Windows XP Common Folder Shows Up On Desktop

Reaction score
WHEN I START MY COMPUTER AFTER ALL MY PROGRAMS LOAD A WINDOW CALLED COMMON SHOWS UP ON MY DESKTOP- HOW DO I STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING? MY O/S IS WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL.

Last edited:
Reaction score
more info

What Operating System are you running?
Have you played with any settings?
Have you deleted/installed anything?
When did the problem first appear?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Common Folder Etc

I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING SINCE I'M JUST A NOVICE AT THIS AND DON'T WANT TO CRASH MY COMPUTER. I DON'T KNOW OF ANYTHING THAT WOULD CAUSE THIS TO HAPPEN MAYBE YOU CAN EXPLAIN FURTHER WHAT COULD...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Can describe exactly what this window looks like please, and any text thereon...

Reaction score
It's Just A Window With The Name Of Common On The Upper Left Corner - Nothing Inside Just Blank

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
itprincezz said:
It's Just A Window With The Name Of Common On The Upper Left Corner - Nothing Inside Just Blank
Can you click on the window and close it down?

Reaction score
yes, but that is not the issue -- the issue is that the windows shows up at start up. I don't want it to do that.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I appreciate that - I was just trying to establish whether this may be caused by some virus/spyware/malware, as you would not usually be able to close it in those cases.

I'm afraid I'm at a loss with this one, I haven't come across it before - the only thing I can suggest is running a virus check and a few adware/spyware programs to see if you have any nasties on there.

Try a few of the free programs HERE, and see if it helps.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Is it possible that a shortcut to the folder has been added to the STARTUP group in error?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
CITech said:
Is it possible that a shortcut to the folder has been added to the STARTUP group in error?
My thoughts exactly ...

go to ... Start / All Programs / Startup ... can you tell us what you have listed in there. :thumb:

Also pop along to the link Ady gave you ... if not already, install, update & run these programs;
SpywareBlaster, Ad-AwareSE, MS Windows Defender ... and CrapCleaner ... you are running an antivirus program, ain't you? what is it?

:)

Reaction score
The Only Thing In My Start Up Is My Aol - Spyware Is Included It - It Runs Constantly - Can There Be Any Other Reason Why This Folder Would Show Up?

muckshifter

Reaction score
itprincezz said:
The Only Thing In My Start Up Is My Aol - Spyware Is Included It - It Runs Constantly - Can There Be Any Other Reason Why This Folder Would Show Up?
Yep, can be a few ... you told it to, either by accident or design, another program is telling it to open on start-up, a "nastie" is on your system and is popping it up ...

I wouldn't give you a penny for AOHell ... did you use any of the programs I listed?

Reaction score
Ok Now Let Me Understand What You're Saying Is That There Is Somekind Of Spyware That Is Causing This To Happen?

muckshifter

Reaction score
itprincezz said:
Ok Now Let Me Understand What You're Saying Is That There Is Somekind Of Spyware That Is Causing This To Happen?
It could be ... may not, but if you do not at least try CCleaner I can help any further.

:)

Reaction score
Okay, I Tried Both Ad-aware And Cc And Neither Got Rid Of The Common Folder From Start Up - However It Did Rid Me Of Alot Of Unnecessary Garbage That Was In The Computer... Anyone Else Know Of A Solution To The Problem I'm Having With This Window Showing Up After Every Start Up? The Tech
Support Has Been Unable To Help And You Guys Are Supposed To Know More And Anyone Else...what Is The Reason No One Can Give Me The Correct Solution Here?

muckshifter

Reaction score
your attitude need working on ...

The Tech
Support Has Been Unable To Help And You Guys Are Supposed To Know More And Anyone Else
Sorry, but I know nothing about computer software ... maybe someone else here can take the plunge and have an idea of what You dId to yoUr comPuter.

... and it's goodby from me.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Try the following:

Open either MyComputer or Explorer.
On the Menu bar click Tools > Folder Options...... > View tab.
Scroll down to " Restore previous folder......." and if it is selected,
remove the selection.
Click Apply > Ok > Ok.

ReBoOt

Cheers,

Rich

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
ITPrinceZZ, can I offer you a few pointers:
  • Making sarcastic comments about the forum is probably not the best way to build a relationship. :blush:
  • The members of this forum come from a multitude of IT and non-IT backgrounds, and may be just have never come across your problem before, hence no replies.
  • Muckshifter is one of our most respected members, a word of apology on your part might not go amiss! ;)
As regards your problem, there might be one or two possibilities to investigate further. Assuming you have the exact name of the folder which is being opened upon log-in, have you tried running a search for the name?

If you try this and successfully find the folder in question, I suggest you rename it, not delete it, just in case there is more to the problem that first appears. We may be able to delete it at a later stage.

If you try this, let me know how you get on. Try the renameing part and see what happens when you try to re-boot the machine.

Reaction score
oopps not a happy punter

Oh dear seems we have lost "ITPrinceZZ" no good in asking for some feedback then:p

And i thought everyone on here was a professional, if we are professionals can i be Doyle, he always had a better car than Bodie and got the birds too
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
As Queen would say:

And another ones gone
And another ones gone
Another one bites the dust

\o/

Just a little bit more patience required me thinks
laughingsmiley.gif

Cheers,

Rich

Ask a Question