Coming to terms with Win XP after using Win 98

John Doe

Mxsmanic said:
No, they don't.

Yes they do.
Hobbyists upgrade all the time,

Says who?
but many expert users
are not hobbyists, and use their machines for production.

The troll loves to play semantics.

The term "expert user" in my vocabulary means someone who is
very/extremely proficient at using a personal computer. That is
someone who can configure Windows and most Windows software, and
might be able to easily upgrade hardware.

People who use their machines for production are professional users.
Production machines are almost never upgraded.

Home built machines are upgraded regularly, at least mine is.

The idea that someone who is good at building their own computer
wouldn't enjoy upgrading their computer is really very silly to my
ear. Then again, coming from someone like Mxsmanic who claims
Microsoft Office is a single application (another silly idea), I'm
not surprised.

John Doe

Oh come on David Maynard, it's the same Microsoft defender argument,
about how Microsoft and its executives are helplessly at the whim of
Microsoft investors.

John Doe

The troll plays dumb, but he knows that Microsoft executives own a
lot of Microsoft stock, and they have a lot to do with Microsoft's
direction. Microsoft's outsourcing of jobs to India under the H-1B
visa program and Microsoft's use of Windows Product Activation to
clamp down on ordinary home users here in the United States (about
the only support for Microsoft's empire comes from the United
States, others steal Windows) is driven by Microsoft's
executives at least as much as other Microsoft stockholders (in
fact, this troll has admitted that Steve Ballmer is gung ho for
outsourcing jobs to India).

John Doe

And if you believe what this troll says, I've got some oceanfront
property in Arizona I want you to buy.

John Doe

Liar troll

From: Mxsmanic <mxsmanic gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Coming to terms with Win XP after using Win 98
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:46:50 +0100

Which makes them lower than a lot of other software companies (and
sometimes hardware companies as well--I've seen margins of 95% and
better on things like memory).

Most Microsoft revenue comes from outside the US.

Everyone outsources its jobs. Northwest Airlines even plans to
outsource its flight attendants.

John Doe

I don't understand how Mxsmanic expects to carry on an intelligent
conversation when he snips everything except one level of quoting.
Then again, maybe he doesn't.

John Doe

Mxsmanic once again plainly stating that Microsoft Office is a
single application.

Weirdo.

John Doe

David Maynard claims that Mxsmanic never said Microsoft Office is
only one application. Coincidentally, at about the same time,
Mxsmanic once again posts his believe that Microsoft Office is only
one application.

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about Mon, 02 Jan 2006 02:52:08 GMT,
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of John Doe
<[email protected]> spewed the following:

|And if you believe what this troll says, I've got some oceanfront
|property in Arizona I want you to buy.

Will you accept a small down payment and a small monthly payment?

|Mxsmanic <mxsmanic gmail.com> wrote:

|> From: Mxsmanic <mxsmanic gmail.com>
|> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
|> Subject: Re: Coming to terms with Win XP after using Win 98
|> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:44:00 +0100
|>
|> ToolPackinMama writes:
|>
|>> I can't understand why Bill Gates isn't a big enough man to admit that
|>> he already has enough money.
|>
|> He already has. And over his lifetime, he's given about half of it
|> away to charity ($27 billion at last count, IIRC).
|>
|> --
|> Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

John Doe

Once again, Mxsmanic is trying to force his own needs on everyone
else in the world.

Oh wait, I get it. It's like Microsoft's Way.

John Doe

nos1eep said:
It is further alleged that on or about Mon, 02 Jan 2006 02:52:08 GMT,
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of John Doe
<[email protected]> spewed the following:

|And if you believe what this troll says, I've got some oceanfront
|property in Arizona I want you to buy.

Will you accept a small down payment and a small monthly payment?

Yes, if you don't expect miracles

Mxsmanic

John said:
I live on Earth, and you will be hard-pressed to find non-Windows
software in most stores which carry software here on Earth.

Paris is on Earth, and I find it easily there.

Mxsmanic

John said:
The term "expert user" in my vocabulary means someone who is
very/extremely proficient at using a personal computer.
Yes.

That is
someone who can configure Windows and most Windows software, and
might be able to easily upgrade hardware.

Yes. But just because someone is expert in the use of a computer and
might know how to upgrade it doesn't mean that she will find it
necessary or desirable to do so.
People who use their machines for production are professional users.

Many professional users are also expert users.
Home built machines are upgraded regularly, at least mine is.

Is the former assertion based on the latter?
The idea that someone who is good at building their own computer
wouldn't enjoy upgrading their computer is really very silly to my
ear.

Some people build their own computers in order to save money and
obtain the exact configurations they want or require. Part of the
motivation for this may be to avoid upgrades for years at a time.

Mxsmanic

John said:
Oh come on David Maynard, it's the same Microsoft defender argument,
about how Microsoft and its executives are helplessly at the whim of
Microsoft investors.

Most publicly-owned companies are indeed at the whim of their
shareholders. That's why Microsoft has to declare dividends now.

Mxsmanic

John said:
The troll plays dumb, but he knows that Microsoft executives own a
lot of Microsoft stock, and they have a lot to do with Microsoft's
direction.

They own more stock than most other single shareholders, but they
still represent a minority of outstanding shares. This is how things
are in many companies.
Microsoft's outsourcing of jobs to India under the H-1B
visa program and Microsoft's use of Windows Product Activation to
clamp down on ordinary home users here in the United States (about
the only support for Microsoft's empire comes from the United
States, others steal Windows) is driven by Microsoft's
executives at least as much as other Microsoft stockholders (in
fact, this troll has admitted that Steve Ballmer is gung ho for
outsourcing jobs to India).

It's driven mostly by shareholders, who now expect regular dividends,
since the stock price is no longer increasing. Ballmer is trying to
maintain Microsoft as a money machine, whereas Gates treated Microsoft
as a technology leader, with the making of money being much less
important.

Mxsmanic

John said:
And if you believe what this troll says, I've got some oceanfront
property in Arizona I want you to buy.

You could try _Time_ Magazine instead, which named Gates and his wife
as persons of the year for 2005, mainly for their contributions to
charity.