Cookies Settings - Re-enable

cann.my

Using Internet Explorer 6 I was successfully accessing all
websites until recently. I am now unable to access any
previously established or new sites requiring cookie
files. At each attempt I receive a message stating
that "access denied, cookies are disabled and must be
enabled on your browser." I downloaded instructions on
how to enable cookies in your browser and checked all
settings and cookie selection buttons under Internet
Options on the browser toolbar. All are correctly set
according to the wind.XP info I have. I still am unable
to access websites.

My delima: How to re-establish or enable cookies on the
web browser if settings appear correct????

Don Varnau

Hi,
First... do you have a firewall or other security program blocking cookies?
Other possibilities:
814141 - Error Message Your Web Browser Options Are Currently Set to Disable
Cookies...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814141
Q175662 - Error Message Not Accepting Cookies:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q175662
299331 - Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299331
Q315207 - Error Message Cannot Open Webpage Because Cookies Are Not Enabled:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315207
Q317689 - Error Message Your Browser Is Not Currently Set to Accept Cookies:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q317689

http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#cookies

Hope this helps,
Don

OK, so what if NONE of that works or applies. Since Microsoft support seems helpless in addressing this obvious glitch, I went to Dell for help (since Microsoft says you're better off going to the place that sold you the stuff pre-installed). Dell's best suggestion? Get a different web browser and start over.

So, is there an answer to this problem that actually works -- besides giving up on Internet Explorer altogether?

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"cann.my" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Using Internet Explorer 6 I was successfully accessing all
websites until recently. I am now unable to access any
previously established or new sites requiring cookie
files. At each attempt I receive a message stating
that "access denied, cookies are disabled and must be
enabled on your browser." I downloaded instructions on
how to enable cookies in your browser and checked all
settings and cookie selection buttons under Internet
Options on the browser toolbar. All are correctly set
according to the wind.XP info I have. I still am unable
to access websites.

My delima: How to re-establish or enable cookies on the
web browser if settings appear correct????

Don Varnau

If nothing in my post or ANY of those links helps, then I don't know what
else to try. Sorry.

Don
--

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Robert Aldwinckle

So, is there an answer to this problem that actually works --

It's possible is that the message is erroneous for an indication of user
error (such as the configuration issue that Don was trying to ask you about.)
Identifying such a case could require details and feedback from suggestions,
neither of which you seem inclined to provide.

---

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Regarding Don's suggestions:

1. My security software prompts for cookie acceptance -- nothing is automatically denied.

2. First linked article: time and date are already correct

3. Second linked article: references possible solutions for earlier versions with no reference to IE6 -- the versions from which it appears the vast majority of these problems eminate.

4. Third linked article: suggests all the elementary cookie-enabling steps that have obviously been attempted without success.

5. Fourth linked article: No "AdSubtract" has been installed.

6. Fifth linked article: Problem does not involve sites saved as "Favorites"

7. Sixth linked article: Simply links to the previously-mentioned articles
It's possible is that the message is erroneous for an indication of user
error (such as the configuration issue that Don was trying to ask you about.)

HUH?

"cann.my" wrote in message Using Internet Explorer 6 I was successfully accessing all
websites until recently. I am now unable to access any
previously established or new sites requiring cookie
files. At each attempt I receive a message stating
that "access denied, cookies are disabled and must be
enabled on your browser." I downloaded instructions on
how to enable cookies in your browser and checked all
settings and cookie selection buttons under Internet
Options on the browser toolbar. All are correctly set
according to the wind.XP info I have. I still am unable
to access websites.

My delima: How to re-establish or enable cookies on the
web browser if settings appear correct????

Robert Aldwinckle

3. Second linked article: references possible solutions for earlier
versions with no reference to IE6 -- the versions from which it appears
the vast majority of these problems eminate.

Generally that is not a good reason to ignore them as sources of ideas.

5. Fourth linked article: No "AdSubtract" has been installed.

I think that that should be regarded as a specific instance of general
case. What all does your Security application do to Cookies?
Does it block ads too?

Many messages tend to reflect a programmer's guess at the most common
reason for what is causing an exception condition. They don't necessarily
give us the real condition and thereby can unnecessarily confuse diagnosis
of problems which are being caused by less common reasons.

For example, say you have a site which you visit for the first time at its main
page. You are presented with a Cookie. You navigate to a page deeper
in the site unaware that IE is presenting the Cookie that you received at the
main page with your request and more importantly that the site depends on
both the presence and the format of that Cookie. You decide you like this deeper
page a lot and decide to bookmark its link to allow you to access it directly and
always skip the main page. This sets up the possibility that eventually
the Cookie that IE presents with each later request may become obsolete
or deleted. Then the application which all along seemed to be working just
fine by starting at the deeper page throws up a message which says "Your browser
doesn't support Cookies" when really what the problem is that the Cookie
that it wants isn't available to be presented. The fix then would be to back up
to the main page again, pick up a fresh Cookie and then navigate to the Favorite
page normally. I think that this would almost certainly be the case if you got
such as message but were not being given a fresh Cookie. Users could
perhaps detect that case by activating prompts for Cookies. If they don't
get a prompt that is a clue that IE is either going to be using an old Cookie
or not have one to present. Other diagnostics regarding Cookies (apart from
an HTTP packet trace) would be the Privacy Report (e.g. Alt-V,v) and the
TIF viewer (e.g. with Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V then with View Details,
and View, Arrange Icons by... Last Accessed)

If you take a specific example and analyse it as objectively as possible
I think you might have more success than just taking half-hearted stabs
at commonly used solutions.

HTH

Robert
---