Outlook.com Web Based Email Display Name

Reaction score
Our HOA president setup Outlook.com emails for all board members: (e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed), etc...

We have a new board this year and we want to use the accounts setup last year to keep all of the emails from year to year. We each went in and changed the profile name from the previous board member to our current names. That all works fine, but when I send an email, and I check my "sent" folder, the sent email shows the previous board member's name still!!

I have inspected the element and it can be changed, but only temporarily. I don't know java scripting, but am trying to learn. When I look at the page source, I see his name at least three times in the string. How can I change it so my name is the only name showing on the sent email instead of his? So basically, in the "sent" folder, on an email I just sent, the senders name is his, not mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :). I've changed the example e-mail addresses you used, just in case they were the real ones - as spammers scout the internet to add e-mails to a database.

Could you explain a little bit more about your setup please, as I'm confused about the script part. Do you all have Outlook.com accounts and they are all accessed via the web interface only? If you access your e-mail via an E-Mail client and Outlook.com then you'll need to change the Name details in both.

If you can give us a bit more info then I'm sure we can help somehow :).

When you say inspected the element, do you mean when you press F12 in the browser? If so, that's only for debugging and can't make any permanent changes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you, I hadn't thought of that!

All five board members are using Outlook.com for our emails. This was setup last year by the board president for all five members with their prospective titles. This year, a new board was elected and the old board gave us their passwords. We changed the passwords and the profile names. When we send an email, and check the sent email, it still shows the old board member's name as the sender. Our current names our in the body of the email by way of "signatures."

When I go to the sent folder and to his name as the sender and right click to inspect element or to go to the page source, I see lots of scripting and see his name. I can temporarily change it in the inspect element feature, but not sure how to fix anywhere else or what code or script it is pulling from.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you are just using the web interface (and no e-mail client like Outlook 2016 or Thunderbird), then it should work by changing the details here for each user :):
  1. Login to https://profile.live.com/ through the web browser.
  2. Click on Edit next to your name.
  3. Type your name in the respective textbox for First Name and Last Name and then select Save.
Inspecting the elements like that is just relating to the source code of the page and doesn't have anything to do with changing the name, it's just what Outlook.com sends to your browser to display the page.

Reaction score
Yes, we all did that. For some reason though, once we send and email, the sent email is still in the last board member's name. Here is some of the page source: My name is Allison. Old member was Brett

Mail Boxes","RE\x26\x2358\x3b Mail Boxes","Show this message...",new HM.SenderDetails("Brett Hennie","Allison Rodgers","Example1\x40outlook.com","Example1\x40outlook.com","Brett Hennie","c5bd42a3-f949-46c3-ba24-295318cfb798","d9309d4de5f809a2","-2796562410700797534",false,true,

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, that is strange... Can you try sending a test e-mail to someone not in your organisation (perhaps a personal e-mail account) to test and see how the name looks? I wonder if it's looking at an address book entry to provide the name?

Reaction score
I have updated my address book, as the rest of the board members have as well. I sent one to my yahoo, and it still shows sent by:

Brett Hennie

10:51 AM

Reaction score
I check all of my contacts and he is no longer listed in my contacts anywhere. I believe it has to be in the coding/scripting??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The code/script is generated from Outlook.com when rendering the page (unless you're using some sort of custom plugin, which I'm not aware of?).It may be that you need to contact Outlook.com support to find out if there is a bug somewhere (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/).

The only other thing I can think of is that if you're using Office365 to provide user accounts, you may need to rename them in the admin section. Whoever is the Office365 admin should be able to do this at the following URL:

https://portal.office.com/AdminPortal/Home?switchtomoderndefault=true#/users

Reaction score
No custom plug in that I am aware of. Thanks for the information. I will contact MS for help. I am not using Office365, but he may have when he set these up. If so, would he have to fix or can I?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You'd need to do it from whoever has the admin account (assuming it's Office365 based), as that user assigns permissions and display names. Microsoft support may be able to tell you what setup you have if the original employee that configured the service is no longer there.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My pleasure :). I'd be really grateful if you could let us know what they suggest, in case anyone else has this problem.

Ask a Question