    be greatly appreciated. I know very little about Windows 2000 Professional so
    if I get this computer unlocked I will use it mainly as a hobby computer
    short of anything else. Please help!!!!!

    VIPERST, Dec 7, 2008

  2. Hello VIPERST,

    Stick to your other posting, Pegasus gives you lot of infos how to do it
    and just creating a new posting will not change them. The tool from pnordahl
    is great and works easy if you just follow the description. You do not have
    to be a techie.

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    no rights.

    Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS], Dec 7, 2008

  3. VIPERST

    VIPERST Guest

    "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

    > Hello VIPERST,
    >
    > Stick to your other posting, Pegasus gives you lot of infos how to do it
    > and just creating a new posting will not change them. The tool from pnordahl
    > is great and works easy if you just follow the description. You do not have
    > to be a techie.
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Meinolf Weber
    > Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
    > no rights.
    > ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
    > ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
    >

    > > I have a Compaq Armada 1590DMT which I received from a friend who no
    > > longer used it and of course no disks and locked out without
    > > passwords. I am not a techie so I have tried the site you usually give
    > > on here (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/) and not
    > > understanding it fully i need help cracking the password. I have a
    > > computer which can create CD's but not floppies. I need to access this
    > > computer to figure out if I can possibly upgrade it with some extras I
    > > may find at a local flea market that has computer shows almost
    > > monthly. I want to do this on the cheap obviously so free sites will
    > > work best and detailed instructions for the non-techie would be
    > > greatly appreciated. I know very little about Windows 2000
    > > Professional so if I get this computer unlocked I will use it mainly
    > > as a hobby computer short of anything else. Please help!!!!!

    Well not to sound ignorant or disrespectful but Pegasus tried to sell me his
    copy from overseas which sorry but given the state of my economic conditions
    is not an option I would want to risk. I explained in my posts that I want to
    do this cheaply without going overboard. Wouldn't make much sense spending
    more on an old laptop than I did on a brand new one recently. This is a major
    pain I know but I need to do this by saving money not wasting it really.

    I tried the http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ site and if you read my
    posts you know that I have had no success writing a CD from the image given
    on that site. I have Power2Go as my burning software and if anyone knows how
    to get a proper disc from that burner and get it to run despite my not being
    able to change the password or so far the BIOS (not able to get someone to
    explain how to do that to boot from disc on my computer yet either).

    I would be glad to thank whoever can untangle this multitaking mess and get
    my free laptop unlocked and usable once again without me having to buy a
    new/used OS disc, send for mystery unlocker company discs to remove the
    password, pay someone overseas postage for discs, etc.etc...

    I just want to do this without pulling my hair out like I have for nearly a
    year already.

    VIPERST, Dec 8, 2008
  4. Hello VIPERST,

    If you have downloaded the cd080802.zip from the webpage, extract it to a
    folder, you get a cd080802.iso file.

    Download and install this free burn software, small and easy to use:
    http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5

    If installed start the software, choose Actions, Burn image, browse to the
    folder where the cd080802.iso is located, choose open and burn it to CD.
    Then you can use the CD to start your computer and follow the instruction
    from the webpage.

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    no rights.

    Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS], Dec 8, 2008
  5. "VIPERST" <> wrote in message

    > Well not to sound ignorant or disrespectful but Pegasus tried to sell me
    > his
    > copy from overseas which sorry but given the state of my economic
    > conditions
    > is not an option I would want to risk.

    I beg to disagree. I never tried to "sell you" my copy of the Win2000 CD - I
    offered to let you have a copy for the cost of postage + expenses. In other
    words, I would have spent time copying the CD, wrapping it up and taking it
    to the post office free of charge, simply to help someone out of a bind. To
    see that you interpret my offer as a risky overseas sales transaction
    surprises me and I am now withdrawing it. I suggest you take up my previous
    suggestion and find a friend near you who is prepared to do the same thing
    for you.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Dec 8, 2008
  6. VIPERST

    VIPERST Guest

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "VIPERST" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Well not to sound ignorant or disrespectful but Pegasus tried to sell me
    > > his
    > > copy from overseas which sorry but given the state of my economic
    > > conditions
    > > is not an option I would want to risk.

    > I beg to disagree. I never tried to "sell you" my copy of the Win2000 CD - I
    > offered to let you have a copy for the cost of postage + expenses. In other
    > words, I would have spent time copying the CD, wrapping it up and taking it
    > to the post office free of charge, simply to help someone out of a bind. To
    > see that you interpret my offer as a risky overseas sales transaction
    > surprises me and I am now withdrawing it. I suggest you take up my previous
    > suggestion and find a friend near you who is prepared to do the same thing
    > for you.

