Common Dialog?

Len B

I hope this is correct place for this question.

Friend has problem when attempting to insert (attach) file to e-mail message
(OL2003).
Click Paperclip - Dialog opens. He can successfully navigate to file using
icons on left of dialog box (Desktop, My Documents, My Computer etc.) and
double clicking on folders as they are revealed.

However, as soon as he tries to use the "Look In:" combo
box at the top he gets machine lockup. That isn't exactly true.
As I talked him through it to describe it, this is what happened.

First click on combo's down icon - no visible change
Second click on combo's down icon - no visible change
Third click on combo's down icon - hourglass.
Wait 45-60 seconds - list (tree) descends
Select Drive/Folder - hourglass
Wait 45-60 sec - display changes.

Eventually you get where you want to go. Maybe first click might have given
hourglass eventually with enough patience. He mentions no other issues with
go-slow anywhere else.

Probably irrelevant info -
This is a brand new Toshiba notebook usually hardwired to LAN.
It is respectable spec - at least 1GB RAM as I recall, 2GB I think.
30GB(C:)+50GB(D:) = 80GB HDD plenty room left.
OEM XPPro installed just before Christmas.
Office 2003 ditto

Any ideas? TIA

-- Len

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Len,

Does this apply?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Len B" <gonehome(atoptusnet:com:au)> wrote in message I hope this is correct place for this question.

[...]

Ramesh,
You have given me something more to ask him.

At present, he is the only one in his office during the summer break so
there may be mapped drives which are unavailable because a machine is turned
off. (Peer to peer LAN). It could be that simple because when I set it up
before Christmas, everyone was still there and it worked fine.

He gave me the impression that it only happened when he tried to attach a
file to an e-mail and at no other time. Maybe he hasn't tried saving.
(That's hard to believe.)

Apparently there is no real delay either when he navigates using the icons
on the left (Desktop, My Documents, My Computer...)

I will let you know further.

Thanks,
[...]

Your kb was the answer. Still not at the bottom of it altogether though.

I was partly right. The machine I thought might be switched off has to be on
for him to get internet so that was ok after all. It is the "designated
server" on the peer to peer. He had 2 connections to shares on the computer
that this new one replaces to access old data. A pet had dislodged it's cat5
cable from the wall. Another problem fixed. Now the dialog only takes 10 sec
per click to respond instead of 45-60.

There is one more drive letter (R:) which I cannot explain. It is an FTP to
192.168.1.200. Can't open it and pinging the IP gives timeout. He uses a VPN
to connect to another office across the country so I am reluctant to delete
R: because it may have been set up by those techs for him. He doesn't know.
Anyway, I'm confident that deleting / fixing this will eliminate the last 10
sec delay. It still doesn't explain why there isn't a delay using icons on
the left side!!

Thanks for the pointer Ramesh,

[...]

Thanks for the excellent feedback, Len.

"Len B" <gonehome(atoptusnet:com:au)> wrote in message Ramesh,
[...]

news:[email protected]...