Changed User folder name, lost documents

jinnii

I did it, and I am mortified. While logged on as Administrator, I
changed my User Name, then changed the name of the associated folder
under Documents and Settings to reflect the new name, logged back on
under changed User Name, and all settings, folders and documents are
gone.

I realised right away that I should not have changed the folder name,
so I re-logged on as Administrator, and will not touch the laptop until
this is resolved. I am using another computer with hope that I can
somehow recover the files.

Please tell me if there is _any way_ to recover these files myself. I
am very patient, and am able to use the registry editor, etc. if
needed.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

I did it, and I am mortified. While logged on as Administrator, I
changed my User Name, then changed the name of the associated folder
under Documents and Settings to reflect the new name, logged back on
under changed User Name, and all settings, folders and documents are
gone.

I realised right away that I should not have changed the folder name,
so I re-logged on as Administrator, and will not touch the laptop until
this is resolved. I am using another computer with hope that I can
somehow recover the files.

Please tell me if there is _any way_ to recover these files myself. I
am very patient, and am able to use the registry editor, etc. if
needed.

Your files and folders are not lost - they are simply in a folder
other than the one where you're looking. Log on as Administrator,
then explore what's under c:\Documents and Settings. I bet you
will find them in no time at all.

Your question suggests that you don't believe in backing up
your files. There is an iron rule of computing: All important
files must be backed up regularly, e.g. once a week, to an
independent medium. Many people ignore this rule until they
lose the lot for some reason or other. This can be a very
expensive lesson - much, much more expensive than buying
a 2.5" hard disk now plus an external USB case to match.

jinnii

backing up, but sadly I am a dreadful procrastinator. Or should I say,
quite a good one.

Some files on the laptop in question (laptop-1) were already backups of
those on my main PC, but many more were new. I was using laptop-1 as a
first generation storage medium, really. I'd just brought home a big
external HD and a "new" laptop to replace no-1. I was in the process
of adding laptop-2 to my newly revised network, and needed to create a
unified logon for all computers on my network. Rather than just move
the files, I obsessivly decided to change the name of my old user
account to reflect the new logon first, that's when I went in and did
the same to the folders. Really stupid. Anyway, I just plain wasn't
thinking. I really do know better, and that's why I'm so bl___y mad at
myself.

As for the first part of your reply, I'd already looked while on as
Admin, and all folders in question are are populated with fresh user
files. I didn't just re-name the folder; what I did was really quite
convoluted. **

I recall seeing somewhere a post about recovering lost or deleted user
files via a search for files with a *dot* in the file name, stored in a
temp directory, but it was complicated. I don't mind, I just wondered
if there is a chance.

** I can give a more detailed timeline of events if needed.

Thanks... --J

Pegasus \(MVP\)

I won't contribute any longer to this thread because I
do not believe in duplication of work. You decided to
multi-post your question in several newsgroups, which
is greatly frowned upon. Use cross-posting instead so
that everyone can see what everyone else writes.

jinnii

Wow, I am one lucky grup. Thank you both. I found and copied to my
new backup storage drive all of my misplaced files.

I also found an older post (see reference at bottom) which was very
detailed and helpful in sorting out what happened to me and why.

Pegasus, you were right to scold me (albeit gently) for neglecting to
back up my files. It was a h___ of a lesson to learn; I am still
shaken up over nearly losing more than 17 GB of my work.

I am sorry about the additional posting of my question to
win2000.general earlier. I was so upset at my mistake, that I was
worried no one would get to my question for a while on the three groups
that I _had_ cross-posted to, and win2000.general seemed more active.

Lanwench, thank you for your reminder to display hidden/system files
while logged on as Administrator. After the shock of not seeing any of
my settings or files when I logged on to what was supposed to be my
User account, it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't have changed the
file view in that User account since it wasn't really my actual
account. Another thing that I believe helped, was restoring the
several Documents and Settings folders I'd deleted while logged on as
Administrator when I first started fussing with the Folder names,
trying to get them to reflect the changed User Names. Again, the post
mentioned below and the two Microsoft articles really helped me
understand what I had done.

Thank you again. --J

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
From: (e-mail address removed) (Amy)
Date: 17 May 2004 20:41:41 -0700
Subject: Missing Folders in Documents & Settings for New Users

[snipped]

KB283111 - Logon Name Does Not Match Name in Task Manager or
Under Documents and Settings
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;283111

KB324734 - HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=324734