    Never meant to disrespect you and I apologize. I may have been offended by
    the comment you made about my friend givng me a virus laden computer so we
    both kind of got under each others skin over really just poor wording. I also
    feel that by paying postage I would be violating Microsoft copyright laws
    about their software so take that as a heads up as to your offer. No offense
    meant really just covering my butt and yours for offering for any kind of
    payment

    I tried InstaRecord to write the disc image of the website mentioned in the
    other post and still no way to boot from disc when I get the Windows 2000
    Advanced Options Menu. Everything defaults to Windows 2000 and the locked out
    password screen once again. I did as the last poster said for that software
    and unless either of us missed a step seems it won't work with my mini CD-RW
    I used with each other trial and error software so far.

    VIPERST, Dec 8, 2008
  7. VIPERST

    Sid Elbow Guest

    VIPERST, this is the second thread you've started because you were
    unable or unwilling to follow the (sound) advice you were given in the
    first. It's coming across with a bit of a credibility gap:

    > Well not to sound ignorant or disrespectful but Pegasus tried to sell me his
    > copy from overseas which sorry but given the state of my economic conditions
    > is not an option I would want to risk. I explained in my posts that I want to
    > do this cheaply without going overboard. Wouldn't make much sense spending
    > more on an old laptop than I did on a brand new one recently. This is a major
    > pain I know but I need to do this by saving money not wasting it really.

    You blithely state that you recently purchased a brand new laptop. At
    the same time you claim that you can't afford a couple of bucks to take
    up Pegasus's offer of a disc copy ... he was only going to charge
    postage and perhaps the cost of a disc.

    > I tried the http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ site and if you read my
    > posts you know that I have had no success writing a CD from the image given
    > on that site. I have Power2Go as my burning software and if anyone knows how
    > to get a proper disc from that burner and get it to run despite my not being
    > able to change the password or so far the BIOS (not able to get someone to
    > explain how to do that to boot from disc on my computer yet either).

    You strenuously objected when you were described as "none too computer
    literate" and yet you've demonstrated it several times by statements
    like these (the fact that you are aware that the internet doesn't come
    on a disc doesn't actually demonstrate computer literacy ... although,
    implying that it does so demonstrate might indicate the reverse). Not
    being computer literate is not a slur or denigration but it does affect
    how much time and in how much detail and effort people will put into
    helping you and how much they expect you to be able to do for yourself.

    > I just want to do this without pulling my hair out like I have for nearly a
    > year already.

    Instead of spending energy pulling you hair out have you actually tried
    helping yourself? A few things that come to mind are:

    - Googling for help on getting into and setting up the BIOS to boot from CD

    - Reading the help file for Power2Go and/or going to the vendor's
    website to see if they have any further documentation or a faq

    - Going to the laptop manufacturer's website to see if they have a
    manual available for download that will help - or other information.

    Perhaps you have done some of this, but you haven't said so. And we
    aren't mind readers. In any event, snapping or complaining at the people
    that are trying to help is counterproductive (even if you feel
    justified). This is *your* problem and while the people here have
    demonstrated over the years that they are willing to spend a lot of time
    and go to considerable lengths to help (witness Pegasus' offer to make
    and mail you a disc), they can be turned off very easily if it becomes a
    PIA for them.

    Sid Elbow, Dec 8, 2008
  8. VIPERST

    Sid Elbow Guest

    VIPERST wrote:

    > I tried InstaRecord to write the disc image of the website mentioned in the
    > other post and still no way to boot from disc when I get the Windows 2000
    > Advanced Options Menu. Everything defaults to Windows 2000 and the locked out
    > password screen once again. I did as the last poster said for that software
    > and unless either of us missed a step seems it won't work with my mini CD-RW
    > I used with each other trial and error software so far.

    It isn't clear that you are doing what you are being asked to do.

    - Power up the machine sufficiently to put the disc in the cd-drive.
    Then *power down* the machine.

    - Turn power on.

    - If you still see a Windows menu, your BIOS is not set to boot from CD
    and you *will* have to find out how to get into the BIOS to change that
    (note that, in this case, you would have to do that even if you wish to
    re-install Windows from an install-cd).

    - Alternatively, if you now boot to the cd you are almost there. Proceed
    according to the instructions for password removal.

    Sid Elbow, Dec 8, 2008