CPF or the Comodo Personal Firewall

Craig

Comodo said:
ok everyone.. its here :) Comodo Personal Firewall v2 its all free
(for ever).

See whats new
here....http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/whats_new.html

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/testyourfirewall.html
Comodo has come up with a new Leak test read all about it above.. its
called Comodo Parent Injection Leak test. here is more info on it
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/cpiltest.html

we welcome any feedback.

thanks
Melih
Comodo

Good job, Comodo & Melih.

Now, take a vacation. We'll rake it over the coals whilst your gone.
<g>
-Craig

Comodo

John

I have asked our guys to modify the website to reflect the product
(they are lagging a bit behind :) ).
it is free, perputual licens and does not require annual registration,
you can simply test it by putting your clock forward by one year :)

thanks for alerting us to the website.

Melih

Comodo

oh dear :) sounds good :)

pls try the leak tests, including a new one that Comodo discovered, you
will see that there is no other firewall in the world that passes more
leak tests than CPF 2 :)

thanks
Melih
Comodo

John Fitzsimons

ok everyone.. its here :) Comodo Personal Firewall v2 its all free
(for ever).

< snip >

Not according to your web site ....

"The license is a free, perpetual license that simply requires annual
registration."

Obviously if one didn't register annually the product would stop
working. Otherwise why would anyone bother ?

NOT a "freeware" product. Certainly not appropriate for this
newsgroup.

Not quite sure what it is "nagware" ? Registerware" ? Maybe as
Comodo can change the licensing whenever they like, "future
shareware/commercialware" ?

A "perpetual" licence that only lasts for one year ? "Conware" ?

Regards, John.

Erroneous Maximus

<clipped all>
Once everything calms down and tests have been run and all you
knowledgeable folks have a majority opinion please let me know if I
should drop my moldy Kerio for CPF. many thanks...

Craig

Erroneous said:
<clipped all>
Once everything calms down and tests have been run and all you
knowledgeable folks have a majority opinion please let me know if I
should drop my moldy Kerio for CPF. many thanks...

Like us to chew your steak for you whilst we're at it?

<grin>
-Craig

Even Afwezig

Op Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:05:06 GMT, Erroneous Maximus
<clipped all>
Once everything calms down and tests have been run and all you
knowledgeable folks have a majority opinion please let me know if I
should drop my moldy Kerio for CPF. many thanks...

I'm testing it. It works. No opinion yet.

John Corliss

Craig said:
Melih;

Fwiw, I don't mind registering (giving Comodo an email) for such a
product. As far as communication channel though, over the last 6-12
months, I've come to plug into a company's communication via their
"forum" and/or newsgroup.

So, for example, I participate in comp.graphics.app.gimp for, you
guessed the proggy Gimp. I'm in the forums for Irfanview (it was the
way I found out about the batch-mode bug). Openoffice, , Mozilla,
Win2k, Nvu, Scribus (clipped)

Craig,
I was looking over that list of programs in your reply and noticed
Scribus:

http://docs.scribus.net/

Download:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=125235

WOW! An open source desktop publisher for Linux, Mac OSX and Windows
that does .pdf output. They even claim to do .pdf importing and I'm
looking forward to checking that out.

Thanks for mentioning the program. Looks like you and others have done
so a total of 22 times in this group, but I missed it somehow. This one
looks like a sleeper along the lines of Inkscape (which amazingly isn't
Pricelessware!):

http://www.inkscape.org/

I'll be installing it and checking it out.

Thanks again!

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Kerodo

Op Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:05:06 GMT, Erroneous Maximus

I'm testing it. It works. No opinion yet.

I tried it briefly. It did one weird thing which made me pass on it. I
have a time sync program that generated a popup asking for permission
out. I allowed it and created a rule. The rule however showed an allow
for *inbound* traffic for that program but no outbound, yet it did allow
it outbound. So something weird is glitching there. Other rules for
Firefox for example appeared to be ok.

Craig

John said:
Craig, I was looking over that list of programs in your reply and
noticed Scribus:

http://docs.scribus.net/

Yea;

I like this one a lot. And it has to do with the community more than
the product itself. The community is all about desktop publishing w/in
the context of open source. So there's a lot of good discussion about
dtp in general.

What this means to me for example is good, current info & convo on:
- color separation, ICC color management
- what is /press-ready/ output (so my print shop guy is happy)
- where to find *the* open-sourced font of my dreams

I could go on but, in short, Scribus has allowed me to dump
Avery-Dennison, ignore PagePlus and stop trying to shoe-horn things w/OO
Write. OK, so I'm one happy camper. Can you tell?
I haven't looked into this just because I've never had call to use a
tool like that. Check out http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/ for a
nice listing (on left-side column) of the free-graphics movement in
general. Some are not quite ready for prime-time but, this umbrella
group may be a good way to keep an eye on all of them.

enjoy!
-Craig

Susan Bugher

John said:
Craig wrote:
Craig,
I was looking over that list of programs in your reply and noticed
Scribus:

http://docs.scribus.net/

Download:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=125235
WOW! An open source desktop publisher for Linux, Mac OSX and Windows
that does .pdf output. They even claim to do .pdf importing and I'm
looking forward to checking that out.

