Computer for sale - anyone interested?

Reaction score
Hey there - I am looking to see if anyone would like to buy a computer because i need more experience in building them - possible career. This is the system, the oldest parts are less than 6 months old and it fly's like a bitch!

System spec is as follows:

- Abit IC7-G Max 2 Advance

- Intel P4 2.8GHz 800Mhz - Capable of doing 3.2GHz stable at stock voltage

- Cooled by a thermalright SP-94 with 80mm fan

- 2x256Mb sticks Dual channel OCZ PC4200 533MHz can run at cas 2 (2-7-3-3) possibly even faster - rated for 2.9v

- Radeon 9800Pro 128Mb DVI/TV Out (speeds can reach 425Mhz core and 360Mhz memory)

- 80Gb Samsung silent SATA HDD 7200Rpm 8Mb Cache

- practically new Sony DVD Burner - writes all/most formats (DVD at 4x)

- Samsung CDRW 52x

- Floppy Drive

- Leadtek Winfast PVR2000Deluxe with Remote Control (TV Capture/S Video/AV inputs)

- All in an Antec SOHO File server - all drives in black to match. Looks the part lockable side door and front door, dust filter, multiple drive lights, removable drive caddy's, snap in fan mounts)

- Antec TRU POWER 400w Power Supply with Active PFC making it environmentally friendlier and very reliable, low noise

- Legitimate original copy of Microsoft Windows XP Home

As i built this system for myself i used only quality performance parts, no expense spared. It has served me well for the 5 or 6 months i have had it and it does "Fly like a Bitch"!!! Want to sell as need as much computer building experience as possible because i want to be a pro at this stuff as i want to go into computer building for a career.

I'd like to get about £925 for this - i'll consider offers. have seen lower spec computers for much more at places like adtrader etc.

What you think?

Regards, Chris

p.s if you need to know i live in Hampshire

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Christopher,

It all sounds good - you may want to take some pics of it though :) I think your price might be a little on the high side for a system with limited warranty and no monitor. I'd recommend adding up the current price of the components and basing the selling price around that, as prices come down all the time.

Glad to see you are venturing into building your own :D

Ian

Reaction score
Yeah i guess but what i want to do with this project is not have to spend any money really - can't afford to but i need lots of experience.

The computer itself is pretty good - very neat inside and the temperatures are low what with the SP94. I would also offer free technical support and the oldest components are at max 5 months old - built late january.

How do i post pictures?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you take some with a digital camera if you have one, then use the attach files button at the bottom of the "Post Reply" page. They'll appear in the post after that :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
That is very over priced, you could build a better comp for the same price, and all that stuff would be brand new from the shop.

I know you spent alot of time on your pride and joy, but prices for computer components drop quite abit when there second hand. You might wanna revise your price.

Reaction score
just to put it in perspective chris, i wouldn't offer more than £500 for that system.

the fact that you've overclocked it wouldn't help the life of the componants thus a drop in price is required.

i've guess-timated that you've spent £750 - £800 on this rig, so a price tag of maybe £900 is reasonable, if it was new and not overclocked, as it isn't (6 months is quite alot of use for a pc) i'd asking maybe £600 for it.

word of advice chris, selling computers is not the easiest way to make money! especially if you wait 6months before selling.

all the best

James

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The only real way you can make money from building computers is if you get everything in bulk or OEM.

Or you've done a fantastic job on modding the case e.g flasing leds, windows, LCD screen, stealthed drives and it looks like summut from Alienware, looks beautiful and unique!

Also, it might help to post some benchmark results from 3DMark01, 3DMark03 and Sandra.

Last edited:
Reaction score
here's something to think about mate, most pc manufacturers make very little on selling the pc itself, the money comes from the warranties they sell, if you can offer that service your laughing!

Reaction score
offer free parts and labour on any repair within a specified period and charge the customer more.

something like

£200 for 3yr warranty
£150 for 2yr warranty
£100 for 1yr warranty

and as long as you build your machines well and with quality componants they won't use the warranty often (hopefully not at all).

that's how you make your money, best thing to do is sell the machine at cost but include a manatory warranty for example:

machine: £500 (cost to you £500)

warranty: £200 (cost to you ???)

total cost of machine including 3yr warranty £700

so...

£200 minus any repairs in the 3 yr period = your profit.

James

Last edited:
Reaction score
So maybe i could say "free tech support and upgrade installations plus free 2 year RTB warranty" as the original component warranties i think are usually 3 year and the oldest parts are 4/5 months old

Reaction score
thats the general idea although there are seveal things you need to consider. recovery etc, i'll post more about it tomorrow, gotta get off to the pub now, but have a look at some of the manufacturers sites for ideas.

need beer! had enough of computers for one week.

james

Reaction score
Reefsmoka - my 3dMark 2003 score is in excess of 6000 marks - not too bad i dont think. also it looks like this and all the drives match the case...
SX1040BII.jpg

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
I think it sounds great and if I hadn't bought one very recently because of sodgy dealings at Microland Technology I would be up for it!!!!!

Good luck Chris in this and other ventures!!

Gabriella xx

Reaction score
Wow well that was very unexpected. Thankyou very much indeed!

As it happens i have just had an email from someone saying they are interested!

Hope to make a sale soon!

Oh by the way if there are any people who dont want to build computers and would rather buy ready made i would be very happy to build a computer of any spec for the price of components, delivery and i dunno 20/25 quid or so.

chris

Reaction score
Oh and i forgot to mention that if anyone is interested at all then do say because i havent secured a deal yet.

chris

Reaction score
Seems like that interested buyer was a possible fraudist:

Wanted me to accept a cheque from an "associate" in the USA for £4100, deduct the money, shipping costs and a "£50 compensation fee" for doing all this work then western union the remaining sum to him!

Is that not called money laundering?

I told him to accept his own cheques and then send me cash via registered mail. He said nope.

back down from any offers you have from (e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question