Could Not Start DHCP CLient

G

System: Win2000 Professional, All Current Service Packs and Updates applie

DNS names fail to resolve when connected to dialup RAS services at multiple networks (DNS was apparantly working when the system was connected to the LAN)

Knowledge base article 268674 describes this condition as being caused by a non-started DHCP Client. The DHCP Client is enabled for automatic start. Attempting to start the DHCP Client manually results in the "Could not start DHCP Client" and "Error 1075 The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion"

A check of the MMC Services entry for DHCP Client DOES NOT show a dependency upon any service

Is this a known problem? Any thoughts? This WAS working ok for a long time. Last week, a Windows Update problem forced a refresh of the Win2K install (same registry) and I will admit suspicion that this is related (the machine was not used on dialup until now)

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

G

A correction to my original posting

While the MMC Services show no dependencies (which may in itself be a bug), the Event Log contains a relevant entry of

Event Type: Erro
Event Source: Service Control Manage
Event Category: Non
Event ID: 700
Date: 11/22/200
Time: 8:18:57 A
User: N/
Computer: ODYSSEU
Description
The DHCP Client service depends on the following nonexistent service: SYMTDI

My apologies for the earlier inaccuracy

G

Problem resolved, and a thank you to Moshe Yudkowsky of Disaggregate Consulting for publishing a www article on this very symptom

The problem is apparently a reference to SYMDTI in the DHCP DependOnService registry key. Removing the reference to SYMDTI and rebooting the node appears to have corrected the problem

Ask a Question