Can't get rid of Norton Protected Recycle Bin

G

Gary Burton

I have 2 computers that used to have Norton Utilities 2002 installed, and I am trying to uninstall it from both. I am having trouble getting rid of the Noton Protected Recycle Bin. I have 3 related questions

1) On one machine, the functionality still remains even through I have uninstalled NU. I have re-installed and uninstalled again, but I can't get rid of the apparent functionality of the Norton Protected Recycle Bin. When I right-click on the icon and select "properties", there is till a "Norton Protection" tab.

2) On the other machine, the functionality is gone, but the Recycle Bin is still named "Norton Protected Recycle Bin" and I have not been able to find a way to rename it. Please tell me how it can be done.

3) Is there a good uninstaller product to help out in situations like this? Cleansweep was good in its day, but it doesn't seem to work well with WinXP.

G

Gary Burton

Thanks! Your suggestions helped. I now have it disabled and renamed,
but I still have residue from Norton in my system.

I seem to have a systemic problem, and I am seeing strange behaviors all
over the place. Over the next few days (if I can't get it fixed otherwise),
I want to collect all the information about these symptoms and post it in
hopes that someone can find a pattern.

I would value your comment on that posting.

D

Don

You might also try SYMNRT.exe. If you can't find it at the Symantec
website try finding it with a Google search. That program cleans up
most if not all of the problems caused my the Norton system programs.
Good luck.

Ask a Question