CD-R or DVD-R disks for backup-Query

Blair

Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage in using DVD-R disks instead of
CD-R disks when backing up data?
Blair

Phil Weldon

'Blair' wrote:
| Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage in using DVD-R disks instead
of
| CD-R disks when backing up data?
_____

Size matters.

Phil Weldon

| Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage in using DVD-R disks instead
of
| CD-R disks when backing up data?
| Blair

Pop`

Blair said:
Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage in using DVD-R disks
instead of CD-R disks when backing up data?
Blair

Yes. A DVD holds a lot more data and thus a lot fewer of t hem are needed.

Pop1

Blair

Thanks to all who replied.
I notice that there are two varieties DVD-R and DVD+R. What is the
difference and how do I know which to use?
Blair

Phil Weldon

'Blair' wrote:
| I notice that there are two varieties DVD-R and DVD+R. What is the
| difference and how do I know which to use?
_____

Which blank media to use is determined by the CD/DVD writer you have; some
are DVD-R, some are DVD+R, some can use both recording methods. You MUST
use the proper blank DVDs if your writer is limited to just one recording
method.

Phil Weldon

| Thanks to all who replied.
| I notice that there are two varieties DVD-R and DVD+R. What is the
| difference and how do I know which to use?
| Blair
|

| > Another consideration would be the write speed of your DVD vs. CD

Ayush

Noone gave you the link you actually want [ Differene between -R and +R ]

http://www.systemax.co.uk/contentModules/htm/dvd/What-is-the-difference-between-DVD-+R.htm

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

A forum which has many replies that can help you

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=46630&messageID=552395

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
| Thanks to all who replied.
| I notice that there are two varieties DVD-R and DVD+R. What is the
| difference and how do I know which to use?
| Blair
|

| > Another consideration would be the write speed of your DVD vs. CD

Blair

Thanks for your excellent references. I have certainly learnt a lot fro
them.
I have checked my hardware and found that I only have a combo drive for
DVD/CDRW so I won't be able to create DVDs as a backup. I should have
thought about this when I purchased my new PC. Ah well ! we live and learn
Blair

Ayush said:
Noone gave you the link you actually want [ Differene between -R and +R ]

http://www.systemax.co.uk/contentModules/htm/dvd/What-is-the-difference-between-DVD-+R.htm

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

A forum which has many replies that can help you

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=46630&messageID=552395

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
| Thanks to all who replied.
| I notice that there are two varieties DVD-R and DVD+R. What is the
| difference and how do I know which to use?
| Blair
|

| > Another consideration would be the write speed of your DVD vs. CD

Ayush

You are welcome. Oh..yes, we live and learn.

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
| Thanks for your excellent references. I have certainly learnt a lot fro
| them.
| I have checked my hardware and found that I only have a combo drive for
| DVD/CDRW so I won't be able to create DVDs as a backup. I should have
| thought about this when I purchased my new PC. Ah well ! we live and learn
| Blair
|
| "Ayush" <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote in message
| | > Noone gave you the link you actually want [ Differene between -R and
+R ]

http://www.systemax.co.uk/contentModules/htm/dvd/What-is-the-difference-between-DVD-+R.htm

| > http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
| >
| > A forum which has many replies that can help you

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=46630&messageID=552395

| > --
| >> Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
| > | I notice that there are two varieties DVD-R and DVD+R. What is the
| > | difference and how do I know which to use?
| > | Blair
| > |
| > |

'Blair' wrote, in part:
| I have checked my hardware and found that I only have a combo drive for
| DVD/CDRW so I won't be able to create DVDs as a backup.
_____

If you have a desktop, an internal DVD RW drive can be had for less than $40
US (in the US.) I expect the cost is much higher in the UK, but it is an
option, particularly if you plan to keep the computer for some time.

Phil Weldon