Thanks for mentioning the program. Looks like you and others have done
so a total of 22 times in this group, but I missed it somehow. This one
looks like a sleeper along the lines of Inkscape (which amazingly isn't
Pricelessware!):

http://www.inkscape.org/

Yahbut. . . Those two programs are not compatible with the Win9x
family. ISTM that's a considerable handicap in the Pricelessware
selection process since many people *can't* use them.

FWIW - the current list sorted by Windows OS:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006ProgramIndex.php?sortby=OS(Win)

Out of 205 apps only a dozen or so support *only* the 2000/XP family.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Craig

Susan said:
Yahbut. . . Those two programs are not compatible with the Win9x
family. ISTM that's a considerable handicap in the Pricelessware
selection process since many people *can't* use them.

FWIW - the current list sorted by Windows OS:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006ProgramIndex.php?sortby=OS(Win)

Out of 205 apps only a dozen or so support *only* the 2000/XP family.

Susan

Susan;

It's a matter of time.

The pool of win9x users continues to shrink. The pool of NT, Linux &
Unix users continue to grow. I don't think the developers are in any
particular hurry to make the pricelessware list. If not next year,
maybe in 2010.

-Craig

Susan Bugher

Craig said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
It's a matter of time.

The pool of win9x users continues to shrink. The pool of NT, Linux &
Unix users continue to grow. I don't think the developers are in any
particular hurry to make the pricelessware list. If not next year,
maybe in 2010.

<grin> Agree that making the PL is probably not their *primary* goal.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Corliss

Craig said:
Yea;
I like this one a lot. And it has to do with the community more than
the product itself. The community is all about desktop publishing w/in
the context of open source. So there's a lot of good discussion about
dtp in general.

What this means to me for example is good, current info & convo on:
- color separation, ICC color management
- what is /press-ready/ output (so my print shop guy is happy)
- where to find *the* open-sourced font of my dreams

I could go on but, in short, Scribus has allowed me to dump
Avery-Dennison, ignore PagePlus and stop trying to shoe-horn things w/OO
Write. OK, so I'm one happy camper. Can you tell?

Yep. And I've always thought that as software goes, commercial desktop
publishing programs are among the most overpriced, so this one must be a
Godsend for a lot of other people as well.
I haven't looked into this just because I've never had call to use a
tool like that. Check out http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/ for a
nice listing (on left-side column) of the free-graphics movement in
general. Some are not quite ready for prime-time but, this umbrella
group may be a good way to keep an eye on all of them.

Bookmarked! And thanks!

--

Susan said:
Yahbut. . . Those two programs are not compatible with the Win9x
family. ISTM that's a considerable handicap in the Pricelessware
selection process since many people *can't* use them.

Good point Susan and true, but I was able to install and run Inkscape on
two computers that used W98. Plus, when I was running ME, I installed it
on my system shortly to check it out and it ran fine. Of course, things
might have changed since then.
FWIW - the current list sorted by Windows OS:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006ProgramIndex.php?sortby=OS(Win)

Out of 205 apps only a dozen or so support *only* the 2000/XP family.

Thanks for explaining this, Susan. Not listing 2000 and XP only programs
makes good sense. Of course, as time goes by, more and more programs are
going to be this way just as W95 got left in the cold by many programs.

And of course (*shudder, groan*) the same thing is going to happen with
more and more programs requiring dotnet.

--

Kerodo said:
I tried it briefly. It did one weird thing which made me pass on it. I
have a time sync program that generated a popup asking for permission
out. I allowed it and created a rule. The rule however showed an allow
for *inbound* traffic for that program but no outbound, yet it did allow
it outbound. So something weird is glitching there. Other rules for
Firefox for example appeared to be ok.

Eeesh! Yep, that's a pretty major glitch all right. Hope Comodo is still
monitoring this thread and can comment on it. Does the time sync program
you refer to operate partially as a service (if such a thing is possible)?

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)
or Roger Johansson, for instance. No adware, cdware, commercial
software, crippleware, demoware, nagware, PROmotionware, shareware,
spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses or warez for me, please.

Erroneous Maximus

I shouldn't have been so cryptic in previous post.
I don't know the impact but I use: Firefox/1.5.0.1; ThunderBird/1.5;
Gravity/2.60 and Kerio/2.1.4

Which time sync program please?

John Fitzsimons

Kerodo wrote:
Eeesh! Yep, that's a pretty major glitch all right. Hope Comodo is still
monitoring this thread and can comment on it. Does the time sync program
you refer to operate partially as a service (if such a thing is possible)?

There are other reasons for not using Comodo as well. One has to
connect to their site to complete the registration process. That isn't
required by Zone Alarm and numerous other firewalls. I suggest people
give Comodo a big pass.

Regards, John.