clear IE password

Bob Brannon

Hello,

I am using XP Home SP2. I am trying to "clear passwords" from IE 6. I do
so from Options, Content, and the Autocomplete area of the window. When I
try this, IE hangs. Any suggestions to fix this?

I used an earlier suggestion of deleting a registry key to get rid of the
passwords and that worked. However, when I try using the "clear passwords"
button in IE again, IE still hangs.

Regards,
Bob Brannon

hi,

Try going to internet options->Click on Delete cookies,Delete Files then
Click on Settings, go to View objects and then Select all the "program
files" in the new window and delete them (Dont worry these are just plugins
and will be again downloaded on the browser)
Then click on ok and come out of the settings window. Then click on the
advanced tab of internet options disable third party browser extensions.

After doing these steps try to clear your passwords again as you did earlier.

Bob Brannon

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. IE
still hangs when I click the clear passwords button. Any other ideas?

hi,

Try going to internet options->Click on Delete cookies,Delete Files then
Click on Settings, go to View objects and then Select all the "program
files" in the new window and delete them (Dont worry these are just plugins
and will be again downloaded on the browser)
Then click on ok and come out of the settings window. Then click on the
advanced tab of internet options disable third party browser extensions.

After doing these steps try to clear your passwords again as you did
earlier.

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Bob said:
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.
IE still hangs when I click the clear passwords button. Any other ideas?
[...]

Close IE/OE.
Control panel -> Internet Options -> Content -> Autocomplete: *first* Clear
Forms and *after* Clear Passwords.
Restart IE.
See also: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787

Bob Brannon

Hello Vincenzo,

I tried using your suggestion with IE/OE closed, as I had not done that
before. Unfortunately, that process also hung when I clicked on "clear
forms", so I could not get to "clear passwords". Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Bob Brannon

Bob said:
Hello Vincenzo,

I tried using your suggestion with IE/OE closed, as I had not done that
before. Unfortunately, that process also hung when I clicked on "clear
forms", so I could not get to "clear passwords". Any other suggestions?
[Cut]

Hi Bob,
Control panel -> Internet Options -> Content -> Autocomplete: uncheck all
the boxes and then retry to clear forms and passwords.
Try also this: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

Don Varnau

Hi Bob,
So deleting this key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW]
clears passwords but doesn't have a lasting effect? "Clear passwords" still
hangs up IE?

You might try the procedure in this article (the XP portion.) It's a two
part process. Export the registry key before deleting the user subkey.
259416- Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275465

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Bob Brannon

OK, I tried what was suggested in the areticle you referenced but ran into a
problem that the "pstores.exe" file did not exist anywhere on my computer.
Can you tell me what I should do from here?

Bob said:
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.
IE still hangs when I click the clear passwords button. Any other ideas?
[...]

Close IE/OE.
Control panel -> Internet Options -> Content -> Autocomplete: *first* Clear
Forms and *after* Clear Passwords.
Restart IE.
See also: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787

Bob Brannon

Actually I tried that and replied to the group several times that although I
could delete the registry key doing so did not prevent IE from hanging when
I tried to clear passwords. I was never able to clear passwords.

Hi Bob,
So deleting this key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW]
clears passwords but doesn't have a lasting effect? "Clear passwords" still
hangs up IE?

You might try the procedure in this article (the XP portion.) It's a two
part process. Export the registry key before deleting the user subkey.
259416- Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275465

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Bob Brannon

I tried it with all the boxes unchecked. Unfortunately, that process also
hung when I clicked on "clear forms". Any thing else that might work?

Bob said:
Hello Vincenzo,

I tried using your suggestion with IE/OE closed, as I had not done that
before. Unfortunately, that process also hung when I clicked on "clear
forms", so I could not get to "clear passwords". Any other suggestions?
[Cut]

Hi Bob,
Control panel -> Internet Options -> Content -> Autocomplete: uncheck all
the boxes and then retry to clear forms and passwords.
Try also this: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Bob Brannon

I'll try those, did you see my other post about the earlier article #251787
you referenced and the pstores.exe file it references?

Bob said:
I tried it with all the boxes unchecked. Unfortunately, that process also
hung when I clicked on "clear forms". Any thing else that might work?
[...]

And this? http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

See also: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5412

The steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885180
"The AutoComplete feature does not work after you enable it in Internet
Explorer on a computer that is running Windows XP Home Edition".

Bob Brannon

I'll try the article you reference, #275465.

Hi Bob,
So deleting this key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW]
clears passwords but doesn't have a lasting effect? "Clear passwords" still
hangs up IE?

You might try the procedure in this article (the XP portion.) It's a two
part process. Export the registry key before deleting the user subkey.
259416- Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275465

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Bob Brannon

I tried the article and when I get to "How to Re-Enter Your Password", step
2, I found there is no "Mail" or "Mail and Fax" in my control panel, not
that I need it since OE is working fine.

Hi Bob,
So deleting this key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW]
clears passwords but doesn't have a lasting effect? "Clear passwords" still
hangs up IE?

You might try the procedure in this article (the XP portion.) It's a two
part process. Export the registry key before deleting the user subkey.
259416- Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275465

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Bob Brannon

OK, the steps referenced in an article in the forum you referenced seemed to
fix the problem with IE hanging when I clear forms or passwords.

However, I have another problem if I may be so bold as to ask. There is one
site for which Autocomplete will NOT remember or ask to remember my
password. It is a site where I mistakenly told IE not to remember the
password once. I have deleted ALL cookies and temp files and then go back
to the site, but it still will not ask if I want to remember the password.
Any suggestions on this problem?

Regards,
Bob Brannon

Bob said:
OK, the steps referenced in an article in the forum you referenced seemed
to fix the problem with IE hanging when I clear forms or passwords.

Glad to help. ;-)
However, I have another problem if I may be so bold as to ask. There is
one site for which Autocomplete will NOT remember or ask to remember my
password. It is a site where I mistakenly told IE not to remember the
password once.
[...]

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=217148
"How to Use the AutoComplete Feature in Internet Explorer 5 and 6"
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ProtectedStorage.htm
"Protected Storage - Save Password, AutoComplete issues".
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306895
"AutoComplete Does Not Save Username and Password".

HTH ;-)

Bob Brannon

I am a little desperate here, given the loss of some potentially needed
registry entries and a file. Did you see my other post about the earlier