary to maintain full user trust at every turn. This is something
very easily lost. If I install an app that doesnt need to connect to
the net and it tries to, 9/10 times it gets removed there and then.
Unauthorised connection is a clear security risk, given that I cant
just take the vendors' word these days, and its a waste of computer
performance I paid good money for, and dont wish to then throw away on
loads of junk processes I dont want running.

2. Users will typically click through this toolbar to see what does
what, so they will generally see the list and what youve written for
each entry.

3. Note they did this out of their own curiosity, at no time did you
try to push them or take advantage of them not realising what CLP was
when they mistakenly said yes to installing it. Thus goodwill is fully
maintained. I know you might not see it that way, but end users do.

4. The user can update info totally effortlessly if they have the
remotest interest. And the updating will not worry them at all.

5. If they dont, despite seeing what you sell, theyre probably not
prime customer potential. And theyve still seen your entire list of
offerings anyway. And youve maintained 100% goodwill with them, leading
to more firewall recommendations and more users aware of the other
products.

5. Even if they dont have the remotest interest, the info is still
updated each time they change computer, maybe every 18 months, or
reinstall, change OSes, etc.

5. The end user does not see this system as intrusive, spam, pestware,
insecure or untrustworthy. To be the no 1 recommended firewall you must
behave the best or as good as the best in each and every area.

Appreciate that firewall performance is not the prime issue for the end
user. That may sound odd, but understanding this is one of Microsoft's
good points. What does the user want? Well, as a user, I want the
following first:

1. it wont mess up my system
2. it wont annoy me with spam, gobbling cpu time, RAM, popups, etc
3. it wont connect unauthorised to the net, wont serve, wont dl god
only knows what
4. it wont be a pain to get or install, eg require giving an email
addie to who knows who who will presumabnly then spam me or pass it on
to spammers (why else would they want it?)

And _only_ when all these are satisfied am i looking for the best of
the remaining candidates. Whether its leek proof or zucchini proof very
much takes 2nd place for the end user. I know for example ZA isnt all
it could be, I have one app that walks right past it and it doesnt even
notice, but first it meets all the above, and 2ndly I read some good
reviews of it, IOW its well known and reviewers like it based on
technical abilities. And 3rd its user friendly, unlike some fws. And
ease of use also comes before performance, most users for example wont
understand talk of parent and child processes, hence the other
suggestion of 3 column explanations.

Ah boy, too late. G nite!

NT

Its been 4 days since this post, and much longer since the last one
discussing this. The points above are always not addressed by Comodo it
seems. Other concerns have come to light too. To be honest I really
lack confidence in what this software is about at the moment.

NT

Susan Bugher

As anyone that reads this group soon knows, there is more than one
opinion on the subject,

IMO the ACF definition of Freeware is widely accepted in ACF. Perhaps
you're thinking of the varying opinions re "free enough for me". ACF's
definition is near the top in these Google searches:

#7 for: Results 1 - 100 of about 2,530,000 for freeware glossary.
#15 for: Results 1 - 100 of about 2,410,000 for freeware definition

and this group seems fairly clearly not based
on the opinion of the wiki contributor.

Yup - Spyware, Adware, Warez etc. etc. etc. all qualify as Freeware.
People who think they agree with the wiki's definition probably don't
understand what it means. . .

I understand Comodo would want
to find its CPF within acf's boundaries, but I have to agree with
others that it does seem not to be.

Huh???

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

meow2222

#7 for: Results 1 - 100 of about 2,530,000 for freeware glossary.
#15 for: Results 1 - 100 of about 2,410,000 for freeware definition

and this group seems fairly clearly not based

Yup - Spyware, Adware, Warez etc. etc. etc. all qualify as Freeware.
People who think they agree with the wiki's definition probably don't
understand what it means. . .

I understand Comodo would want

Huh???

Susan

heh, talk about getting our wires crossed :)

NT