Change the directory the "My Documents" key goes to.

how do you change the location of the directory the shortcut buttons for my
picture my documents my music etc take you to? I have created a new my
documents folder on a separate partition on the hard drive to keep documents
away from programmes. This certainly made things a lot easier when I had to
reinstall Windows.

Gordon

David Smith UK baker said:
how do you change the location of the directory the shortcut buttons for
my
picture my documents my music etc take you to? I have created a new my
documents folder on a separate partition on the hard drive to keep
documents
away from programmes. This certainly made things a lot easier when I had
reinstall Windows.

Right-click on the "My Documents" icon, select "Properties" and in the
"Target" tab, select "Move".

Gerry Cornell

David

Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move ) the
contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files in your
My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use Shift + Delete
to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to change Default File
locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you use. For Word go to Tools,
Options, File Locations, highlight Documents, click on Modify and change
file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options, General and change default file
path.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gordon

Gerry Cornell said:
David

Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move )
the
contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files in your
My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use Shift +
to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to change Default File
locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you use. For Word go to
Tools,
Options, File Locations, highlight Documents, click on Modify and change
file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options, General and change default file
path.

And if the OP uses the "Move" function in My Documents properties, he won't
have to do ANY of that - it will all be done automatically!

John John

Gerry said:
David

Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move ) the
contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files in your
My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use Shift + Delete
to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to change Default File
locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you use. For Word go to Tools,
Options, File Locations, highlight Documents, click on Modify and change
file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options, General and change default file
path.

Don't forget to change the registry Shell Folders Value Data Paths now...

I'm sure that you know that isn't the way to move the My Documents folder.

John

Gordon

John John said:
Don't forget to change the registry Shell Folders Value Data Paths now...

I'm sure that you know that isn't the way to move the My Documents folder.

John

he's a "Chartered" Accountant - what do you expect! ;-)

Ayush

Move "My Documents" Folder :
.... Right click "My documents" folder on your Start menu or Desktop
.... Choose Properties
.... Type the in Target or Click Move button and choose path
.... Click OK

For more Info about moving shell folders:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search - www.Google.com
Want to know about a term - http://en.wikipedia.org

Snip your long urls - http://snipurl.com/

Replied To :

"David Smith UK baker" <David Smith UK (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
| how do you change the location of the directory the shortcut buttons for
my
| picture my documents my music etc take you to? I have created a new my
| documents folder on a separate partition on the hard drive to keep
documents
| away from programmes. This certainly made things a lot easier when I had
| reinstall Windows.

Ken Blake, MVP

David said:
how do you change the location of the directory the shortcut buttons
for my picture my documents my music etc take you to? I have created
a new my documents folder on a separate partition on the hard drive
to keep documents away from programmes. This certainly made things a
lot easier when I had to reinstall Windows.

You have a special keyboard with extra buttons to take you to these
locations?

Go to Control Panel | Keyboard.

Ken Blake said:
You have a special keyboard with extra buttons to take you to these
locations?

Go to Control Panel | Keyboard.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Yes I have a Mirosoft Multimedia keyboard

but on the control panel icon there is no facility to change the extra keys
destinations.

Ken Blake, MVP

David said:
Yes I have a Mirosoft Multimedia keyboard

but on the control panel icon there is no facility to change the
extra keys destinations.

I have a similar (perhaps the same) keyboard. Go to Control Panel |
Keyboard, and click the "Key Settings" tab. Do you not have the facility
there?

Ken Blake said:
I have a similar (perhaps the same) keyboard. Go to Control Panel |
Keyboard, and click the "Key Settings" tab. Do you not have the facility
there?

Please reply to the newsgroup

no I do not, I do not have any kind of installation disk for this keyboard. Can I download one from any Microsoft site? I think that is the problem, after reinstalling Windows I do not have the correct drivers for my keyboard.

Gerry Cornell

Ken

I cannot follow your explanation but this is in Help & Support.

To customize key sequences for input languages

1. Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.
2. On the Languages tab, under Text services and input
languages, click Details.
3.Under Preferences, click Key Settings.
4. In the Advanced Key Settings dialog box, under Hot keys
for input languages, click the action for which you want to
change the key sequence, and then click Change Key
Sequence.
5. If necessary, select the check box to enable an action, and
then click the key sequence you want to use.
6. Click OK four times.

Notes
To open Regional and Language Options, click Start, click
Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language
Options. The Key Settings button is available only if you
have added multiple languages or keyboard layouts.

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken Blake, MVP

Gerry said:
Ken

I cannot follow your explanation but this is in Help & Support.

To customize key sequences for input languages

No, languages aren't the issue in this case, Gerry. He has a special
multimedia keyboard (as I do) with extra buttons to do things like go to My
Documents, My Pictures, My Music, adjust the volume, etc. he wants to
customize those keys, but apparently doesn't have the correct driver for his
keyboard.