Changing display settings via registry

How to change the display settings(namely,the screen area/resolution (in
pixels) and the color depth(in bits) by using the registry) in Vista Ultimate?
I have the Intel 82810 chipset graphics controller in my motherboard.Yeah,I
know as per Vista's HCL(the last time I checked,about 2 weeks ago),it has an
`unconfirmed` status of support under Vista.I can make use of the Windows XP
drivers available at Intel's website under compatibility mode but if I use
the display settings applet available in Vista to change the display settings
then after a while(usually 4 to 5 seconds) after I change either the screen
resolution or the color depth,I get a `bad pool state` blue screen and the
system restarts after performing a crash dump.I do not want to delve into the
error message or the means of resolving it AT PRESENT.More on that later.I am
absolutely ready to experiment with my PC and know how to edit the registry.I
also know my monitor's refresh/horizontal/vertical synchronisation
frequencies accurately.Please tell me the location of the keys in which the
above-mentioned display settings may be found in Vista Ultimate,both for the
current user as well as for system-wide defaults.
It may be noted that both my graphics controller and monitor are not
recognised by Vista Ultimate,owing to which my system cannot go beyond a
desktop resolution of 640*480 pixels using 8-bit color even when I am
perfectly sure both my graphics controller as well as my monitor can go well
beyond that.This resolution is too unusable in the sense that some windows
won't just fit within that area(and some examples of them are a few control
panel applets which cannot be resized/maximised as well......in fact,programs
like Windows DVD Maker simply refuse to run at all complaining of the poor
resolution)My monitor is a Viewsonic E40-3 14"(viewable:13.2") CRT monitor
supporting a maximum resolution of 1024*768 at 60-Hertz redraw rate.
So please tell me where those settings are stored in the registry.I repeat,I
am ready to directly deal with registry settings and understand the risks of
doing the same.The HDD on which Vista is installed is not a production
hard-disk and the installation is in it's grace period before the activation
limit,i.e....should I need to reinstall,I am ready to to so.
It may also be noted that exactly these same set of drivers available from
Intel's website built for Windows XP when installed in Vista Beta 1 under
compatibility mode worked flawlessly well.I didn't have the opportunity to
test Vista beta 2/Vista RC1 and therefore do not have an idea about them.
Please do help.It will be highly appreciated and I will be obliged to you
for doing so.

Hiren,

I don't believe that you can supersede a graphics card driver with registry
entries. Are you certain you can do this. Who told you that? I might learn
something.

One thing I don't understand in your post is the comment that the Intel
drivers for WinXP worked well in the Vista beta version using compatibility
mode. If that's the case, why not install the Intel drivers and run them in
compatibility mode? That makes more sense than trying to replace the drivers
with a registry hack.

If you can't get the graphics running properly, consider installing a
separate graphics card that is supported by Vista. You can disable the
on-board Intel graphics chip and go with the new graphics card.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Freddy

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Hiren,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I agree with Freddy's opinion. There is no mixed registry
key is addressing your question. Every device has its owner GUID in
registry key. It is hard to determine which the registry key is pointed to
the device driver. If the display card is not compatible with Windows
Vista, I still suggest you install a complete compatible device in Windows
Vista.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

> [...]
repeat,I
| > am ready to directly deal with registry settings and understand the
risks of
| > doing the same.The HDD on which Vista is installed is not a production
| > hard-disk and the installation is in it's grace period before the
activation
| > limit,i.e....should I need to reinstall,I am ready to to so.
| > It may also be noted that exactly these same set of drivers available
from
| > Intel's website built for Windows XP when installed in Vista Beta 1
under
| > compatibility mode worked flawlessly well.I didn't have the opportunity
| > test Vista beta 2/Vista RC1 and therefore do not have an idea about
them.
| > Please do help.It will be highly appreciated and I will be obliged to

I cannot install the drivers in compatibility mode since they give the
`BAD_POOL_CALLER` blue screen after the final logo animation sequence before
the login screen appears.A crash dump occurs and the system automatically
restarts.

There are some updates here.I just re-installed Vista and now although in the
`Advanced Settings` window of the display settings my graphics controller is
correctly detected,not all of it's capable modes are listed there under `List
all modes`.Now the list of available resolutions goes like this:
(1)At 16 colors:640*480 and 800*600
(2)At 256 colors:640*480,800*600 and 1024*768
(3)At 16-bit(High color):640*480 only.

