Windows XP Change XP as default pic viewer?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Within WIN XP Pro does anybody know if you can change XP's picture viewer not to act as default?

I can open Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop 6.1 and then open a picture within them but even if I set one of those two programmes up as default, whenever I click on a picture file it opens in XP's viewer.

S' driving me nuts :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It is easy but longwinded.

Open “windows explorer/tools/file types” ... scroll down to any bmp, jpg etc ... highlight it and you will see "opens with" and "change" ... just change it to whatever paint programme you wish.

Have fun. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mucks, but it doesn't seem to work.

I done as you suggested, changed each picture format to open with Paint Shop Pro.

I then opened a picture file and it still opened in Windows Picture and Fax viewer.

I then opened the properties of that picture and it was shown as 'opens with Paint Shop Pro'. :confused:

Interestingly, Adobe Photshop wasn't shown as an option to open with out of the list of programs. That is very probably because I haven't used it yet :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, that is a little peculiar, works ok for me. :confused:

Try "browse" for Photoshop.

Reaction score
I know of one way you could fix the problem for Paint Shop Pro.

Open Pain Shop Pro and go to File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Scroll down through the list and check/uncheck the file types you want to open with Paint Shop Pro and click OK.

This should have associated the files types you want with the program. If not, close the program and restart your computer. This will fix any little niggles in the system's registry.

I hope this helps. If not, PM me and I'll investigate into the problem further.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Scott, I'll give it a try. Not sure if it will work as when I view my pic files in Explorer, they're shown with PSP logos already.

But, will try and let you know.

Reaction score
thats why i hate XP... why the hell does all Microsoft products need to be used to open stuff you already have a program for?? i understand them putting them in the OS so people can use them... but for god sakes let us use our own software when we install it.. well thats why i went back to win2k.... and use linux on my second box for that matter...

Reaction score
When browsing"open with" go to your Photoshop folder and select Pshop.exe 4 adobe or the equivelent app in PSP.;)

Reaction score
click any image file's properties. open with .. click change button - select the program which you want to open it by default, dont forget to tick the box situated in below corner, always use to...... , if you cant see the program there, just browse for it in common programs files folder c:/program files/ .... search for the main exe file and click ok. you are done.. :) if you are still facing the problems... ************************* :nod:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
why do people insist on resurrecting threads that are ridiculously old. Check the date before randomly attempting to solve someone's problems. I am thinking that after 9 years, this problem would have been resolved or formatted out.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Looks like new member Aslam is going through the database and resurrecting old threads!

Ask a Question