    I bought this computer from a pawn shop and I do not have a system recovery
    disk for it.

    I have also lost all sound on my computer.

    sheps1shot, Feb 24, 2009

  2. sheps1shot

    SC Tom Guest

    "sheps1shot" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can someone help me figure out why I can not get my computer to start up
    > in
    > normal mode. When I start it up in normal mode it comes up like it is
    > then it just goes blank and my monitor just shuts off and the on/off light
    > just blinks.
    >
    > I alos keep getting an error that says snmaster.idx database needs to be
    > restored.
    > I bought this computer from a pawn shop and I do not have a system
    > recovery
    > disk for it.
    >
    > I have also lost all sound on my computer.

    Look here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18503301-SNMasteridx-Database-is-missing-Please-restore-this-file

    Looks like the file is an AOL file. That probably isn't what's causing the
    blank screen, though. While you're in safe mode, check what kind of video
    card you have, and what version drivers are installed for it. You might try
    setting a lower refresh rate and resolution in the driver properties- I've
    seen this happen on some of the CAD stations I worked on when I brought them
    to my area but had to hook them up to my old CRT instead of the nice LCD's
    the engineers had. My CRT wouldn't go to the resolution they had it set to,
    so it would black out and the power light would blink.

    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Feb 24, 2009

  3. sheps1shot

    Bob Harris Guest

    To build on what the previous reply said, you might want to download and
    install the latest video drivers for the video card. If the video is built
    into the motherboard, instead of being on a separate card, check the
    PC-maker's support site for drivers.

    Bob Harris, Feb 27, 2009
  4. sheps1shot

    Alister Guest

    On Feb 24, 6:55 pm, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    > "sheps1shot" <> wrote in message

    > > Can someone help me figure out why I can not get my computer to start up
    > > in
    > > normal mode. When I start it up in normal mode it comes up like it is
    > > then it just goes blank and my monitor just shuts off and the on/off light
    > > just blinks.

    > > I alos keep getting an error that says snmaster.idx database needs to be
    > > restored.
    > > I bought this computer from a pawn shop and I do not have a system
    > > recovery
    > > disk for it.

    > > I have also lost all sound on my computer.

    > Look here:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18503301-SNMasteridx-Database-is-mis...
    >
    > Looks like the file is an AOL file. That probably isn't what's causing the
    > blank screen, though. While you're in safe mode, check what kind of video
    > card you have, and what version drivers are installed for it. You might try
    > setting a lower refresh rate and resolution in the driver properties- I've
    > seen this happen on some of the CAD stations I worked on when I brought them
    > to my area but had to hook them up to my old CRT instead of the nice LCD's
    > the engineers had. My CRT wouldn't go to the resolution they had it set to,
    > so it would black out and the power light would blink.
    >
    > SC Tom

    Changing the video settings in Safe Mode doesn't affect the video
    resolution in Normal mode..

    Instead, when booting, press and hold the F8 key until you get the
    boot options screen.
    Select VGA mode from the list and hit enter. When the PC has finished
    booting, you can select a
    valid screen resolution and then you MUST reboot for it to save as
    your new normal mode video settings.

    Alister

    Alister, Feb 27, 2009
  5. sheps1shot

    SC Tom Guest

    "Alister" <> wrote in message
    On Feb 24, 6:55 pm, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    > "sheps1shot" <> wrote in message

    > > Can someone help me figure out why I can not get my computer to start up
    > > in
    > > normal mode. When I start it up in normal mode it comes up like it is
    > > then it just goes blank and my monitor just shuts off and the on/off
    > > light
    > > just blinks.

    > > I alos keep getting an error that says snmaster.idx database needs to be
    > > restored.
    > > I bought this computer from a pawn shop and I do not have a system
    > > recovery
    > > disk for it.

    > > I have also lost all sound on my computer.

    > Look
    > here:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18503301-SNMasteridx-Database-is-mis...
    >
    > Looks like the file is an AOL file. That probably isn't what's causing the
    > blank screen, though. While you're in safe mode, check what kind of video
    > card you have, and what version drivers are installed for it. You might
    > try
    > setting a lower refresh rate and resolution in the driver properties- I've
    > seen this happen on some of the CAD stations I worked on when I brought
    > them
    > to my area but had to hook them up to my old CRT instead of the nice LCD's
    > the engineers had. My CRT wouldn't go to the resolution they had it set
    > to,
    > so it would black out and the power light would blink.
    >
    > SC Tom

    Changing the video settings in Safe Mode doesn't affect the video
    resolution in Normal mode..

    Instead, when booting, press and hold the F8 key until you get the
    boot options screen.
    Select VGA mode from the list and hit enter. When the PC has finished
    booting, you can select a
    valid screen resolution and then you MUST reboot for it to save as
    your new normal mode video settings.

    Alister

    Well, duh, of course you're right. Don't know what I was thinking on that
    one. I was still in the "remove the old drivers" mode of thought, then lost
    all of it. Call it a senior moment, or half-heimer's since I only recall
    half of what I need to know at times :)

    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Feb 27, 2009