I desire to have 1024*768 high-color display which I know both my graphics
controller as well as the monitor support very well.So although now my
graphics controller is detected correctly,it's full capabilities are not
being recognised(although I have set the slider for `Hardware acceleration`
to be at the `Full` level in the properties).
Therefore,is there any way I can force the system to change the current
display mode without using the built-in display settings applet even when the
system does not think the graphics controller is capable of that mode?I am
ready to experiment.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Hiren,

Based on my knowledge, there is no way to do that.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SGlyZW4gTWVodGE=?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Changing display settings via registry
| Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 06:07:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
|
| There are some updates here.I just re-installed Vista and now although in
the
| `Advanced Settings` window of the display settings my graphics controller
is
| correctly detected,not all of it's capable modes are listed there under
`List
| all modes`.Now the list of available resolutions goes like this:
| (1)At 16 colors:640*480 and 800*600
| (2)At 256 colors:640*480,800*600 and 1024*768
| (3)At 16-bit(High color):640*480 only.
|
| I desire to have 1024*768 high-color display which I know both my
graphics
| controller as well as the monitor support very well.So although now my
| graphics controller is detected correctly,it's full capabilities are not
| being recognised(although I have set the slider for `Hardware
acceleration`
| to be at the `Full` level in the properties).
| Therefore,is there any way I can force the system to change the current
| display mode without using the built-in display settings applet even when
the
| system does not think the graphics controller is capable of that mode?I
am
| ready to experiment.
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello Hiren,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, I agree with Freddy's opinion. There is no mixed
registry
| > key is addressing your question. Every device has its owner GUID in
| > registry key. It is hard to determine which the registry key is pointed
| > the device driver. If the display card is not compatible with Windows
| > Vista, I still suggest you install a complete compatible device in
Windows
| > Vista.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

O.k.Fine.......it seems I must upgrade my PC to be compatible with
Vista......currently the Windows Vista HCL does not help me much......can I
get a list of PCI-only graphics cards which are atleast `Compatible`(i.e.,not
necessarily under any of the `Works with Windows Vista` or `Certified for
Windows Vista` logo programmes) with Windows Vista?I know PCI is passe.....it
is very obsolete,but my motherboard does not have any AGP or PCI-Express
slot.....I live in India and bleeding-edge hardware takes some time to arrive
here......and if I upgrade my motherboard,it eventually means that I upgrade
my microprocessor and RAM too,since my motherboard is supporting both of
these at it's maximum limits.......and I am short of money to do upgrade all
of these at present.So I just need a list of PCI(and only PCI) graphics
cards,which are atleast detected by Windows Vista properly(even if not at
installation time,atleast by means of providing a driver through Windows
Update/Microsoft Update,since I can easily connect to the net under Vista at
the first reboot itself).I want x86 compatibility,not x64.

Thanks for all the help.

Hiren Mehta,

The website www.newegg.com has a good selection of all types of graphics
cards, including those for PCI, and is a good place to review hardware.
Access the site and search on PCI graphics cards. The site will display a
good selection of such cards, but I don't know whether any of them will be
Aero compatible. It doesn't cost anything to look. If you find a card you
like, you might be able to buy it locally. Good luck.
--
freddy

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Hiren,

Based on my knowledge, there is no way to do that.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Thanks Freddy!

> [...]

Vista at
| > the first reboot itself).I want x86 compatibility,not x64.
| >
| > Thanks for all the help.
| >
| > ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| >
| > > Hi Hiren,
| > >
| > > Based on my knowledge, there is no way to do that.
| > >
| > > Thanks & Regards,
| > >
| > > Ken Zhao
| > >
| > > Microsoft Online Support
| > > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > >
| > > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > > ====================================================
| > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > > ====================================================
| > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:05:02 GMT
| Subject: RE: Changing display settings via registry
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
|
| Thanks Freddy!
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZGR5?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: Changing display settings via registry
| | Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:37:02 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
| |
| | Hiren Mehta,
| |
| | The website www.newegg.com has a good selection of all types of
graphics
| | cards, including those for PCI, and is a good place to review hardware.

