in my Wintools folder (they are .exe files) when I try to
delete them I get msg that they are in use by another
program and can't delete. Is there anyway to get these
files off? Norton's detects them as "at-risk" files but
can't delete. Txs much.
Reboot in "safe mode" and rerun your scans

G

Hi Karen
I'm having the same problem but some of the solutions i tried (and didnt work for me) may work for you:
so....(my apologies if i tell you stuff you know...no idea how experienced you are with pc's)
First....put the pc into safe mode (press f8 whilst booting up until you get the option to start in safe mode)
Then....run all you anti virus programs. Try getting cwshredder as well and running that as well but run the Norton anti virus first.

If that doesnt do it then try this:

1. write down the location/name of the files
2. close ALL open programs (including messenger programs running in the background etc)
3. click Start--->Run----->type "taskmngr.exe" (no quotes though--may have spelt that wrong...you can use ctrl-alt-del to get it up as well)
4. Start----->Run---->type "cmd" to get a command prompt window up
5. under "Processes" in the task manager window find explorer.exe and end the process. You should now have just task manager and the command prompt window open...nothing else...no desktop icons etc. DO NOT CLOSE task manager! :)
6. go to the command prompt window....navigate to the directory with the nasty files in it and type "Del *.*" where *.* is the file names.
7. Hopefully you've been able to delete them....so now close the command prompt window....go back to task manager.....File---->New task----> type "explorer.exe" (again without the quotes obviously) and all should be running smoothly again.

Hope that helps! Now...if i can just find someone to fix mine...............
:)

Ask a Question