Clock fluctuations

G

Windows 2KPro has a problem with the clock. Upon boot-up, the time in the
sys tray is wrong, and if reset to proper time, it then speeds up 17 minutes
ahead and then runs regularly at that time for the rest of the day. I
installed DS Clock and synced it with Colorado AFB. Now if, upon boot-up,
the clock is not corrected at all, it will - after 5 minutes correct itself.
(Which is weird, because I thought DS Clock worked independently of Windows.)
This is happening on two out of 50 workstations. Any ideas on how to fix
this without running the outside software DS Clock).

B

BillW50

Well any computer or quartz digital clock will run fast if the battery is getting low. In the case of a PC, this means it is time to change the CMOS (setup) battery.

If it is a laptop, these usually have a rechargeable CMOS battery. And if it was sitting for like forever without any power up, running them with the screen on will recharge them in like 12 to 24 hours.

Although the speeding up 17 minutes ahead part confuses me since I haven't seen that one yet. Hopefully something I said helps.

Bill

B

BillW50

I forgot to mention this only applies when the power is off and the battery is operating the clock. If the computer is always on without any power loss... the CMOS (setup) battery means nothing.

Bill

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:00:56 -0600

Well any computer or quartz digital clock will run fast if the battery is getting low. In the case of a PC, this means it is time to change the CMOS (setup) battery.

Ask a Question