| | Access the site and search on PCI graphics cards. The site will
display
| | good selection of such cards, but I don't know whether any of them will
| be
| | Aero compatible. It doesn't cost anything to look. If you find a card
| you
| | like, you might be able to buy it locally. Good luck.
| | --
| | freddy
| |
| |
| | "Hiren Mehta" wrote:
| |
| | > O.k.Fine.......it seems I must upgrade my PC to be compatible with
| | > Vista......currently the Windows Vista HCL does not help me
| much......can I
| | > get a list of PCI-only graphics cards which are atleast
| `Compatible`(i.e.,not
| | > necessarily under any of the `Works with Windows Vista` or `Certified
| for
| | > Windows Vista` logo programmes) with Windows Vista?I know PCI is
| passe.....it
| | > is very obsolete,but my motherboard does not have any AGP or
| PCI-Express
| | > slot.....I live in India and bleeding-edge hardware takes some time
| arrive
| | > here......and if I upgrade my motherboard,it eventually means that I
| upgrade
| | > my microprocessor and RAM too,since my motherboard is supporting both
| of
| | > these at it's maximum limits.......and I am short of money to do
| upgrade all
| | > of these at present.So I just need a list of PCI(and only PCI)
graphics
| | > cards,which are atleast detected by Windows Vista properly(even if
not
| at
| | > installation time,atleast by means of providing a driver through
| Windows
| | > Update/Microsoft Update,since I can easily connect to the net under
| Vista at
| | > the first reboot itself).I want x86 compatibility,not x64.
| | >
| | > Thanks for all the help.

| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| so
| rights.
| |

Greetings Freddy!
I had already written that I live in India.The newegg.com website did not
help much because of poor categorisation of graphics cards.Of course it did
not cost anything to look.
Anyway,thanks for the help.

Hi,thanks a lot for taking interest.
The updated situation now is that I have added a legacy PCI graphics
card,the NVidia GeForce FX 5200,of 128 MB capacity,which is listed to be
`Certified for Windows Vista` as per the Hardware compatibility list.Although
now I am running Vista in normal mode at an excellent resolution of
1024x768(the card can go still higher but the monitor cannot) in 32-bit
color(in short,Windows Vista's basic user interface is fully usable now),I
need assistance now.
In Device Manager,I get that yellow exclamation mark for this display
adapter whose WDDM drivers are built into Vista.I checked Windows Update but
no newer version of the driver is available.In the properties of this
device,the field `Device status` mentions that
`This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
devices on this system.
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
to see if there is a solution available.`
I did click `Check for solutions` and the system did go online to check for
a possible workaround but could not get any.
From what I can make out,the only device which would need to be disabled is
the `Intel(R) 82810 System and Graphics Controller`,given under `System
Devices` in Device Manager.The NVidia graphics card is the only one listed
under `Display Adapters` in Device Manager because I have disabled the
onboard graphics controller at the BIOS level in my Intel 810 chipset-based
motherboard.(I set the `Init Display First` setting in `Integrated
Peripherals` section of the BIOS setup to `PCI slot` instead of `Onboard` and
in the `Advanced Chipset Features` section,I set the value of `On-Chip Video
Window size` to `Disabled`,instead of the other possible values of 32 MB and
64 MB).I checked my motherboard manual thoroughly as well as Intel's support
website and came to the conclusion that there is no jumper setting or any
other hardware-based method by which I can disable the on-board graphics
controller.
Now,back to the `Intel(R) 82810 System and Graphics controller`,which I
think needs to be disabled.The only options available while right-clicking it
are `Update driver software`,`Uninstall`,`Scan for hardware changes` and
`Properties`.I already tried searching for an updated driver online even for
this system device but could not find any.I have removed the port bracket
attached via cable to the pin header on the motherboard,so I tried `Scan for
Hardware Changes`,thinking that it may detect the absence of a connector for
the on-board graphics controller's pin header on the motherboard,but that did
not help.As is obvious,there is no `Disable` option.What do I do now?
I also tried to `Uninstall` the device and disable the `Plug & Play` service
from running at startup to prevent getting the onboard graphics controller
detected at any subsequent reboot,but found out that by doing so Device
Manager would not list any devices at all.So that did not help.
At present I have a very low Windows Experience Index of 1.0 since the
detailed report for the `Graphics` and `Gaming Graphics` sub-scores mention
that my graphics card is simply not detected at all.In fact,it mentions that
the Direct X version is DirectX 8 or earlier whereas the graphics card is
fully DirectX 9 compliant.Even when I right-click the desktop and choose
`Personalise>Display Settings` and then choose `Advanced Settings`,my
`Adapter Type` is listed to be blank,with all other fields in the `Adapter
tab` having a value of either `<unavailable>` or `n/a`,for the memory amount
fields.If I click `Properties` here,I get the properties for the `VgaSave`
non-Plug and Play drivers,all because the on-board graphics controller needs
to be disabled somehow in order to get the NVidia graphics card access the
resources it needs.My other Windows Experience Index sub-scores are 1.3 for
the processor,1.5 for the memory and 5.2 for the hard-disk.I am sure my
graphics card can go higher than 1.0 and thereby increase my overall WEI
index,since at present graphics and gaming graphics are the lowest subscores.

Many thanks for reading the long message.Sorry for the trouble.

Hiren Mehta.